cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your payouts are on hold!

I received an email after an item I had listed sold. the email states as follows:

As of Jan 1, 2022, the IRS now requires us to file and send a Form 1099-K to everyone who sells $600 or more.

Since you’ve made $600 or more in sales this year, we’ll need your full 9-digit Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to send you your 1099-K.

Please update your information so we can start sending your payouts and avoid other account restrictions.

I researched this and see it is indeed a new policy implemented by the IRS. I think it's ridiculous to target small potatoes sellers when huge corporations pay little to no taxes but the taxman is obviously going after every dollar they can. 

$600 in sales is a very low amount but eBay is telling me I have to supply my SS number even though I have not reached that lowly threshold. And to add insult to injury, eBay is holding my payout of the item I recently sold until I relinquish my personal data. 

I guess eBay has decided to lower the gross sales threshold even lower than the lowly $600 for certain sellers, like myself. 

Beyond Frustrated 

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Your payouts are on hold!

So I get it, do the right thing and move on, OK. Y'all have made it clear and I understand it's just the way it is if I want to sell on eBay.  So I reckon I'll just submit my SS # and all will be good again. 

But what do I do if I can't find my original cost on an item? I ask because some of the items I've sold or intend to sell, I either don't remember and/or can't find my original receipt. Like the last item I sold was purchased new, over 5 years ago. I am sure I paid more than what I sold it for but I am unable to locate the receipt. 

A lot of the items I want to sell are sitting in my basement. They're either new and unused or are just things I don't use anymore and were never bought with the intentions of selling them later. So of course I don't have receipts for most of it. Should I just not sell items I can't show what my cost was? If that's the case then maybe I'm not suppose to be a seller.

I would imagine I'm not the only one in this boat of folks who don't keep all their receipts.  And unless I can show I paid less than what it sold for, I'm going to have to pay tax on my losing sale. 

I'm just a little guy, selling the stuff I don't want or no longer need. But it looks like guys like me will eventually be gone from eBay and other online selling platforms. It use to be fun to sell my wears here and make a few extra bucks. But now that it's more complicated with being forced to itemize and  keep records of profits and losses, perhaps it's better to just donate to charity or throw it away where it'll ends up in the dump. 

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to do it the right way and report everything to the IRS. But c'mon, I just sold something for $99 and due to the fact that I didn't hang onto the receipt from years ago, I cant show what I paid for it. And now I have to accept the fact I have to add this to my gross income for the year and pay tax on it?

eBay is going to be mostly power-sellers eventually. That's probably what they want it anyway. 

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

And that's exactly what it is for a lot of the small sellers, just a hobby, not really what I'd call a side hustle.  

I don't "need" the money to make ends meet. Was just a fun way to generate a few extra bucks and get rid off no-longer-wanted items that were cluttering up my home.  

The fun part is gone and if selling on eBay becomes a losing situation for most small sellers, they'll  be gone too.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

Yep, 

So this is how it works now.   You originally buy something and PAY TAXES ON IT.   Then after a couple years you decide you don't need or want it anymore so you try to recoup some money by selling on Ebay so you sell for a fraction of what you bought it for.   Now your item sells and you have to pay taxes on that same item AGAIN!    Then you pay for Shipping costs.  Then you pay Ebay a seller fee and monthly fees.     Now you are asking yourself why you are torturing yourself with with this whole process and you have nothing much to show for any of it.   I'm officially done with Ebay!!

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

You are confusing sales taxes with Federal taxes, apples and oranges.Sellers have always been required to report their earnings,no matter how small, thats really nothing new.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 34 of 38
latest reply

The $600 threshold was part of Biden's America Rescue Plan, nothing with Trump. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-delay-for-implementation-of-600-reporting-threshold-for-t...

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

I just had this pop-up tonight.  I can't tell if my payments are still blocked or not.  I don't see where it says anything is on hold.  Everything that comes in is still processing, but eBay uses up the bulk of my postage money so I need to know.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Yes! Finally... Years of hearing other folks yapping about their tax free hobby money.. while I'm doing it all by the books.. all these years 

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 38 of 38
latest reply