cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why eBay money back guarantee timeline is not working for my case???

I have an unhappy buyer opened a return request on Jan 16th. We can not have an agreement to resolve it. She thinks the item arrives damaged, I don't think so and let her know it is natual and normal and easy to fixed. Anyways, after back and forth a few messages, she has been quiet for 31 days without further action. I thought the case should be automatically closed and my fund should be released in PayPal. But nothing happened today( Feb. 16th, the 31st day). Then I called eBay, the lady checked it and told me the case will be closed on Feb 28th which is 42 days after request started. I asked why, she didn't answer and suggest me better wait. I understand to keep waiting but not understand why eBay doesn't follow the policy for my case. And no explanation is bothering me even more. Anyone knows the answer?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why eBay money back guarantee timeline is not working for my case???

@chicswatch wrote:
She could ask eBay to step in which I don't care.

But after 30 days passed, nothing happened further, should eBay follow their policy close the case?

If you can't answer the key question, please be gone here.

From Tuesday, January 16, 2018 + 30 days
Excluding Weekends and public holidays

43 calendar days:
Excluded 6 Saturdays
Excluded 6 Sundays
Excluded 1 holiday:
Presidents' Day (Monday, February 19, 2018)

Result: Wednesday, February 28, 2018

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@chic*swatchwrote:

I have an unhappy buyer opened a return request on Jan 16th. We can not have an agreement to resolve it. She thinks the item arrives damaged, I don't think so and let her know it is natual and normal and easy to fixed. Anyways, after back and forth a few messages, she has been quiet for 31 days without further action. I thought the case should be automatically closed and my fund should be released in PayPal. But nothing happened today( Feb. 16th, the 31st day). Then I called eBay, the lady checked it and told me the case will be closed on Feb 28th which is 42 days after request started. I asked why, she didn't answer and suggest me better wait. I understand to keep waiting but not understand why eBay doesn't follow the policy for my case. And no explanation is bothering me even more. Anyone knows the answer?

Sorry but your OP is unclear.  The buyer thinks it is broken, but you say it is natural and normal, and that it is easy to be fixed. 

If it needs to be fixed, it must be broken.

If Ebay has to step in to resolve this for you, you will get a very serious seller defect, that of case closed without seller resolution.  Just a few of those and you will be gone.

I don't know why your deadline is different.  Perhaps the CSR was wrong.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Just as an aside, your buyer may not want to repair the item because he knows that he tries to have it fixed, he voids his buyer protection. So if repairing it doesn't work or doesn't quite make it like new, he loses all his leverage in terms of getting a refund from you.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Just as an aside, your buyer may not want to repair the item because he knows that he tries to have it fixed, he voids his buyer protection. So if repairing it doesn't work or doesn't quite make it like new, he loses all his leverage in terms of getting a refund from you.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. It is Ann Demeulemeester feather pin. She thinks the feather is split more than it showed in the photos by inproper packaging, but packaging has been very careful and we put quite some protection and layers. For the feather nature, a little bit combing will fixed the splits. All the ann demeulemeester feather pins are more or less splited, you may check the photos on the retails websites. BTW, the buyer has been difficult since she won the auction. She delayed to pay because she didn't see my shipping cost and bargained with me about cheaper quote...She said she needs time to think about. When I give her a timeline to pay, she complained I was so rude to her. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I understand she wouldn't, is that why my timeline doesn't follow the policy?
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@thallidguywrote:

He/she may also just not care to fix it; they may want the item undamaged; hence opening the case.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

It is 30 business days, not 30 days. 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@chic*swatchwrote:

Thanks for your reply. It is Ann Demeulemeester feather pin. She thinks the feather is split more than it showed in the photos by inproper packaging, but packaging has been very careful and we put quite some protection and layers. For the feather nature, a little bit combing will fixed the splits. All the ann demeulemeester feather pins are more or less splited, you may check the photos on the retails websites. BTW, the buyer has been difficult since she won the auction. She delayed to pay because she didn't see my shipping cost and bargained with me about cheaper quote...She said she needs time to think about. When I give her a timeline to pay, she complained I was so rude to her. 

I understand and it seems this was problematic from the first.  I see what you mean by fixed now.  Thank you.  Sorry this happened to you.  BBL her now.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I have different opinion about it and I don't agree to accept return, is that ok? She could ask eBay to step in which I don't care. But after 30 days passed, nothing happened further, should eBay follow their policy close the case? If you can't answer the key question, please be gone here. Thanks.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@chicswatch wrote:
She could ask eBay to step in which I don't care.

But after 30 days passed, nothing happened further, should eBay follow their policy close the case?

If you can't answer the key question, please be gone here.

From Tuesday, January 16, 2018 + 30 days
Excluding Weekends and public holidays

43 calendar days:
Excluded 6 Saturdays
Excluded 6 Sundays
Excluded 1 holiday:
Presidents' Day (Monday, February 19, 2018)

Result: Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Thank you very much! I saw the timelines in the eBay money guarantee policy, they mention "business days" at some other parts, so I assume, if they don't mention "business days", then it supposed to be calendar days.  Now I realized, it's all about busiess days according to your calculation. Below is the parts they mention and not mention, nerd

• If the seller offers a refund and doesn't issue it within 6 business days of the item's delivery to the seller, the buyer can ask us to step in and help for a period of 10 business days after the refund deadline has passed.

• If the buyer doesn't ask us to step in and help within 30 days of starting a request for a return (or the timelines described if a refund, replacement or exchange isn't received), the request closes automatically.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Thank you !!!
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Just accept the return. Being stubborn and refusing and getting eBay to step in hurts your account.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

The transaction is in my another account, I already got hurts by her negative feedback. As I said she has been difficult since the auction closed, not reading my description, not seeing my shipping detail, bargaining about the shipping cost, delaying to pay and blaming me to give her a deadline. Then she started the request to ask full refund and prepaid shipping label. I usually accept buyer's request even it is not fit, I could refuse but I didn't. But for this buyer in this case, I just had enough. Item is a very precious expensive pin, she didn't realize she got a huge bargain, she is offended by my refusal and left me a negative feedback. eBay gives buyer way too much power and benefits, it said 30 days after request started but actually it is 40+ days, eBay CS works everyday, why 30 business days??? Why People criticizes my attitude more than eBay unfair policy?
Message 15 of 25
latest reply