cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You guys know best:

I'm not stressing over this, but you all know best what direction I should take.

I got a return so of course I clicked to make the refund after the item is returned.  So far, on that we are on track.

Here's what's going on "behind the scenes":  He took one of the diamonds to GIA, a grading business.  It's common to do this for a good gem, but not for testing to see if a gem is real because it costs $70.00 to do the lowest level of grading.  (Appraisal is about $150.00 which would give a more involved grading and a value price). 

My buyer said in the return that he doubted the stone was a real diamond, so he sent it to GIA.  It hadn't come before he started the return and asked for me to refund the $70.00 along with the original $66.00 (free ship).  Since then he's messaged me to demand the $70.00 to his Pay Pal account.  Then, in the next days, he got the report and sent me a photo of it.  Of course it says the diamond is real.  It's been treated (irradiated/heat) for color. 

Also, he's threateed my feedback if I don't give the $70.00 to his pay pal account.  I told him if ebay tells me to do that, I will.  I know they won't. (He could have just as easily taken the diamonds to a jeweler for a free test.)

This is what I'm wondering:  Do I wait for this to end and then see what the feedback is from him, or contact ebay and send/tell them he's threatening feedback revenge and wants me to send $ outside ebay's site?  I have the messages for proof but the refund is pending so his feedback is not there yet.

My gut says to wait.  Correct?  Or a mistake?

BTW, I've been polite, said I'm happy to make the refund (and I am!) and already BBL'd him.   

Thanks a bunch!~~Barb

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: You guys know best:

If a buyer accepts the return , I don't believe there is feedback on either side that can be given. he can leave negative before agreeing to the return but once he initiates it feedback cant be given or received.
Message 16 of 50
latest reply

On a bad day I would likely first wait until the item's tracking shows it being on its way back to me, then I might inform such a buyer of the following:

Feedback extortion policy

Policy overview

Buyers:

The buyer isn't allowed to threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings in an attempt to force a seller into providing:

• Goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price.

• A return, refund, or replacement item not covered by the original listing or the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

If there is a problem with a transaction, the buyer should report the problem in My eBay.

If a buyer contacts a seller with a problem, the seller should make every effort to resolve the issue. Once the transaction is concluded, a seller may ask the buyer to leave positive Feedback or high detailed seller ratings, or request a revision of previous negative or neutral Feedback.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

@musicforyoureyes

You already received back *your* diamond and know that for sure.

Issue the refund that you are required to do.

Then report the buyer for FB extortion.

If he leaves a neg you can have it removed by calling ebay (a few times:()

Block. the ID.

Here is the FB extortion policy to have in hand when calling ebay.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

"The buyer isn't allowed to threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings in an attempt to force a seller into providing:
Goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price.
A return, refund, or replacement item."

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

Starroute I haven't gotten the return yet, but am bracing myself for the worst.
Thanks for the advice! It's perfect and appreciated.~Barb
Message 19 of 50
latest reply

Sidemouse: Thanks for the link! It really helps. Thank you so much.
Message 20 of 50
latest reply

UPDATE!

Guess what!  He left a nasty negative and I called ebay reps and after a few minutes the negative was REMOVED!!  I'm doing my Happy Dance!

It only took about 5 mins. total and his messages with my replies made the decision easy, apparently.

My deep thanks to all who was willing to help.  It worked!

See?  You guys know best!  Big  HUGS!

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Did you get your diamond back yet? Inspect closely. There are diamond thieves that will switch them out for lesser diamonds. 

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Did you get your diamond back yet? Inspect closely. There are diamond thieves that will switch them out for lesser diamonds. 

I was wondering the same thing, I would have tried to close the case, if there was one, at the same time. I know of 2 instances (non-ebay) where jewelers replaced diamonds. 

That's why I wouldn't sell a rolex. It is not uncommon to replace the guts.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Oh, I forgot!

Yes, he did return the diamonds and they checked out as the same as I sent.

It kind of surprised me, but I guess he'd send them so he would get the $70.00.  I am so relieved!  I've been waiting for him to message me with anger over the removal, but apparently he thinks he gave me the one-two punch and is happy with that.  If that changes, I'll give an update.  

Again thanks so much for caring!

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

@musicforyoureyes

You might want to head over to the product discussion board.

You buyer showed up with his own thread.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Product-Discussions/Treated-diamond-was-not-declared/m-p/27342188#M7084...

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Was the diamond treated or not...I buy here also and would like to know.
Message 26 of 50
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:

I have the same question...All of the OP's listings stress "not enhanced or treated" ... but that GIA report in the first post says "Treated for color".

So ... which is it?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Wow. This thread has taken a turn. $35 free shipping on a pink diamond was perhaps too good to be true in the first place. Showing a picture of the GIA website homepage which means nothing, and the comments in the listings about "I thought about getting them tested" doesn't sit well with me. 

I don't see a sold or completed pink diamond at the higher price, but ebay has been hiding completed listings lately, sold listings, not showing up on sellers histories. 

The carat size appears to be accurate, so this would match up, but there's no way to prove that the GIA assessment belongs to the diamond, however I tend to believe it does. 

If the facts are true in the buyer's thread then the negative feedback was earned and should have stuck. 

Buyer beware on diamonds, whether the OP buying for resale or the end user. Buy from a reputable source, not just anybody with a price too good to be true. 

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Wow. This thread has taken a turn. $35 free shipping on a pink diamond was perhaps too good to be true in the first place. Showing a picture of the GIA website homepage which means nothing, and the comments in the listings about "I thought about getting them tested" doesn't sit well with me. 

I don't see a sold or completed pink diamond at the higher price, but ebay has been hiding completed listings lately, sold listings, not showing up on sellers histories. 

The carat size appears to be accurate, so this would match up, but there's no way to prove that the GIA assessment belongs to the diamond, however I tend to believe it does. 

If the facts are true in the buyer's thread then the negative feedback was earned and should have stuck. 

Buyer beware on diamonds, whether the OP buying for resale or the end user. Buy from a reputable source, not just anybody with a price too good to be true. 

I responded to the other post. "Natural" is a term that can be used for a colored diamond that has been removed from the ground. It is whether a diamond has been enhanced by various methods that is another quality of the diamond. If the buyer had a good understanding of naturally occuring pink diamonds and their value, he would have been trying to get a really really good deal.

On the site naturaly colored diamonds, they have a .11 carat pink diamond that is listed for $10,950. That is the "real" price for a pink diamond all natural. 90% of the colored diamonds you see here have been treated in some form or fashion, but are still considered natural.

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@moondogblues wrote:

I have the same question...All of the OP's listings stress "not enhanced or treated" ... but that GIA report in the first post says "Treated for color".

So ... which is it?

Please see my most recent post.

Message 30 of 50
latest reply