cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yay! My first return under the 30 day free return option! :D

Actually kinda fun.  And funny a bit.  lol

So.

I have been selling a lot of mechanical hard drives, these are erased, then tested for any problems.  They include an erase receipt, a listing of days used, come with an anti-static bag, the works.  I have over a couple hundred of them to sell, so priced pretty reasonable, free shipping, quantity discounts, yada yada.

Sold quite a few now, had one arrive to a buyer today, that was then setup for a return shortly after arrival.  The reason was due to being defective.  Driver install. Never shows up in explorer. Clearly not "ready to go" - was their note.

Well, it won't.  You still have to create a partition and format it first.  I don't ship drives with anything on them, I ship them how the manufacturer would.  Blank.  I have no idea what OS or device they will get used in.

I had no message from them, nothing.  Just a straight up return request with a note in the description. I wrote a nice question, asking if they had checked to see if they could create a partition and that I ship the drives ready to go but are blank and need configured for their system first.  And that if its not showing in device manager or not working, they are more than welcome to send it back.   I even sent a follow up message, as I hadn't thought about the fact they had already opened the return to add that if my first message doesn't help, to simply pack the drive back up, use the provided label and ship it back before the deadline and I will process a refund.

Have not had one message from the buyer since this entire transaction started.  And they are a seller!  You would think even a little communication would be in order?   lol

Anyway.

Not sure what will come of it, but I suspect the drive is fine, they just didn't know it needed to be setup for their system.   I can't  pre-configure every drive, because I know someone will complain it has the wrong format if I do that, so better off blank.  😛

All the same, I don't find it to be a bad thing, and honestly its good. I get to see how this system works in action, rather than theory.  My last return I ever had was nearly 2 years ago and that was on an auction that didn't have returns, but it went very smoothly.

Anyway, just wanted to share!

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Yay! My first return under the 30 day free return option! :D

If you have accepted the Request for Return and issue the return label to your buyer, there is nothing more for you to do right now.  Just wait.  If you don't get it back in about 3 weeks, contact Ebay and get the claim closed in your favor.

Stay silent.  Don't communicate with your buyer unless they contact you first.  And if you have the need to communicate with them, ONLY do it from the actual claim they filed so all the info is properly recorded on the claim.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@gator08041971  I glanced through one listing - do you specify that the drive will need to be partitioned, formatted, etc? I may have missed it, it's late.

I sell peripherals (used to sell a lot of them but still do from time to time) and found that everything has to be explained. Even then, I periodically have people who don't know what they've got or what to do with it. I even include a short-form installation manual in the listing for installing that particular peripheral.

You've got a great business going there, though!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

And if you have the need to communicate with them, ONLY do it from the actual claim they filed so all the info is properly recorded on the claim.

Huh.   Okay.  I had sent them a message when I got the return request, but did that from the order page, the drop down, then "contact buyer".  Not from the claim?  Maybe I'm missing something.

@chapeau-noir 

do you specify that the drive will need to be partitioned, formatted, etc?

Yeah, the listings don't have a statement to that effect, but apparently I need to add one.  😛

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Well.

That is now apparently done.  Buyer canceled the return, and left a positive feedback.   Huh.

OH well.  Took the wind right out of my sails here.  lol

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

Well.

That is now apparently done.  Buyer canceled the return, and left a positive feedback.   Huh.

OH well.  Took the wind right out of my sails here.  lol

That is the very best outcome.  Congratulations.  

Don't forget to correct the descriptions on any of your listings that need it.  Hopefully avoid this situation in the future.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Don't forget to correct the descriptions on any of your listings that need it.  Hopefully avoid this situation in the future.

Already changed this on all the listings for drives.  😄

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@gator08041971   Oh well 😐  Better luck next time LOL 😂

Message 8 of 8
latest reply