cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YIKES, mind that decimal point if you do promotions

I thought I had this promoted at 9.1% .....well, no.  I will actually have to pay a bit out of pocket just to ship this thing.  Oy.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 7.45.43 PM.png

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I'm sorry 😞

How Long did it take to sell at that ad rate ?

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Well fiddlesticks....  Glad it was not a $179.50 item.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

I'm not sure of the exact date (is there a way to see when a sold item was listed?).  But I'm pretty certain it was less than 2 weeks ago.  

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@gurlcat  -- OUCH! I'm so sorry!

Fuddle duddle. (Canadian members of a certain age will understand.)

At least it wasn't active for very long, about 17 days ... does this mean that promoted listings really do help increase sales? ... does that make it any better?   (I don't think so ... sorry, again ... )

Start Time: Tuesday, 20-Feb-24 18:39:39 UTC
End Time: Thursday, 07-Mar-24 21:30:42 UTC 

Why can't eBay put some reasonable limits on this? Is that too much to ask?  Oy vey.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

I thought I had this promoted at 9.1% .....well, no.  I will actually have to pay a bit out of pocket just to ship this thing.  Oy.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 7.45.43 PM.png

Unreal - Who cares about the decimal point? - Do you not realize you are WILLINGLY giving up 23% of the ENTIRE TRANSACTION promoting at 9.1%??

So if you didn't malfunction, you STILL woulda had to cough up over $6 in fees on an $18 item??? Thats pushing 35% of the items price in fees before you account for all other true costs such as: item cost, gas, office expense, shipping material, asset wear and tear, returns, loss, accounting, storage, taxes, internet, phone, etc, etc, etc...

Let alone the time spent listing in: sourcing, picture taking, researching, creating a listing, storing, retrieving, driving, packing, shipping, site problems, answering questions, log-in's, promotions, delisting, relisting, dealing with returns, accounting, taxes, printer problems, etc, etc, etc,...How much money would you make on this sale in the bare minimum 20 min you invested??

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

WHERE/HOW did you find that start/stop info?  

Apparently no limits, but just the other day I did get a very helpful prompt  when I was sending out offers, and I entered what I thought was an "amount" offer, without realizing the setting was on "percent off" because that's what I used last time.  So I almost offered my watchers "74.95% off" (and I have DONE that in the past) but it looks like they've done something GOOD and programmed in a little popup window, saying basically "You sure about that?"  

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Apparently no limits, but just the other day I did get a very helpful prompt  when I was sending out offers, and I entered what I thought was an "amount" offer, without realizing the setting was on "percent off" because that's what I used last time.  So I almost offered my watchers "74.95% off" (and I have DONE that in the past) but it looks like they've done something GOOD and programmed in a little popup window, saying basically "You sure about that?"  

Watchcount:  http://www.watchcount.com/mw2.php?  a very useful eBay affiliate site. Has several very useful search options.

Honestly, reasonable limits on promoted percentage should be a no-brainer. I'm so sorry you got trapped by this.

I have been actively and deliberately interfering with eBay's collection of promoted listing fees since they started, as a matter of principle. By not searching for anything, ever, with my buying ID. I search with a different ID, and if I find a listing I am interested in purchasing, I open it with my buying ID, after carefully removing all hash and other tags from the URL or using the item # only and no other hash. I do what I can, even though eBay has some schemes that can't be defeated.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@gurlcat  -- OUCH! I'm so sorry!

Fuddle duddle. (Canadian members of a certain age will understand.)

At least it wasn't active for very long, about 17 days ... does this mean that promoted listings really do help increase sales? ... does that make it any better?   (I don't think so ... sorry, again ... )

Why can't eBay put some reasonable limits on this? Is that too much to ask?  Oy vey.

YES!!! - I mean really ... Who in their right mind would have promoted at 91%?? - Its an obvious mistake, but can the site not take the high road and notify the lister? - Nope - My experience with the site tells me they revel in mistakes of this nature as well as all other types of misconceptions when it comes to fees...

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

That pin was one piece out of thousands I've bought in the past year in mixed jewelry lots, so it's per-piece investment was literally pennies.  Everything needed to know about it was right on it, no need to research.  A few photographs: easy.  Listed it in a "sell similar" series of items so each listing takes only a few minutes.  Packing a thing like this, I could do in my sleep.  

Meanwhile I nearly broke my back setting up a yard sale recently, and it totally bombed.  Even if I had gotten more foot traffic, you think I could have sold this for $12 that way?  

Even with fees and "high" promotion, eBay selling beats anything else you could ever suggest.  And if you think I'm trying to make a living selling things that net $12, no.  You have to consider the big picture, not just selling "an" item, but getting people to look at ALL your items. A wide range is key. Highly-desirable 'showcase' items draw people, and so do highly-visible cheap items.  

And by the way, even promotion costs even themselves out, if you know what you're doing.  I also sold this today.  Less than an hour after listing.  Zero promotion.  Ask me some more about what I "realize." 

4A325CDF-20AF-402D-AF35-93A3B633B2FD.png

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

Watchcount:  http://www.watchcount.com/mw2.php?  a very useful eBay affiliate site. Has several very useful search options.

Honestly, reasonable limits on promoted percentage should be a no-brainer. I'm so sorry you got trapped by this.

I have been actively and deliberately interfering with eBay's collection of promoted listing fees since they started, as a matter of principle. By not searching for anything, ever, with my buying ID. I search with a different ID, and if I find a listing I am interested in purchasing, I open it with my buying ID, after carefully removing all hash and other tags from the URL or using the item # only and no other hash. I do what I can, even though eBay has some schemes that can't be defeated.

I LOVE some ninja stuff like that!  It's really true not all heroes wear capes!  And thanks for the link, sounds fascinating, I will check it out!

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@gurlcat, congratulations on that one!

Mazel tov!

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Can you tell if the sky high promo rate sold it faster than you've sold similar items without the promo? 

I've experimented with higher and lower promo rates and don't really feel like the higher rates are worth it.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@rockystradingpost wrote:

Can you tell if the sky high promo rate sold it faster than you've sold similar items without the promo? 

I've experimented with higher and lower promo rates and don't really feel like the higher rates are worth it.

No you should definitely Promote at the Highest Rate if the only thing you are worried about is selling something rather than making money on what you sell... You go...

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Lol you are so salty about promoted listings.

My last two sales sold at 16% ad rate, and I made plenty of money off it. 🙂

Message 15 of 34
latest reply