cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the categories still so messed up?

I am so confused by the way the categories are categorized. Mainly why is everything lumped into a few general categories. I just updated a very nice art glass sculpture with it being listed in the categories Art-Sculptures and Pottery & Glass-Decor Pottery & Glassware Sculpture but when I look at the listing it shows Home & Garden-Home Decor as the main category. Why lead people on thinking they are listing in their chosen category? Get it straight and fix the categories so what we see when we are listing an item and what a customer sees when they are searching match. The categories now have so many  inconsistencies . For example the Art-Sculpture category I chose is NOT SHOWN anywhere in the Home & Garden or Home Decor categories. Pottery & Glass is but only when you click the down arrow to show the categories included on Home & Garden's main page. Once you click see all in Home Decor and go to it's designated page guess what category is MIA. It doesn't make sense. I know this is your platform to change and re-arrange how you see fit but do it so it is uniform across the entire site with no grey areas. It makes the web site seem undone. And lastly can you please change the Pottery & Glassware Sculpture to Pottery & Glass Sculpture. Glassware is primarily used for drinking, eating etc. and are not sculptures. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Why are the categories still so messed up?

volsen@ebay.com wrote:

@tealt wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Thank you very much for following up on this.

I sincerely hope that strange category mutations will not occur when I start listing again in August.

Maybe my silver plated basket listing was caught in one of those double secret betas that sometimes occur unannounced on eBay?

Always happy to help @tealt! I've also heard back from the team with good news:

After further research, the listings are indeed being listed under Collectibles and not H&G. The breadcrumb is a display issue rather than a reflection of the real categories the listings are listed against.

They said they'll look further into what is causing listings to display that way and if it's not being done by design, implement a fix. 

Are you an Ebay employee?  Just checking as the Ebay logo doesn't show on your post.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

volsen@ebay.com wrote:

After further research, the listings are indeed being listed under Collectibles and not H&G. The breadcrumb is a display issue rather than a reflection of the real categories the listings are listed against.

They said they'll look further into what is causing listings to display that way and if it's not being done by design, implement a fix. 

Hey velvet@ebay - this odd category trail is not exclusive to P&G. I've seen it across numerous categories for several months now.

In fact, it caused confusion for some posters on this thread back in May about trading cards. Notice how the live listing shows the OP's trading cards listed under Sporting Goods? This caused some posters to think the OP's listing was not eligible for eBay Standard Envelope due to listing in the wrong category when that wasn't the case.

The below screenshot shows the category as selected on the listing form, then under the green line shows how the category displays on the live listing. The live listing is from the OP of that thread I linked if you want to grab any item numbers.

tradingcardcategory.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@tealt wrote:

velvet@ebay 

I sincerely hope that strange category mutations will not occur when I start listing again in August.

Maybe my silver plated basket listing was caught in one of those double secret betas that sometimes occur unannounced on eBay?

-----Looks like there was a miss-post earlier, sorry! The information was correct though so I'm restating it below-----

Velvet,
eBay
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

volsen@ebay.com wrote:

@tealt wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Are you an Ebay employee?  Just checking as the Ebay logo doesn't show on your post.

Thanks for catching that @mam98031! It was a miss-post so I've deleted it as to not cause confusion. The information was correct though, so I created a new post with it. Thanks again!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

volsen@ebay.com wrote:

Hey velvet@ebay - this odd category trail is not exclusive to P&G. I've seen it across numerous categories for several months now.

In fact, it caused confusion for some posters on this thread back in May about trading cards. Notice how the live listing shows the OP's trading cards listed under Sporting Goods? This caused some posters to think the OP's listing was not eligible for eBay Standard Envelope due to listing in the wrong category when that wasn't the case.

The below screenshot shows the category as selected on the listing form, then under the green line shows how the category displays on the live listing. The live listing is from the OP of that thread I linked if you want to grab any item numbers.

tradingcardcategory.png

Hi @wastingtime101! We were advised that:

The breadcrumb is a display issue rather than a reflection of the real categories the listings are listed against.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Thanks, I saw that in your other post that I quoted velvet@ebay. Just wanted to make sure they had the info that it's not exclusive to P&G.

Can you ask them to follow up with you if it turns out to be by design so you can let us know?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Thanks, I saw that in your other post that I quoted velvet@ebay. Just wanted to make sure they had the info that it's not exclusive to P&G.

Can you ask them to follow up with you if it turns out to be by design so you can let us know?

Gotcha @wastingtime101! Thank you! I will definitely follow-up with anything else I get from them. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 22 of 22
latest reply