Did you mean: 

a seller is selling there item by using my photo's can I stop them

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: a seller is selling there item by using my photo's can I stop them

I have the same issues, why they do it is not clear because the photos are of inferior quality and take more time to copy and paste then to do it yourself. But you can report it and Ebay will in the end take it down. Multiple times and it can cost them their store. I gave up, because it is a time consuming problem and not a time positive thing, upping my sales. I just hope that there is eBay Karma and that they won't sell a thing. Same issue goes for item description, people started leaving out a word or change a word so it is not copyright protected anymore. Title is not protected, I once had one guy, who copied the title with my mistake in it, a misspelled word. I corrected my word, and he kept the typo and never sold any of his.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@thintiggy wrote:

You can ask them, but (as noted by the policy above), when you upload photos to eBay then you give up your rights to those photos ... they can be used by other members and by eBay.

eBay's policy on this subject changed when the Product Catalog was introduced.  Prior to the Product Catalog, eBay had a policy that prohibited members from using other members' photos ... now, photos are community property.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Students get punishments like detensions, suspensions or expulsions for plagarism.
If you want nice photos, then buy the equipment to snap and software to edit the photos.
If you want nice descriptions, then study and practice HTML.
Something is amiss with the moral compass at eBay to allow this theft.
Here is a solution.
Singers perform their rendition on American Idol or The Voice.
These singers did not compose song or cut the original record.
But their rendition has value and people pay to download it.
Let the lazy sellers download my photos or descriptions for lifetime use for a fee.
eBay can keep some small percentage and forward me the majority of the money.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Can a seller watermark or slip their store name on the photo somewhere so if its copied, then.....never mind. I just realized it could be photoshopped out...but wait! then they would  have a whompy jawed photo and wouldn't  want to  use it  then so...yeah, could a photo  be marked? Is that allowed?

I dont know, its why Im asking  😁

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@thintiggy wrote:

You can ask them, but (as noted by the policy above), when you upload photos to eBay then you give up your rights to those photos ... they can be used by other members and by eBay.

eBay's policy on this subject changed when the Product Catalog was introduced.  Prior to the Product Catalog, eBay had a policy that prohibited members from using other members' photos ... now, photos are community property.

The current wording of the policy quoted does not say other seller's photos (and text) can be copied at will.  It says they can be copied and become public property ONLY if eBay chooses to use them in the eBay catalog.   It is clear that sellers are to create their own images and text except if they copy it from the catalog.  That is the way i read the latest policy which i think has been tweaked recently.  Unfortunately it seems the only remedy is to ask the offender to take it down which is basically a waist of breath.  So they have the policy but wont enforce it?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@thintiggy wrote:

The current wording of the policy quoted does not say other seller's photos (and text) can be copied at will.  It says they can be copied and become public property ONLY if eBay chooses to use them in the eBay catalog.

The policy has been updated and clarified.  It does say both images and text can be copied at will.  Here's the language from the Images and Text policy:

When you create listings you give eBay and it's members permission, through our user agreement, to use your images and product details.

eBay recognizes that it upsets other members when photos are lazily used like this, so it has some language in the policy that tells people to play nice ... but the bottom "legal" line is that taking others' photos is allowed simply because the User Agreement now says that we give up intellectual property rights when uploading content.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

................general reply..................

the name  of the game is selling,ebay says you can use anything you find on ebay to help you with your sales.This  is the way its now interpreted and its pretty much a free for all in regard to using pictures.If you see something on ebay that you like, just help yourselves to ebays product catalog.

I am not sure what a watermark or anything on a picture is going to do,just because there is some sort of mark in a picture does not mean its protected unless it is trademarked.shoppers do not go around comparing signatures in pictures with the store names or anything like that

if someone accuses you of using their pictures and you admit to it,just what have you admitted.to ,Are you now going to say to ebay that you have solid proof,proof of what,ebay does not care at all about using someones work

its about as serious a problem as making up a false reason for returns

there are many things that ebay users want done,ebay does what it feels like and thats that

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@jconnor315 wrote:

No.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370&st=12&pos=1&query=Picture...

Thanks! 👍🏻 

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Pretty much no....I have read the policies and emailed the lousy picture/description thieves myself, I have even called ebay to complain and I have reported the items. It sucks because these lazy sellers are stealing your (my) work and time but also they aren't being honest, the items they have pictured isn't the items they have...but ebay won't do anything or can't. Luckily it doesn't happen often but it's ones of those things that honest sellers have to deal with.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Years ago, before eBay hosted the pictures, I discovered a seller linking to my auction picture.  As soon as my auction ended (with a sale) I changed the image to one that said, "This image is property of eBay seller emerald_door."  I then emailed the other seller and told her that the image had been changed.  I offered to rent the image to her for $10.  She paid, I changed it back, and her item ended without a sale.  

Some sellers back then use to change their pictures to weird or mildly offensive photos, but I didn't want that even on my ended listings, and this was very effective.  Too bad we can't do this today.  Now it's a free for all.   

Message 13 of 13
latest reply