cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer starts return - item not as described

A buyer purchased an item from me November 13th. Buyer starts return and sends me photos of the item that does not match the item I sent, not close. I did a search for sold items and found on November 12th the same item but different condition and cheaper price was purchased. This buyer is wanting to return the lesser item to me for a refund. Anyone have this happen? What was done to resolve it?

I inserted a couple photos, my item is on the top and the other is the lesser one if you look closer you can see the spare tire has a chunk out of it.

matchbox 1928 Mercedes Y-16 from seller bus4bargains sold 11-12-2023 -3.jpgmatchbox 1928 Mercedes Y-16 from seller bus4bargains sold 11-12-2023 -2.jpg

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Honestly, not sure what you can do to avoid the return unless you somehow communicate this with the buyer and they acknowledge this or decide not to proceed?

What I can say is you're TRS+ apparently, so you can withhold up to 50% of the item price when refunding as they are returning the wrong item to you?

Also this is a $10 item. The other item sold for $8. While this may be extremely frustrating in principle, is the $10 item or $2 in apparent value difference worth your time? I would be super aggravated purely on principle but call it a loss from a financial side because it's literally not worth my time to fuss over? I don't know...

If you retain 50% of the price of the item, that should help you financially with it? Especially if you get a return label credit from EBay under TRS protections? 

Good luck

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

eBay has no idea what you actually sent, so you will lose if you fight it.

Pictures don't matter. If a seller has two of the same item takes pictures of the good item but ships the defective item, how would eBay know? They don't, so because of this the seller would lose.

Because you offer no returns you have two options

-Provide a free return label and issue a full refund once returned.

or

-Issue full refund without return.

If you don't have an item sent back you can't report them because you have no evidence to claim they sent something different back. If you do have the item sent back to you and it's different then you can report the buyer for return abuse.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

This is of no help to you at all, but I am just dazzled by the fact that a purchase on the 13th arrived to the buyer before the 16th.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

RIGHT, If they send back a different item, you deduct up to 50 percent off the refund.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

If people play with TRS sellers in this way, they are going to loose.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Sorry the image with 'No Returns' made me think that was your listing.

If you sold it TRS+ you are eligible for the 50% refund and a potential return shipping credit once you get the item back and report it.

Please view this link to understand more on the protections TRS gain when they have a 30 day return policy (Since your listing was TRS+ you qualify).

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

When a seller wants to game the system or isn't intelligent enough to figure out whatever it is your trying to explain to them just do yourself a favor and forget about it.  Take the return, try to get over it quick and add them to your BBL.

You're trying to save the Titanic with a five gallon bucket.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

He cant... the item is no returns

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@awesome_electronics wrote:

He cant... the item is no returns

The OP has Free Returns.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Did you contact the buyer and point out the discrepancies?..........he may just have mixed up who was who.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I read the TRS and its a relief that I won't get a "Not as described" strike against me and negative or neutral feedback will be removed.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Yes the buyer has the same photos as I posted here. I asked if he has me mixed up with the other seller. I haven't heard anything yet. The return shows the package hasn't been shipped yet.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Buyer has the same photos I posted here. I asked if he has me mixed up with the other seller. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Yes, I did yesterday. I am waiting on a reply.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply