cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer left false positive

A buyer has left false positive feedback on a transaction and refuses to return the item causing me to stop selling and hide my feedback profile, I cant call eBay, no way to talk in person to eBay customer service, I want it removed and I blocked this person. I am upset, and need help

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: buyer left false positive

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff. As long as you have been on eBay if this is the first issue you have had consider yourself fortunate. As others noted at least the buyer left a positive as opposed to a negative, they kept the item and did not ask for a return or open a NAD or a chargeback. You have added the buyer to your BBL forget about it and move on. You are a TRS and absolutely everything else looks good with regards to your account.

As annadryl noted sometimes it takes a thick skin to sell online. I have more issues with eBay in general, i.e the lack of quality support, than I do with my customers. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

What you are calling a "false positive" is better than a negative. The customer wasn't completely happy with the item but still left you a positive feedback. Would you rather have a negative?

You replying to that feedback only brings attention to it. If you left it alone, it would have gone un-noticed.

I don't see ebay removing that feedback as I don't see that it violates any policies.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Do you mean that promotes good will and I should do that to other sellers also? I dont think that is right, because I want my buyer to be happy and they were not. They left damaging feedback and will not send the item back, I offered to pay for a shipping label. I inspected that rough with a microscope gem viewing machine, and I know it was clean. I know it had no crack, this same buyer has done this before to me, I am upset and tired of things like this happening to me on eBay..., what your saying is, every buyer can do this,and I should do it also, your saying I should buy things and do the same, you are wrong, I want to hear from the others, I want their advice, I want to start selling again and raise my score to 1000 and get my certificate from ebay, discouraged and afraid to sell or buy anything here now. I hear you, you say I brought this upon myself, I dont like it, there must be some way to get rid of it, they use to do that for sellers if you called them. Thanks 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Who cares? Why are you worried about something that will have zero impact on your business? A positive is a positive. If it's green, I don't really care what they say. Get over it, stop worrying about it so much and don't take feedback personal as feedback doesn't even matter anyway. Keep in mind that absolutely not matter what you do, you will NEVER NEVER NEVER be able to please everyone, regardless of how hard you try.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

(@)(@)  I hate Falsies!  

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

If you don’t want future potential buyers reading the feedback, the solution is to make a lot of quick listings and hope positive feedback from others will bury this offending one or force it off the front page altogether.

In addition, make several inexpensive purchases on eBay to receive positive feedback from sellers, thereby also quickly burying the false positive. Most people don’t bother to dig too deep when they see a score of 100%. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Things could have gone SO much worse like returns, chargebacks etc. This was only a barely noticeable false-pos.

Don't take it so personally. It takes thick skin to sell online.

Get a good night sleep and it will pass. Don't worry about that green donut, no one would notice if you hadn't replied...

*edit* dyslexic typist here

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

You seem wise, but I am going to stay off eBay because lately, my neighbors and I have gotten really rotten things that we bought and just threw them away because it was not even worth the time to return them, and we are getting the same from amazon, complete junk that works for a few weeks, then just breaks. The added pressure of trying to find unique good condition collectibles and antiques to sell and compete while we are bombarded with ridiculous low ball offers is demoralizing. The whole online experience is crumbling to all of us, it seems. Records all say mint then when we get them they are gritty and scratched, our time is just not worth the people, and the trouble anymore. I will just take a break from eBay until I can find something that I can sell regular and is in high demand, after 8 years of learning and trying to do that, all I am is frustrated and becoming mentally ill.I live 40 miles from the nike factory headquarters and have access to hundreds of pairs of them and feel I should not even dare to try to sell those that my brother inlaw gets because he works there, he offered me a few crates from 6 years ago, I say forget it, you just cant win because some dood in china will out sell you. Our neighbor sell one arm shirts, and that is what happened to them, china stated out selling after they invested ten grand in equipment, now her fabric shear sits unused, same with my rock saw, you cant win, you cant recoup your investment or break even, all the while eBay want to lend us more money, then you get behind and they slap a lien on your house.  But thanks

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff. As long as you have been on eBay if this is the first issue you have had consider yourself fortunate. As others noted at least the buyer left a positive as opposed to a negative, they kept the item and did not ask for a return or open a NAD or a chargeback. You have added the buyer to your BBL forget about it and move on. You are a TRS and absolutely everything else looks good with regards to your account.

As annadryl noted sometimes it takes a thick skin to sell online. I have more issues with eBay in general, i.e the lack of quality support, than I do with my customers. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

The feedback was not that noticeable until you added that response. I see you removed your listings. Might be a good idea to take a break.

You needed to work on those photos anyways. That would be something positive to work on.

As another poster suggested, consider buying some items from eBay that you regularly use around the house. Stay away from the cheap overseas products.

You can get a few feedbacks from buying and move that one you don't like down the list. Don't get into any squabbles with the sellers you buy from. 

Posting ID
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

You seem wise, but I am going to stay off eBay because lately, my neighbors and I have gotten really rotten things that we bought and just threw them away because it was not even worth the time to return them, and we are getting the same from amazon, complete junk that works for a few weeks, then just breaks. The added pressure of trying to find unique good condition collectibles and antiques to sell and compete while we are bombarded with ridiculous low ball offers is demoralizing. The whole online experience is crumbling to all of us, it seems. Records all say mint then when we get them they are gritty and scratched, our time is just not worth the people, and the trouble anymore. I will just take a break from eBay until I can find something that I can sell regular and is in high demand, after 8 years of learning and trying to do that, all I am is frustrated and becoming mentally ill.I live 40 miles from the nike factory headquarters and have access to hundreds of pairs of them and feel I should not even dare to try to sell those that my brother inlaw gets because he works there, he offered me a few crates from 6 years ago, I say forget it, you just cant win because some dood in china will out sell you. Our neighbor sell one arm shirts, and that is what happened to them, china stated out selling after they invested ten grand in equipment, now her fabric shear sits unused, same with my rock saw, you cant win, you cant recoup your investment or break even, all the while eBay want to lend us more money, then you get behind and they slap a lien on your house.  But thanks

EBay can be a stressful environment for a seller but like a lot of sellers I continue to post and sell here but I have vastly diversified in the last 10 years to multiple ecommerce platforms/forums. Some buyers and sellers are enthralled by eBay that they fail to see the forest for the trees. Given the items you sell you may want to explore other options available to you that are tailored to your product line and there are a bunch of them out there. 

Like you there are a LOT of things that I would not ever list on eBay either because eBay prohibits it or the risk is too great, sneakers being one of them. I seldom buy anything online these days simply because I live in a large metropolitan area and can find most things locally, don't have to pay for shipping, I can inspect the item before I buy it and if there are issues returns are simple. 

The counterfeit issue is becoming a major problem for almost everything out there and China leads all countries in the production of counterfeit goods. Estimates are that 80% of the counterfeit items are produced in China and that as much as 20-30% of the goods coming out of China are in fact counterfeit. They are also getting VERY good and doing so and the quality of their counterfeit items continues to improve. I will never, knowingly, buy from or sell to China or this very reason. 

I wish you the best in whatever future direction you choose to go.  

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@richards*rock*collection  I have received negative untrue feedback that eBay has refused to remove.  One I remember the most involved antique marbles... the listing stated, chips and breaks, estate find - see photos before bidding.  The buyer said in feedback "chips and breaks, untrustworthy eBayer". 

A false positive is rarely read I believe.  As long as you don't have a low positive percentage, the average person never even looks at feedback.  I got my first negative about 6 years ago.  People have changed and can be super rude.  If you look at google reviews, people say things that they would never say to the businesses face.  They leave negative reviews that are based on a 1 time experience. 

Looking at what your reply is, I think you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about.  My advice is to forget about it and move on.  Believe me, it is a way bigger deal for you than it is for anyone else. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I'm sorry but this is a complete over-reaction on your part.  I was just left 2 negatives for situations that are NOT my fault.  Stolen mail & returned mail.   People do not concern themselves with feedback now.  Even if they did, they would see you at 100% before checking comments & not bother going to read them.  If I lose business because of these 2 comments, I doubt I would notice considering how slow the entire year has been!  Best of luck to you.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

It sounds as though this one comment isn't the problem.  It seems to be a build up of bad experiences & this just knocked you off of the lip of the ledge.  I am close to the point due to eBay buyers' impatience / the postal system failure & ridiculous expense.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I have no problem reaching an ebay rep. Just click on chat and enter agent and it will prompt you. If it is a true false positive such as complaining about pricing that already knew beforehand then it will be removed. If it is in regards to quality or something they thought differ then it is their opinion. In those case if u felt u are in the wrong and ebay will not remove then leave a followup to that feedback. People do look at that and can tell. In the long run if you sell a lot then that feedback will also be buried too. Do not let it get to you and move on.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply