cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay have an incessant need to keep changing the listings and site?

Here we go again. eBay is going to drive everyone away one way or another. It's bad enough that everyone thinks eBay is one massive glitch. Now eBay's rolling out another beta test that failed last year. Hiding the descriptions, conditions, and photos will lead to numerous SNAD claims. Buyers will skip the links, and then buy stuff only to ship it back on the sellers dime.

Is it really that hard for eBay too get it together when it comes to mobile device viewing on the net? Come on' it's not rocket science. Just some code. Everyone else seems to have a handle on it, including the mom an pop sites. Get with the program eBay. Stop all the constant changes. Get it done and then leave it alone.

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Why does eBay have an incessant need to keep changing the listings and site?

Been under construction for about 25 years now, but we'll never see a finished product because they're so proudly constantly evolving and trying to immulate whatever Amazon did last year. Totally Rad stuff man, cutting edge all the time. Looks good in the news and will continue to look good to stockholders for awhile longer, with some down the road kicks from eBay Bucks. 
Problem with that is, eBay's customers are the sellers, and sellers don't like that. We're all trying to plan & build our own businesses within the confines of some rolling, bouncing, experimental & unpredictable, overbearing monster.  Last Workable Restore Point - Oct 2016

Message 46 of 81
latest reply

Re: Why does eBay have an incessant need to keep changing the listings and site?

@tommyjoetools wrote:

Been under construction for about 25 years now, but we'll never see a finished product because they're so proudly constantly evolving and trying to immulate whatever Amazon did last year. Totally Rad stuff man, cutting edge all the time. Looks good in the news and will continue to look good to stockholders for awhile longer, with some down the road kicks from eBay Bucks. 
Problem with that is, eBay's customers are the sellers, and sellers don't like that. We're all trying to plan & build our own businesses within the confines of some rolling, bouncing, experimental & unpredictable, overbearing monster.  Last Workable Restore Point - Oct 2016

eBay needs to put that ghost to rest. They'll never be Amazon. 

Message 47 of 81
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@tommyjoetools wrote:

Agreed. The first step to being Amazon would be making things work.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 48 of 81
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

everyone thinks eBay is one massive glitch.

No not everyone. Is something you made up by yourself.

Now eBay's rolling out another beta test that failed last year.

It is not the same beta test. Is that something you made up yourself.

Hiding the descriptions, conditions, and photos will lead to numerous SNAD claims.

Can you prove there will be more numerous claims or is that something you made up yourself.

Is it really that hard for eBay too get it together when it comes to mobile device viewing on the net? Come on' it's not rocket science. Just some code.

So do you have a computer science degree and know about coding or is that something you made up  yourself. 

Everyone else seems to have a handle on it, including the mom an pop sites.

Very few apps work the same as the actual internet site. Saying everyone else handles must be something you made up yourself.

Message 49 of 81
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@tommyjoetools wrote:

An that ain't happening. eBay would make a great slum lord. They both have a few things in common. The rents too high, and Nothing works. When I start to see virtual roaches darting across my screen, it'll definitely be time to leave.

Message 50 of 81
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

An that ain't happening. eBay would make a great slum lord. They both have a few things in common. The rents too high, and Nothing works. When I start to see virtual roaches darting across my screen, it'll definitely be time to leave.

Ebay is the cheapest price around for the amount of members and potential customers and most everything works fine. Yes maybe it is time for you to find another place. Ebay seems to have you stressed out and it cannot be good for your health. You mentioned you have customers driving from hours away to see you and make many sales every week so it sounds like you really have no reason to hang around a slumlord company such as Ebay.

Message 51 of 81
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

Hiding the descriptions, conditions, and photos will lead to numerous SNAD claims.

Can you prove there will be more numerous claims or is that something you made up yourself.

Is it really that hard for eBay too get it together when it comes to mobile device viewing on the net? Come on' it's not rocket science. Just some code.

So do you have a computer science degree and know about coding or is that something you made up  yourself. 

Very few apps work the same as the actual internet site. Saying everyone else handles must be something you made up yourself.

Here's the beauty of it all...Everything you hate on this board I'll take ownership of as my opinion...and I have a right to my opinion. So...If you don't like any of my opinions including the ones I just adopted, then don't read them. It's that simple. An that isn't rocket science either.

Message 52 of 81
latest reply

Good for you. You deserve a big old fashioned helpful for your anti ebay opinions. May you have many more to come.

Message 53 of 81
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Good for you. You deserve a big old fashioned helpful for your anti ebay opinions. May you have many more to come.

If your so hung up on people giving me helpfuls, take it up with them. Let them know that you don't like it, and that they need to stop. BTW...most of the helpfuls that I get have nothing to do with what your complaining about. Plus there's more important things going on in the world than to worry about why people are giving me helpfuls. Never in a million years would I have thought I would have to write a post like this one. 

Message 54 of 81
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@tommyjoetools wrote:

I'm also wondering how this whole Google driving traffic has affected their site overall.

Message 55 of 81
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

Well, I can state that it isn't that hard. At least not for USA programmers. Some of the problems come from programmers who HAVE a compuer science degree. That's one reason why I wouldn't hire one with a degree.

And we aren't talking about an app. We are talking about the actual site where the 'See fool description' link shows up instead of showing the the full description(as if should). 

And yes, there WILL be more SNAD's, because ebay takes pieces of the listing to show in the short description - and some of that doesn't even come from the actual listing(and yes, I have seen that). Who wants to go to another tab with just the description and nothing else, and toggle back and forth beween pages? 

Good Lord, at least YOU see these sponsored ads within the borders of our listings - not outside!  Asked cs rep about that - said they've been there for over 3 years and they are working on removing them.  Yah, right!  I think I would have noticed a nice little colorful ad under my user info WITHIN my listing for Oscar Mayer Hotdogs!  I told him he was lying.  It has been 5 days since I talked to eBay cs rep Jeremy ... and again, he told me more than a dozen times it was a "BUG" not a test!!! and that they were aware of the problem and working to fix it.  Nothing but a big fat lie!  I have done nothing to my browser (on Chrome since eBay told me on 4 separate phone calls to switch to Chrome).  NO FULL DESCRIPTIONS on my end for ANY LISTINGS (mine or other sellers).  So frustrating that people don't see what's going on.  If it was a "test", why no announcement, why no opt-out like in the past?  Why did Jeremy lie to me?

Message 57 of 81
latest reply

For the past couple of months, eBay CS reps have been telling me that the site is plagued with bugs and glitches. Even Trinton has tried to assure me that, that's not the case. I no longer know whats truth or misinformation to some extent.

I do know this much though. eBay has bugs that they keep dealing with, along with glitches. They also keep changing stuff on the site, and they are running secret tests on the member accounts without our knowledge, until it gets exposed on this or one of the other related boards. I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Message 58 of 81
latest reply

No kidding!  I was on the phone with Jeremy for 39 minutes.  Called him out on everything!  Asked him if it is a "bug", why doesn't eBay post a system problem announcement?  His reply:  We can't put up every problem or bug, there are just too many.  I am no novice to eBay.  Yes, I know nothing about today's technology, but I do know how things were in the past.  I've had multiple user IDs - started out as a buyer back in September of 1999 (you could actually leave feedback for someone back then, even if you had no transaction!).  Been on eBay nearly 18 years.   Got family members and friends to start bidding .... got family members and friends to start selling (taught them how to list - turned over a couple of my established accounts to help them out).  Absolutely loved eBay.  Now I just have constant nightmares.

Message 59 of 81
latest reply

@blonsterkathryn wrote:

No kidding!  I was on the phone with Jeremy for 39 minutes.  Called him out on everything!  Asked him if it is a "bug", why doesn't eBay post a system problem announcement?  His reply:  We can't put up every problem or bug, there are just too many.  I am no novice to eBay.  Yes, I know nothing about today's technology, but I do know how things were in the past.  I've had multiple user IDs - started out as a buyer back in September of 1999 (you could actually leave feedback for someone back then, even if you had no transaction!).  Been on eBay nearly 18 years.   Got family members and friends to start bidding .... got family members and friends to start selling (taught them how to list - turned over a couple of my established accounts to help them out).  Absolutely loved eBay.  Now I just have constant nightmares.

I believe that part of the problem on eBay is a layering effect. eBay is writing new code over old code. That can corrupt data. Another issue is that eBay code is not being written correctly. People aren't paying close attention to what they're doing.

Message 60 of 81
latest reply