cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wine Decanter

At one time we could sell full and sealed liquor bottles/decanters if the decanter was a collectible. Can we still?52093A30-110C-4281-BC0C-E563D99CBD09.jpeg12927189-C82C-4244-A14D-0E9849EEF6F1.jpeg

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Wine Decanter

At what time was that? 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

Mid to late 90s I think.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

No.........

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/alcohol-policy?id=4274&st=3&pos=1&que...

Collectible alcohol containers may be sold, but they must be empty

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

Thanks.  Somehow I thought that transporting alcohol by mail etc was a Federal offense.  So evidently not?  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

You have an impressive decanter collection.  Unfortunately, selling liquor on EBAY is a big no-no.   EBAY does NOT care if liquor is sealed in decanter.    Only empty decanters can be sold.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

I buy all our wine online, but the large companies have licenses and it is not a federal offense. However selling liquor will get you in big trouble. They are cute

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

I won’t be selling these on eBay. Thanks everyone.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

Do a private sale in the local newspaper or take to an auction house.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

NO.  If you were ever allowed to sell alcoholic beverages on eBay, you certainly cannot do so now. 

If you could, remember that hipping it is expensive and surrounded by a hundred rules.  For just one example:  Each state has rules about what alcohol may be shipped into that state, in what quantity, by whom, to what destinations -- in order to keep it out of the hands of minors, among other reasons.

Alcohol can be shipped UPS or FedEx.  It is expensive and they may, or may not, even be able to take the shipment, depending upon all the rules surrounding the distribution of alcohol.

-

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

As an addition to my first post, you might like to read why you could not sell the containers to me, here in Pennsylvania, as one typical example of what you will run into:

"It is unlawful for any person to import alcohol into Pennsylvania except as permitted within the Liquor Code and the PLCB’s Regulations. 47 P.S. § 4-491(8), (11). The law provides that:

"It shall be unlawful [f]or any person, other than the board or the holder of a sacramental wine license, an importer's license or a direct wine shipper's license, to import any liquor whatsoever into this Commonwealth.  47 P.S. § 4-491 (11).

Therefore, unless the recipient of the liquor falls within one of the four exceptions provided in section 491(11) – the PLCB, a sacramental wine licensee, an importer, or a direct wine shipper – such importation of liquor is illegal..."

and it goes on at some length, with all the requirements to get a license to ship wine, etc:

https://www.lcb.pa.gov/Legal/Documents/000820.pdf

-

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

I did have another idea.  Are there any wineries in your state?  If they do wine tasting, they may also have a visitors area these would display nicely in.  You don't see them every day. 

If the local wineries run websites, maybe send a nice picture of all of them via email, or even take a drive...

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

@soh.maryl wrote:

Thanks.  Somehow I thought that transporting alcohol by mail etc was a Federal offense.  So evidently not?  

There are a couple of exceptions but in  most cases "intoxicating liquors" over .5% alcohol are prohibited by USPS.

Pretty sure that private carriers (UPS/FedEx etc) have similar rules at least for interstate shipping.

slippinjimmy_0-1683500851181.png

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

@imtoys4u 

Absolutely not.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Wine Decanter

USPS will not mail a box that saids the words wine, liquor or beer on the outside as advertised by the company...I see so many people trying to mail clothing and such in these boxes.

In some states from the prohibition era that to this day there are laws from mailing liquor from one state to another state which the law hasn't been lifted yet.

Case in point: I live in California and I would never see a wine bottle made in Texas sold to California even though Texas is like the 5th biggest producer of wine in the USA...I used to be a sommelier.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply