cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was buyer allowed to return item after almost 60 days?

hello,

i had a customer return an item after almost 60 days after purchase. i have all my listings set for 30 day return? i have automatic returns set in ym settings (which i have now turned off) but i thought a 30 day return policy meant just that 30 DAYS! not almost 60 days!  (which i didnt realize it has been 60 days until after  the refund had been sent,. i would have accepted a return if i knew it has been almost 60 days especially since the item appeared to have been used for the past two months by the buyer  and has cat hair all over it!  lesson learned. but what can i do to prevent this type of returns from happening again as i dont want buyers waiting 60 days to retuern items (30 days is more than reasonable to me0 any advice/suggestions to help prevent this from happening? also, on day 31 am I obligated to accept a returbn from abuyer? thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why was buyer allowed to return item after almost 60 days?

The buyer has 30 days from the date of delivery to request a return. You should have been able to deny the return when it was opened, if it was in fact more than 30 days after delivery.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Buyer are allowed to ask for a return outside of the sellers return window.......

AND

SELLERS are allowed to deline these requests, sounds like you authorized the return instead.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

thank you for your responses, I appreciate it. I might have accepted it not knowing, but im 99.9% sure I had "auto accept" set in my settings (i know because after this incident i went in and turned off "auto accept for returns.

i thought as sellers we "have to" or "had " to accept returns because if we didnt we would get a defect against us for "'cases opened and not resolved by seller" i dont want to risk getting the defect against my account because ebay wil lshut you down if you get too many defects, so thats why i always auto accepted. i thought ebay shouldnt allow buyers to even attempt to start a return 30 days AFTER the delivery date. thats why i was shocked the buyer waited so long to return (usually a sign they are a scammer)

but if im reading this correctly, i have the RIGHT to deny a return if it is 30 days after the delivery date? (this sale happened in the beginning of December 2017)  i just need to know now if ill get a defect against my accouhnt if i deny a return 30 days AFTER the delivery date. thanks agan..

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You won’t get a defect if you deny a return outside the 30 day window 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you deny a return that was filed after the 30 day window, can the buyer still leave you a negative feedback? Since feedbacks are allowed up to 60 days.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I would report the buyer on this one if the item received was in a different shape then sent and I would also place the buyer on the block buyer list.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply