cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will watchers get notified if adding a description to an Auction?

If I add a description or a photo to an Auction that already has bids, will the Watchers get notified from eBay that something has been added?  Will all the bidders be notified?  Thank You!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

To my knowledge they do not; you'd have to send a message to all current active bidders.

If I am wrong someone will correct me.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I don't think that you're able to edit the description or add/remove images from an active listing with watches on it the best option you have is trying to reach of to the active bidders and tell them that you will be ending the listing but they should keep an eye out for a new listing. Alternatively you can let the current bidders win the listing and message them about any errors that were in the listing and offering them a partial refund or cancelling the order.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@warke5424 wrote:

I don't think that you're able to edit the description or add/remove images from an active listing with watches ....

That is incorrect.  Watchers have no effect on a seller's ability to revise an auction.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@ednkarens wrote:

If I add a description or a photo to an Auction that already has bids, will the Watchers get notified from eBay that something has been added?  Will all the bidders be notified?  ...

No, there is no notification sent to bidders or watchers when an auction is revised. It might be a good idea to sends a heads-up message to your bidders, especially if the new information might affect the value of the item.

You can see the notification options in your site preferences:

https://commspreferences.ebay.com/commsprefs

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

But apparently the OP is referring to actual bidders as opposed to watchers. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Generally because of this many place a small holding bid. Mainly to prevent any unnoticeable changes being made.

Nothing worse than making a last minute bid only to find the item is no longer the same item you thought you were bidding on.

When your item had bids you used to be able to add to the description. Which appeared separately at the bottom of the description. If I remember right in those cases bidders were informed. But that's all irrelevant as you can no longer do that.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote: ... When your item had bids you used to be able to add to the description. Which appeared separately at the bottom of the description. If I remember right in those cases bidders were informed. But that's all irrelevant as you can no longer do that.

If that's true, then the Help page about revisions needs to be updated:

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 3.03.46 PM.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/revising-listing/creating-managing-listings/listings/selling?id=4356 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes, ha. Locking in the mistakes while the seller is wondering why no one can find their listing. One of the few joys left on eBay is waiting to see if they notice before it ends.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@bennotbill wrote: ... When your item had bids you used to be able to add to the description. Which appeared separately at the bottom of the description. If I remember right in those cases bidders were informed. But that's all irrelevant as you can no longer do that.

If that's true, then the Help page about revisions needs to be updated:

https://www.ebay.com/help/revising-listing/creating-managing-listings/listings/selling?id=4356 

It's not true. You can see the seller's revision (addition to item description) on their listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/315229567151

It's my understanding active bidders are not notified when changes are made to the listing.

Other sellers have complained in the past few months about the very tiny font used to add to the description as seen in the example above. I believe kyle@ebay is the one that passed on feedback about that tiny font, but eBay has not changed anything. I guess not enough people are complaining. 🤷

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Also added a big blurb at the beginning of my description, including the date/time, whenever I've added extra photos or changed the description.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 3.03.46 PM.png

I was going by last year when I tried to add a photo to a listing, with bids and days remaining, and it was a no go, so I logically assumed that adding text was out as well.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thanks Everyone!  Usually when I have an auction with bids the only time I have to make any revisions is when someone asks a question: "Can you please take a close up photo of ______? "  We always try to take as many photos as possible when we first list and sometimes later there is someone who wants some photo of a different angle, etc..  We haven't had any issues with adding additional photos to an auction with bids.

This is why we stopped pre-packaging items a long time ago.  It is very annoying having to unpack and unwrap an item to answer a question, take a specific photo, take an additional measurement, etc., however, we always oblige.  The worst part is that the majority of times you go the "extra" for a prospective bidder/buyer and then they never come though on their end.

In regards to the font at the bottom of the listing, wastingtime101, thank you for bringing this up!  The additional info I added to a listing today is hard to notice.  If eBay doesn't want to change the font they should at least let us change the color to something more bold to help it stand out!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply