cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIB item that's not factory sealed?

I'm wondering about how to label an item. For reference, it is a nintendo 3ds. These do not come factory sealed. The item was opened to verify the correct item was in the box, but never used. The console has never been turned nor are any of codes/plates/etc that came in the box missing.

I received the item shipped to me, opened the tab, slid the item out to make sure it was the proper color and returned it to it's box where it sat. Would it be appropriate to call this item NIB? As I mentioned, there are no factory seals on this item.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If it never came as factory sealed, then yes imo new in box would be appropriate.

But if it were me I would state that prominently in your description.  And also state you just opened the lid to make sure everything was in there.

This puts the buyer on notice and no confusion later.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There should be a "new Other" choice - where then you can describe the box and you checking to make sure it was complete (or better yet - taking pictures of the contents in the wrapper in the box and mention taken out for photos.)

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@thejovawrote:

Would it be appropriate to call this item NIB? As I mentioned, there are no factory seals on this item.

What is "appropriate" on eBay is up to the buyer, not the seller. 

I always answer any question about an item description by asking myself, "If I sold 100 of these, how many buyers might have an issue with that part of my description?"  If I think the answer is more than "one", I leave it out. 

In the specific case you brought up, I would call it "new - other" (if that is an option) and state right in my description that I had removed it from the box in order to verify that it was correct. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply