cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer claims that he did not receive item

He bought the item more than a month ago.  It took almost 2 weeks to get payment. I opened a non-payment case.

Payment was finally made and I shipped the item out. Tracking said that he received the item 3 weeks ago.

A couple days ago he opens up a dispute saying that he did not receive the item. His English is bad so I'm not sure what the issue is from reading his messages.

Some possibilities:

He got worried that the dispute case that I had opened up had not been closed yet. 

He is doing this to get back at me.

He legit did not get the item.

He simply wants the item for free.

We have messaged each other back and forth. Like I said though his English makes it so that I can't really understand what the issue is. Last we left off I asked whether or not he has the item. No response.

What will happen next? I got a feeling that ebay more often than not will rule in favor of buyer.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You are protected.  One of the few protections we have here.  When you have online tracking that shows delivered, you will win an INR case filed.  

Now you have options.  You can wait until Ebay discovers this was actually delivered or times out [30 days] or you can wait and see if the buyer escalates the request to a claim and then Ebay will rule.  Ebay should be ruling in your favor since you have online tracking to prove delivery.

Those are options.  Not good options in my opinion, but your choice completely.  I firmly believe it is better to just take a few minutes and call Ebay.  Have them look at the tracking which proves delivery and they will close the claim in your favor.  This protects your FB too.  Stay on the line until you get the email notification that the claim has been closed.  The CSR can do that while you are on the phone.  If you get one that won't do it while you wait, make an excuse, get off the phone and call back.  They absolutely can take care of the issue while you are on the phone with them.

Good luck.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Enter the tracking # in the dispute, call eBay to get it closed in your favor
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Enter the tracking number into the case. If it shows delivered, you will win.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

If tracking shows delivered, you are in the clear.  eBay does back sellers if they have tracking that shows delivered to the buyer.  If your buyer opens a case, they'll find it in your favor.  Tell the buyer what tracking shows and tell him he can check with the post office to help him locate his package if it wasn't delivered to his address.  Nothing else for you to do. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

What will happen next? I got a feeling that ebay more often than not will rule in favor of buyer.

Sellers lose INR cases simply because they failed to provide tracking that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

You are protected.  One of the few protections we have here.  When you have online tracking that shows delivered, you will win an INR case filed.  

Now you have options.  You can wait until Ebay discovers this was actually delivered or times out [30 days] or you can wait and see if the buyer escalates the request to a claim and then Ebay will rule.  Ebay should be ruling in your favor since you have online tracking to prove delivery.

Those are options.  Not good options in my opinion, but your choice completely.  I firmly believe it is better to just take a few minutes and call Ebay.  Have them look at the tracking which proves delivery and they will close the claim in your favor.  This protects your FB too.  Stay on the line until you get the email notification that the claim has been closed.  The CSR can do that while you are on the phone.  If you get one that won't do it while you wait, make an excuse, get off the phone and call back.  They absolutely can take care of the issue while you are on the phone with them.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thanks so much for the helpful responses.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@indiefeels1 wrote:

He bought the item more than a month ago.  It took almost 2 weeks to get payment. I opened a non-payment case.

Payment was finally made and I shipped the item out. Tracking said that he received the item 3 weeks ago.

A couple days ago he opens up a dispute saying that he did not receive the item. His English is bad so I'm not sure what the issue is from reading his messages.

Some possibilities:

He got worried that the dispute case that I had opened up had not been closed yet. 

We have messaged each other back and forth. Like I said though his English makes it so that I can't really understand what the issue is. Last we left off I asked whether or not he has the item. No response.

unfortunately i went through this before and the tracking number itself is not enough, ebay will want you to have the USPS provide you a statement that the package was delivered , they will give you a URL to upload that, once that has been done they should rule in your favor.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@indiefeels1 wrote:

Some possibilities:

unfortunately i went through this before and the tracking number itself is not enough, ebay will want you to have the USPS provide you a statement that the package was delivered , they will give you a URL to upload that, once that has been done they should rule in your favor.

OH NO!  I've been at this a LONG time and I have NEVER had to get some statement from USPS to prove an INR.

In practice and in Ebay's published policy you need online tracking.  

From the policies:

Other protections are available when you follow best practices. For example, when you provide tracking that shows the item was delivered, you are protected when the buyer opens an item not received request.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@indiefeels1 wrote:

Some possibilities:

OH NO!  I've been at this a LONG time and I have NEVER had to get some statement from USPS to prove an INR.

In practice and in Ebay's published policy you need online tracking.  

From the policies:

Other protections are available when you follow best practices. For example, when you provide tracking that shows the item was delivered, you are protected when the buyer opens an item not received request.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345

that's what they tell you, until it happens and you get on the phone and tell them the tracking shows it as delivered then rules in your favor, then the buyer counter claims they never received it and ebay then tells you "did you get a statement from the carrier?" and you answer "what statement, the tracking number is the statement" and they say, "no, tracking number shows us it was delivered but we need a statement from the carrier to back up the tracking: use this URL to upload the document, once we have that we can rule in your favor and close the case" - it's happened to me, so yes this will be the outcome in the long run. 

The story short, the buyer claimed they never got the package, the tracking confirmed they did, they opened a claim, ruled in my favor 1st using the tracking, buyer then opens a counter claim again saying never got the item, ebay tells me they need a statement from USPS and rules in his favor till I upload the statement, pull the money from my payapl also, call USPS (be on hold for 2 hrs) they will confirm the package as delivered and send you a email with a statement to then save as a PDF (make sure you have them send the email when your on the phone with them to confirm you got it!) and then upload to ebay, case then will then final rule in your favor and close and money returned to your paypal.  Screen shot of the email ebay sent me for the doc upload: 

ebdoc.jpg

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Your screen shots only show how to submit additional information, not why they required you to submit additional information.  There certainly are from time to time more complicated INRs and Ebay could require additional information especially in the absence of online tracking.  But on a normal basis the INR Seller protection is very good.  There are always some exceptions to the rules, especially if there are some anomalies.

I am however glad to hear that your claim work out in your favor.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Maybe this buyer really didn’t receive their package. Perhaps a porch pirate.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Maybe this buyer really didn’t receive their package. Perhaps a porch pirate.

Sellers are not responsible for items being stolen from someone's porch.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Your screen shots only show how to submit additional information, not why they required you to submit additional information.  There certainly are from time to time more complicated INRs and Ebay could require additional information especially in the absence of online tracking.  But on a normal basis the INR Seller protection is very good.  There are always some exceptions to the rules, especially if there are some anomalies.

I am however glad to hear that your claim work out in your favor.

The why is because the buyer called eBay. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

Sellers are not responsible for items being stolen from someone's porch.

I know that, didn’t say they were. I’m guessing that’s why the buyer called.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply