cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay allowing sellers to continue price gouging.

I was looking at listings for Lysol which were definitely price gouging.  $70 for a container of wipes  that selle for $7.79 retail. I reported them and they get taken down. But then another listing from the same seller pops ups over and over.

I thought that if your listing was taken down that you couldn’t relist. One seller even stated in his description that eBay was canceling his listings and to message him as he had plenty more to sell.

It's time for eBay to ban these sellers.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Why is eBay allowing sellers to continue price gouging.

Hi, when this is all said and done, I suspect these price-gouging sellers will have a lot more trouble than just getting sanctioned by eBay. They are breaking the law.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I'm a buyer now...and I have started looking at sellers listings before buying from them. One I stumbled on today had sold 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol (16 oz) for 99.00!!!!! Two Lysol bottles of scrubbing bubbles for 49.99 each. This has got to stop.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@socalboomer50 wrote:

I thought that if your listing was taken down that you couldn’t relist.

As a VERO member, I can assure you that this is not the case. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

There is no way to know if those items actually brought the seller any payment. Just because an item shows as "sold" does not mean the buyer paid. There are many many thrill seekers out there gaming the system by bidding up and/or supposedly purchasing these items with no intention of paying and there are often transactions  cancelled either by the seller for non-payment or by eBay for price-gouging.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

fashunu4eeuh is 100% right. Theres going to be a large amount of people with legal issues within the near future. Literally just saw it on the news as I clicked on this thread.

Its almost comical the sellers on here complaining that Ebay took thier listings down. Way I see it ebay just did you a solid. Big or small sellers, doesnt matter. I see the states making examples of these people.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Were you looking bc you wanted to buy some or bc you wanted to check if they were still listed? If you want to buy it there are vetted sellers allowed to sell regardless if you report them they won’t be pulled. They did that bc people were reporting all of them regardless of price. But you can find some at decent prices. Search low to high, but if you were looking just to see if they were there and it makes you mad you could just stop looking! You have the right to not search for items and do something else with your day! It’s not worth it if it makes you mad bc tomorrow they will be there, the next day and so on! This is day 50 just about of the same posts being listed! I think I know every states price gouging policy by heart now seeing how many people have copy and pasted them!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I purchased a webcam last night for $150, 6 weeks ago they exact model was selling for $30-50.

How can you police everything?  I was just glad to find one. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I was watching the news last night and there was a segment on Amazon and price gouging. Amazon is working on handing over evidence of price gouging done by Amazon sellers to the authorities for evaluation of potential prosecution.  So, not only is Amazon taking down the listings, possibly shutting down the sellers they are turning over the evidence to the law. 

It would not shock me if eBay is doing or will do something similar - companies want to stay out of the price gouging hot water and if sellers will not listen they may find themselves in hot water. 

Sellers better follow the rules and not list anything essential priced over 10% of what it would have sold for retail one day prior to the declaration of pandemic emergency. Those that goofed up and got warned and knocked it off - learned a valuable lesson.  For those who wish to continue to try to take advantage of the situation - you were warned and you are on your own. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@epowerbargains wrote:

I was watching the news last night and there was a segment on Amazon and price gouging. Amazon is working on handing over evidence of price gouging done by Amazon sellers to the authorities for evaluation of potential prosecution.  So, not only is Amazon taking down the listings, possibly shutting down the sellers they are turning over the evidence to the law. 

It would not shock me if eBay is doing or will do something similar - companies want to stay out of the price gouging hot water and if sellers will not listen they may find themselves in hot water. 

Sellers better follow the rules and not list anything essential priced over 10% of what it would have sold for retail one day prior to the declaration of pandemic emergency. Those that goofed up and got warned and knocked it off - learned a valuable lesson.  For those who wish to continue to try to take advantage of the situation - you were warned and you are on your own. 

Not in a million years will eBay do that because the first thing the authorities would ask eBay is why didn't you take the listings down to begin with? eBay does not remove so many of the price gouging listings that people have been reporting. As we speak there are countless illegal listings and auctions running on eBay that have been reported over and over, but they will run to their fruition with not even a slap on the sellers wrist. For that, eBay is just as guilty as the perpetrators. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Last night on the local news, there was a story about an Ohio seller price gouging on face masks.  They showed a screen shot on the news, complete with seller name!  They are in deep trouble with the law.  Karma will catch up with these sellers!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

and if you paid $150, for a web cam that 6 weeks ago the "exact model was selling for $30-50." well that was YOUR  choice!

me thinks a deeper more thorough search would have been worth the wait...

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

just wanted to let you know ebay & paypal fees for sellers are near 20 percent then you have shipping cost that they also take charge fees for please keep that in mind. not saying charging $100 for a can of lysol is okay but doubling the price doesn't mean the seller is profiting much.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@esg-enterprises wrote:

I purchased a webcam last night for $150, 6 weeks ago they exact model was selling for $30-50.

How can you police everything?  I was just glad to find one. 

I don't believe a webcam is an essential item under price gouging laws.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply