cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer quick to file for item not received, then requests cancellation

The question here is how do I limit the damage. Buyer pays for an item on 2/13/2018 and I mail it the same day, USPS first class parcel. Apparently he saw an estimated delivery date of 2/16 and when it didn't arrive he opened a case for item not received on 2/17.  Tracking indicates the item is at his post office. Then he writes to me via ebay messaging to say that he found another item, brand new, and cheaper than mine and he wants me to cancel the order. The item not received case is still open at this point. This is a $6.00 cable with free shipping. I allow 30 day returns. I'm just a small seller getting rid of some old stuff but I don't have any negatives yet after 20 years of selling. How can I limit the damage here, or can I? (I posted this earlier but my details were incomplete and I hadn't yet received the request that I cancel the order.)

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I'd just tell him it is too late to cancel since the item was shipped to him.   Leave it at that and then see what happens - don't get into a back & forth.  For a $6 item I really wouldn't be worried one way or the other what happened.   He'll either pick it up or it will go back to you.    

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@rzeidler2003

Do you have a Tracking # for the parcel you sent him?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Make sure you don't let the deadline pass though for responding to the INR dispute.  If he still hasn't picked it up by the last day of the dispute, call ebay and ask it be closed in your favor.  In my experience, if the item is at the PO and buyer hasn't picked up in these cases, they will close in sellers favor. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@livadiawrote:

@rzeidler2003

Yes, it is automatically posted in the transaction information. I'm wondering if I can cancel the transaction with INR still open.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@green-nightwrote:

I'd just tell him it is too late to cancel since the item was shipped to him.   Leave it at that and then see what happens - don't get into a back & forth.  For a $6 item I really wouldn't be worried one way or the other what happened.   He'll either pick it up or it will go back to you.    

Can I cancel it with the INR open is one question. No I don't really care about, but I would hate to get my first negative after 20 years over something like this.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Feedback means nothing these days! A neg is not something to be scared off as a professional responce negates that negative from the buyer. They want you to cancel so they will then go to the PO and pick up the cable. You've refunded their money and they get the cable for free - don't fall for it.

Call Ebay - give them the tracking number and ask for an extension since the item will be delivered Tues or the PO couldn't deliver it and the buyer received a notice to pick it up and they haven't yet.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@rzeidler2003wrote:

@livadiawrote:

@rzeidler2003

Yes, it is automatically posted in the transaction information. I'm wondering if I can cancel the transaction with INR still open.

As long as you do have proof through tracking that the item is sitting at the post office and he has not picked it up, don't do that. If you do the buyer will have the item and your money.  You need to get the item back first.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Does the tracking indicate it's at his post office waiting for him to pick it up or has it just reached the area and likely to go out for delivery on Tuesday?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Your other thread:  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-opens-case-for-item-not-delivered-nearly-a-week-before-d...

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I believe that they tried to deliver the item. For a few hours it showed a status of mis-sent or something like that. I believe the buyer is in a bit of a rural area, other wise I don't know. Status just says "Delayed" with giving a reason. I also think that since I accept returns for 30 days eBay would consider me obligated to accept a return for whatever reason. My buyer muddied the water by filing for INR rather than just waiting for the item and then requesting a return.  I am wonder if I should report him and how just to alert ebay. His one feedback left was a negative because the seller charged a 20% restocking fee. I'm not expecting him to be reasonable. And in any case I don't want the cable back, I was just trying to keep it out of the landfill and have it count as a sale. All told I might have made about $1.75 on the sale. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Enter the tracking informtion into the INR case, EVEN IF IT IS ALREADY THERE.  This is an eBay requirement that will protect your account.  Then CALL and ask for an extension on the case because the package is waiting for the buyer at the post office.  Do this FIRST.

Then reply to the case that you cannot cancel it, but it is as the post office waiting for him to pick up or he may call USPS and reschedule delivery.  Next, let him know that he may return it for a full refund.   Do NOT offer to pay the return shipping. 

Do NOT worry about a neg.  eBay doesn't count it for anything.  I got one a couple years ago and my sales for the next year were better than ever. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Missent just means it was put on the wrong truck and was sent to the wrong PO for delivery.  Of course it would happen to the package with an impatient buyer who no longer wants the item.  And of course, Monday is a holiday.  Can you say Murphy's Law?

Missent usually remedies itself in 24 hours as the package is generally in the buyer's locale.

It can be tough to appease a buyer in this situation.

I might try something like this (but then again I might not):

The cable was shipped the same day as payment and arrived to your area timely.  Once it got to your area though, USPS missent it to another local post office for delivery which is why there is a delay.   That will sort itself out in 24 hours. 

I also received your message today requesting to cancel and I could have done so had it not already shipped.  Once an item ships, the transaction cannot be cancelled.  We do have a 30 day return policy and will gladly take it back.

While I wouldn't want a negative either, I don't let fear dictate my actions.  Keep it professional, calm and factual.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@myboardidwrote:

Enter the tracking informtion into the INR case, EVEN IF IT IS ALREADY THERE.  This is an eBay requirement that will protect your account.  Then CALL and ask for an extension on the case because the package is waiting for the buyer at the post office.  Do this FIRST.

Then reply to the case that you cannot cancel it, but it is as the post office waiting for him to pick up or he may call USPS and reschedule delivery.  Next, let him know that he may return it for a full refund.   Do NOT offer to pay the return shipping. 

Do NOT worry about a neg.  eBay doesn't count it for anything.  I got one a couple years ago and my sales for the next year were better than ever. 

Ok, I checked status of the package and I was wrong about this detail. It apparently went to a post office and then back to the local distribution center and is one its way to the correct Post Office. Hopefully.  And I did add the tracking number to the INF case (just now), thanks for that advice.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@green-nightwrote:

Make sure you don't let the deadline pass though for responding to the INR dispute.  If he still hasn't picked it up by the last day of the dispute, call ebay and ask it be closed in your favor.  In my experience, if the item is at the PO and buyer hasn't picked up in these cases, they will close in sellers favor. 

@green-night  Recent changes to CS handling of INR cases - seller cannot close the case for 3 business days.

@rzeidler2003  I wouldn't tell the buyer anything.  I'd ignore the case up to the date of escalation since tracking has already been uploaded...make sure tracking is uploaded!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 15 of 15
latest reply