cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer request refund, item still on its way to buyer

Buyer requested refund for item that has not arrived by anticipated date. Post office says still in transit. How do I satisfy buyer request and still get my item returned? I am thinking of offering partial refund, full refund once item is returned to me OR declared lost by Post Office. Please advise!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: buyer request refund, item still on its way to buyer

@teltuooutlet wrote:

When we have received this request, we let the buyer know to kindly refuse the delivery of the package so it will be returned by the post office to us. This has worked in the past. In a few instances they have not and we have had to pay for a return label. In this case, we deduct the shipping cost from the refund.

@teltuooutlet 

You aren't handling your issues correctly.

Telling the buyer to refuse and RTS voids buyer protection. There are dishonest sellers who would take advantage of a buyer's loss of buyer protection and although that isn't your intent, telling a buyer to do something that voids their protection is wrong. 

Also, charging the buyer for doing the return correctly because they may want to verify that the item is "as described" or if they changed their mind is also wrong. 

The way to handle it correctly is to have it delivered to the buyer. If buyer opens and wants remorse return, they (buyer) pay for return shipping, purchasing it himself. 

If the buyer opens it and finds it's SNAD, you supply the return label and you pay for return shipping. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

We inform our buyer of this. As I said, in the few instances we have had the buyer refuses and we issue a refund as soon as the package shows it's being returned. 

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

We inform our buyer of this. As I said, in the few instances we have had the buyer refuses and we issue a refund as soon as the package shows it's being returned. We are an honest seller who advises our buyers of the process and let them decide what they want to do. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

This is all understood and I said in previous replies, we inform our buyer of this. While I should have included that in the original reply, to inform the buyer, it is not wrong to do this if you are communicating with your buyer and they are making their decision. As I said, in the few instances we have had the buyer refuses and we issue a refund as soon as the package shows it's being returned. 

Dishonest sellers are not our problem. There are too many to keep track of what they are and aren't doing. 

We are an honest seller who provides our buyers with the information they need. 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@teltuooutlet wrote:

We are an honest seller who advises our buyers of the process and let them decide what they want to do. 

But that IS NOT the process and is the wrong way to handle it. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

This happened to me with an expensive ring.  After waiting a few weeks and checking on both sides with the PO, the buyer wanted her money refunded.  I refunded and next day the ring was delivered. The buyer issued me a refund through my PayPal account and was very happy to have received the ring.

Luckily this was an honest buyer.  Just make sure that all communication is done through eBay and you talk to an eBay representative so that everything is documented.  If the buyer had kept the ring without paying, eBay would be responsible for refunding the money.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I had something like this happen to me last month - buyer was refunded, then item was delivered, but buyer refused to repay.  How do I get ebay to help?

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@teltuooutlet 

we let the buyer know to kindly refuse the delivery of the package so it will be returned by the post office to us

Of course, this also makes the shipment Undeliverable, and the seller would not be required by eBay to refund anything.

Ethically of course, the seller should refund the payment, less cost of shipping.

And there is no need for the seller to refund until they have the shipment back, which could be quite a long time since Return To Sender mail is not a priority.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply