cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do "potential" buyers make reasonable offers to then outright never pay and disappear

Ever since they removed the "unpaid item strike" buyers have been out of control, if I had 1/10th of a cent for every time I heard a "sorry my phone accidentally made a reasonable offer on your item, even properly input the amount with the decimal point while I was running a triathlon and it all happened while it was jiggling around in my pocket" -OR- "Sorry my highly intelligent child unlocked my phone while I wasn't paying attention and made a reasonable offer on your item." excuse I'd be rich. ***end rant***

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Why do "potential" buyers make reasonable offers to then outright never pay and disappear

When did they remove the unpaid item strike?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@bmp_auto_salvage 

You can rant, I'm listening.  You forgot the one about the cat, yeah, my cat made an offer!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Do you have "immediate payment required" checked off? If you don't that's why these people are not paying.  They use ebay as a playground and unfortunately taking time and money from the seller. You have all "buy it now" listings.  No best offer, as that's another way they can get around to not paying.  If you check that box, you'll rid your self of this problem.  One more thing...you state you do not accept returns.  No returns does not mean no "refunds." I would offer returns as it's ebay's Money Back Guarantee that slapped across our listing pages and advertised daily.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Can you direct me to the place on eBay where it says they have removed the unpaid item strike? 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@bmp_auto_salvage wrote:

Ever since they removed the "unpaid item strike" buyers have been out of control, if I had 1/10th of a cent for every time I heard a "sorry my phone accidentally made a reasonable offer on your item, even properly input the amount with the decimal point while I was running a triathlon and it all happened while it was jiggling around in my pocket" -OR- "Sorry my highly intelligent child unlocked my phone while I wasn't paying attention and made a reasonable offer on your item." excuse I'd be rich. ***end rant***

When did eBay "remove the unpaid item strike"? 

That aside ...

There are essentially no consequences to a buyer who makes multiple "reasonable" offers to multiple sellers, and then chooses the best deal from among the accepted offers. 

So IMHO the solution is easy - stop accepting offers and start lowering your prices instead.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

An unpaid item strike is still issued, just the time frame has changed.  After 4 days of non-payment, cancel the transaction and choose buyer hasn't paid.  A strike is issued.  Set it up automatically to save time.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 7
latest reply