cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow - Seller Fees are way to high - ripoff

I haven't sold anything on ebay in maybe about 10 years. I was shocked to be charge 10% of the items price. Wow! That is a complete ripoff. I will be closing my account and never using pathetic ebay again. There are so many newer and less expensive ways to sell now. I don't see why anyone would sell anything on ebay. What a horrible ripoff 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Wow - Seller Fees are way to high - ripoff

lol. The 200 free listings per month campaign is a joke. That just tricks new sellers into thinking that the entire transaction is free, then you get surprised with the reality of the way overpriced "final value fee", where they really rip you off.  

Oh, and now the latest Ebay shenanigans... They have a nerve to try to bypass PayPal now. Like I'd really trust them to do the financial transactions with my actual bank account. Hell no! Ebay, you cannot have my bank account number.  I won't ever sell another item on this ridiculous and antiquated site. I don't suspect EBay will be profitable and in business much longer. There are way too many better alternatives.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@domath2k wrote:

lol. The 200 free listings per month campaign is a joke. That just tricks new sellers into thinking that the entire transaction is free, then you get surprised with the reality of the way overpriced "final value fee", where they really rip you off.  

Oh, and now the latest Ebay shenanigans... They have a nerve to try to bypass PayPal now. Like I'd really trust them to do the financial transactions with my actual bank account. Hell no! Ebay, you cannot have my bank account number.  I won't ever sell another item on this ridiculous and antiquated site. I don't suspect EBay will be profitable and in business much longer. There are way too many better alternatives.

You should end your listing.  Payment methods show that you are now in MP.

If you have not provided the required info it may prove difficult to get paid should the item sell.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

"Oh, and now the latest Ebay shenanigans... They have a nerve to try to bypass PayPal now. Like I'd really trust them to do the financial transactions with my actual bank account. Hell no! Ebay, you cannot have my bank account number.  I won't ever sell another item on this ridiculous and antiquated site. I don't suspect EBay will be profitable and in business much longer. There are way too many better alternatives."

Ayden gets your acct # and your ss#. There is no 'surprise' with the final value fee if you do your due diligence and check the fee table before you list. Dont tell me the sky is falling on Ebay again?..thats what Ive been hearing for the twenty one years Ive been here..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I really doubt if you leave that this is going to rock ebays world. Did you not read any ebay provided information they VERY  clearly state their fees. Do really think their is another platforn that provides the same opportunities for the majority of ebay sellers to sell. I certain do not and if you do go try a few of them you will either be back or at the loscal flea market

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Ebay fees are a rip off.  It was cheaper when payment was through PayPal.  I hope they get hit with another class action law suit like they did a few years ago and had to pay money back.  I sold item for $1500 and they took $191.  Said we can list for free but at the end get a $.30 insertion fee.  I'm never selling on ebay again.  There are other free services like Facebook market place.  Since Covid,  business like this has been ripping people off.  If i had the power and money,  I would begin the class action suit against them.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@domath2k 

Started  selling in January 2010 & as I recall the eBay PayPal fee substructures was something like

1.  Final Value Fee 10% on the item selling price - in 2011 the rate was applied to the separate S/H charged.

2.  PayPal fee - 2.9% + 30 cent on the total transaction amount..

3. For  every picture after 1 a 10 cent charge was  applied up to a total of 12  pics

4. A  35 cent listing  fee was charged per listing and this  fee increased based on the item price.  Seem to recall the first  increase  was at $20.  There  were an occasional free listing promo.

5. When the FVF was applied to the S/H charge - eBay did  provide a monthly allotment of free listing starting at a basic allotment of 50/month and the  fee for additional listings was changed to a fixed  rate of 35 cents,  the charge for additional pics was dropped..

6.  From my vantage point - today's eBay fee structure isn't really that  much different except the allotment of free listings  have been increased.

7.  Yeah I believe eBay "screwed" sellers when they made it  hard for sellers to achieve Top Rated seller status and reduced the benefits of TR status.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@ashepardjr2007 wrote:

Ebay fees are a rip off.  It was cheaper when payment was through PayPal.  I hope they get hit with another class action law suit like they did a few years ago and had to pay money back.  I sold item for $1500 and they took $191.  Said we can list for free but at the end get a $.30 insertion fee.  I'm never selling on ebay again.  There are other free services like Facebook market place.  Since Covid,  business like this has been ripping people off.  If i had the power and money,  I would begin the class action suit against them.

I find my fees to be about the same as with PP.

The sales tax rate is generally the determining factor that results in the higher, or lower fee, but mine pretty much even out.

Below about 6% overall fees lower.

Above 6%  overall fees higher.

Yup, I know most are over 8%, but toss in some sales to "0" sales tax locales, and that helps.

My "business model" allows me to bump the lower price items a few pennies, and the higher price ones, if the market will bear,  a few $$. All works out in the end.

$1500 sale  pre MP would have been $150.00 for eBay (10%)

+ $43.80 for PP (2.9% +$0.30)

$193.80

Message 22 of 22
latest reply