cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer w/ 4 positive feedback showing, but 7 feedback show when checking i.d.

Hi,

I've got a bidder competing on something I didn't think would sell for much.  They have feedback of only 4 showing.  In my listings I ask people with fewer than 5 to contact me before bidding, to verify that they're legit.  So, this one being on the margin, I clicked on the buyer's i.d. to see if there was anything interesting.   Sometimes people are just new buyers, of course.   In this case, while the feedback number next to their i.d. in the listing was 4, when checking out their buyer i.d. info it showed 7 feedback, with 4 in the last 6 months.  Why is there the discrepancy?  I've never seen what's shown as the total, next to the user id, broken down by time period.  Thanks for taking the time to consider.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: buyer w/ 4 positive feedback showing, but 7 feedback show when checking i.d.

they won't show more than one feedback, within a certain time,  from the same buyer, in the total........  ie. if one buyer bought 3 items  from same seller and left feedback all at once.......he will only have a feedback of 1....  There is some kind of time limit on it......I think within 7 days.....if the buyer spaced out the 3 feedback over 3 wks (whatever the time is).......it will show 3 feedback.....

well, now I've confused myself........  I know that's true for a SELLER, not sure if it's true for a buyer........

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: buyer w/ 4 positive feedback showing, but 7 feedback show when checking i.d.

First, the whole 'must have 5' has got to go. It's anti ebay, anti productive, unenforceable and you can't 'cancel' bids because they have less than. New buyers daily is what makes this place grow. 

2- many don't see/read or look at 'messages' after they bid; if they bid on 1 item and it's got 4 days to go, they may not be back until day 4.

Regarding your original reason for posting- they had '4' when they bid, and since then got 3 more. Many sellers (myself included) automate feedback for buyers, so it's immediate. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Any feedback left from the same buyer or seller in a week's time counts as one in the score count.

In other words,  you buy three items from me and I leave you three feedback comments at the same time. Your feedback TOTAL increases by three, but your feedback SCORE increases by one.

And you can't require a buyer to contact you like that. I mean, I guess you can ask, but it's not good business and Ebay won't back you on it if you cancel their purchase.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

they won't show more than one feedback, within a certain time,  from the same buyer, in the total........  ie. if one buyer bought 3 items  from same seller and left feedback all at once.......he will only have a feedback of 1....  There is some kind of time limit on it......I think within 7 days.....if the buyer spaced out the 3 feedback over 3 wks (whatever the time is).......it will show 3 feedback.....

well, now I've confused myself........  I know that's true for a SELLER, not sure if it's true for a buyer........

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Feedback for purchases made during the same week (which eBay defines as Monday through Sunday) will only be counted once. You yourself have a feedback score which is over 70 points lower than your total feedback received due to this policy.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 3.19.44 PM.png

Message 5 of 5
latest reply