cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyers fee

I sold an item with $49.50 plus shipping $7.92 and i received in my account  $47.17

Please explain me why is that when buyer paid $63.58

Thank you for your help.Emanuel

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: buyers fee

ebay fees + final value fees on shipping and sales tax. You can't sell on eBay for free.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

@emanuel48 wrote:

I sold an item with $49.50 plus shipping $7.92 and i received in my account  $47.17

Thank you for your help.Emanuel

In order for us to explain it to you, will need to provide us with all the relevant numbers.

• item price
  • shipping charge
  • sales tax
  • the item category
  • your store subscription level
  • shipping label cost
  • any promoted listing fees
  • any below standard penalty fees
  • any seller metrics penalty fees
  • any international transaction fees
  • any other fees that apply to your item
  • the details of all the other debits or credits referenced in your payout detail

Once you take the time to gather all those numbers,  you will probably answer your own question. But if not, feel free to post all the numbers and ask more specific questions.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@emanuel48 

eBay collects/remits the sales tax portion

seems the FVF for watches is 15% of the total + $0.30

$47.17 looks pretty close to correct.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

@emanuel48 

The fees for that transaction should have been calculated like this. The calculations are off by about $0.41, so I think that you got the numbers off by a small amount.

Paid by Buyer:  Charged on:   (Comments)
    Purchase price  $  49.50 
    Shipping  $    7.92 
    Subtotal  $  57.42 
    Sales tax10.73% $    6.16Subtotal; buyer's rate
  Total payment  $  63.58 

Paid by seller:  (FVF = Final Value Fee)
    FVF Variable15.00% $    9.54Total payment (rate for Watches category)
    FVF fixed $    0.30 $    0.30(Per order)
  Subtotal fees  $    9.84 
  Total fees  $    9.84 
  Shipping label  $       -  (if paid from pending funds)

Paid by buyer:   
    Sales tax  $    6.16(Remitted to Buyer's tax authority)

Total deductions  $  16.00(Total fees + Shipping label + Buyer's tax)

Payout  $  47.58(Total payment - Total deductions)
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

ebay isn't a charity to help you sell things. ebay makes money off each item you sell. hopefully that clears up the misconceptions. 

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

The 41 cents could be the difference in the retail vs. discounted shipping label.

@emanuel48 

Don't forget that your buyer also paid sales tax.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

No No NO .I do not accept the answer. It is ridiculous. The buyer paid $ 63.58 to ebay. You said the ebay charged 15% . From which amount 15% ???? 15 % from the great total  63.58 equal $9.53 

or you charged $16.41  

Sorry ,but up to my matt skills (and I have 17 years of education )there doesn't make any sens. 

Please let me know where is the mistake. or where is the logic on this calculus. Best regards ,Ema

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

I received for this item $ 47.17 If I subtract $7.92 which I  paid for shipping remain   $39.25 which represent 21% from the amount I sold for . where is 15% promised by ebay?

Now I sold other item for $84 but ebay  paid me $76.89

If I subtract shipping paid by me $7.40  remain $69.49  That is in reality money collect for an item sold for $84

$84-$69.49=  $14.51

There is more then 15% as ebay said  seller should be charged for a item sold. 

Just think about 

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

I received for this item $ 47.17 If I subtract $7.92 which I  paid for shipping remain   $39.25 which represent 21% from the amount I sold for . where is 15% promised by eBay?

Now I sold other item for $84 but eBay  paid me $76.89

If I subtract shipping paid by me $7.40  remain $69.49  That is in reality money collect for an item sold for $84

$84-$69.49=  $14.51

There is more then 15% as eBay said  seller should be charged for a item sold. 

Just think about 

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@emanuel48 wrote:

I received for this item $ 47.17 If I subtract $7.92 which I  paid for shipping remain   $39.25 which represent 21% from the amount I sold for . where is 15% promised by ebay?

Now I sold other item for $84 but ebay  paid me $76.89

$84-$69.49=  $14.51

There is more then 15% as ebay said  seller should be charged for a item sold. 

Just think about 

Go back and re-read the fee breakdown that lacemaker3 did for you.  It is very well done and does a good job of explaining exactly how the fees work.  

eBay charges a final value fee on the entire sale amount, not just the price of the item.  It is calculated off of the full amount which includes sales tax and shipping.  You don't get to keep the sales tax collected, that amount gets pulled back out before they give you the final amount due.  You can't deduct the shipping cost you paid and then calculate the fees.  eBay calculates the fees on the total amount invoiced to the buyer, not the amount after you remove the shipping.

Not every sale will include sales tax.  That is based on the state it is being shipped to and the category.  (some states have no sales tax, some states don't tax clothing,  etc.) 

Also, eBay does not "promise" a 15% fee.  They "promise" to charge the correct fee percentage for the category you listed something in (they are all different) plus 30 cents for the entire invoice amount.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@emanuel48 wrote:

I received for this item $ 47.17 If I subtract $7.92 which I  paid for shipping remain   $39.25 which represent 21% from the amount I sold for . where is 15% promised by eBay?

Now I sold other item for $84 but eBay  paid me $76.89

$84-$69.49=  $14.51

There is more then 15% as eBay said  seller should be charged for a item sold. 

Just think about 

No, you think about it. eBay charges their fee on the item price, shipping, and sales tax. If you want to take that total fee and divide it only by the item price, you will obviously get a higher percentage. But if you divide it by the FULL payment made by the buyer, you'll see the actual % you were charged.

We know how it works; we don't need you to explain your incorrect way of doing it.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@emanuel48 wrote:

No No NO .I do not accept the answer. It is ridiculous. The buyer paid $ 63.58 to ebay. You said the ebay charged 15% . From which amount 15% ???? 15 % from the great total  63.58 equal $9.53 

or you charged $16.41  

Sorry ,but up to my matt skills (and I have 17 years of education )there doesn't make any sens. 

Please let me know where is the mistake. or where is the logic on this calculus. Best regards ,Ema

You forgot to also deduct the sales tax that the buyer paid from your payout.  eBay holds the sales tax and remits it to the state the buyer had the item shipped to. 

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Have you read the excellent reply by lacemaker3? With the breakdown of your fees?

You did not pay for shipping.  Your buyer paid you for shipping and you used those funds to pay for shipping.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply