cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your business: Our results.

Is it just me, or does that statement kind of sum up the theme of the last 12 years or so?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Your-business-Our-results-Jordan-Sweetnam-SVP-GM-America... 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Your business: Our results.

Literally the only thing worth reading in the article.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:
it also doesn't note that during this time of growth, there has been an increase in reports of eBay accounts being hijacked/compromised and used for fraudulent activity (both buying and selling).

With the overall business up 25%, one could logically anticipate a proportionate increase in fraud as well as a proportionate increase in successful sales.

If this is information you are observing and gathering and reporting to eBay, what are you comparing it to? Have you also been gathering and reporting this information to eBay over the past serveral years?

Or was your research prompted by this triangulation scheme you referred to? Is it possible the increase you are observing is only because of your heightened awareness of the issue since you were hit so hard by it? 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:
it also doesn't note that during this time of growth, there has been an increase in reports of eBay accounts being hijacked/compromised and used for fraudulent activity (both buying and selling).

With the overall business up 25%, one could logically anticipate a proportionate increase in fraud as well as a proportionate increase in successful sales.

If this is information you are observing and gathering and reporting to eBay, what are you comparing it to? Have you also been gathering and reporting this information to eBay over the past serveral years?

Or was your research prompted by this triangulation scheme you referred to? Is it possible the increase you are observing is only because of your heightened awareness of the issue since you were hit so hard by it? 

@luckythewinner  - My observations started with the fraud situation.  Obviously you can't look for something you don't know to look for, so prior to that situation it wasn't something on our radar.

The triangulation scheme first started targeting us in mid/late February, though we didn't realize it until the wave of chargebacks started to hit in early March.  We didn't make the eBay connection to understand it was triangulation fraud until mid-March when several pieces fell into place that pointed us in that direction.

I don't believe it is just my heightened awareness, the instances of people reporting both here and across social media that their accounts have been compromised does seem to have risen within the last month, including several reports that store subscriptions were added without the account owner's knowledge or consent.

Yes, increased business will bring a proportional increase in fraud as well, but I'm not convinced that is enough to explain what we are seeing. It could also be that the COVID-19 situation, and the decrease in customer service and support availability during that time, provided a good opportunity for fraud efforts to ramp up.

And to be clear, I am not saying that eBay itself has been hacked or compromised, as I understand there is a huge difference between the overall site and individual user accounts when it comes to security concerns.  I don't have enough information to be able to say where or how this is occurring just yet, I'm just trying to get the information out that there appears to be something going on with accounts being compromised and that it may possibly be tied in to a larger fraud scheme.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@hioctane62 

It is quite the oxymoron, no?

It would make more sense for them to say, "Our business: Your results." In other words, eBay will not be successful if we are not making sales. 

Wording it as "Your business: Our results" sounds to me like they're some sort of 1930s gangsters coming into our establishment and skimming 10% off the top, which of course isn't really... um... no, wait...

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I'm not sure how it is, but this billion dollar company certainly has a difficult time with their PR.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

eBay can take that title and a few cherry picked sentences from that post and shove them ye olde bum hole. "Your business: Our results." shows how truly clueless and useless they are. The reality is they don't do much beyond milk us for as much money as possible while doing f all to keep the site running.

Edit: I guess I should give them a little credit.  They aren't pretending to be our partners to placate us.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@hioctane62   Well ... one of the Amazon warehouses in California burned down ... that should help spike eBay sales shouldn't it?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 22
latest reply