cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many people so cheap these days?

I thought it was only at yard sales and on Craigslist that shoppers want everything for nothing.  I am findng the same mentality on eBay now.   I have been selling for about 10 years through various avenues and have never seen anything like this.  Have a brand new in package $175 quilt for sale on Craigslist (right now won't even think about listing it on eBay because of shipping costs) and am asking only $40.  Email I get yesterday only asks, "How low will you go?"  Really?  I know some people like this "game," but I am really tired of all the lowball offers.  

Message 1 of 225
latest reply
224 REPLIES 224

Re: Why are so many people so cheap these days?

@rixstuff wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

ebay has been encouraging buyers to haggle for years now.

And national news programs and talk shows have been instructing viewers on how to haggle a better price at even retail outlets to save money, so cheap has become a cancer that has metastasized to other areas.

If I were you, I'd send a I'll go $50. to the buyer (yes, I know it's priced at $40) and let them know that you aren't playing the haggle game.  Or you can spend the better part of your selling life figuring out what you want for your items and then adding 30 - 60% onto all the prices and telling them you will take offers so you can play the haggle game with success.

Haggling is international.  It is just basic economics.  Retail stores mark items up THREE HUNDRED PERCENT and totally make out like bandits.  I know it, now YOU know it. So you can get it for 75% off and they STILL make money.  Why WOULD you pay full price for it?  and honestly - online or in the store - havent you seen items that you would gladly pay $40 for but not the $95 asking price?  And we know that many Ebay sellers mimic the outrageous unjustified price that some other seller has put on items (and that has sat unsold for two years straight now) without checking to see what people really SOLD it for.  And others use way too much emotion when pricing - I wont pay $50 for that shirt because it was your Dad's before he passed away.  I will only give the same $10 as every other seller is asking for it.  And some sellers thing every brass and rhinestone piece of jewelry is the hope diamond.  An itm is only "worth" what someone will pay you for it. It is "worth" nothing if nobody will buy it.

I love those buyers that tell me that the others are going for xxx so that's what I am offering.

When I had my B&M vintage store, I would get the cheapos that would tell me that my $45 price tag for those hard to find XL 60s bell bottom jeans was way too much - and they can find them at Goodwill for $5.....or Target or Salvation Army and on and on.

And we'd say go ahead, here is a list of all the thrift shops in the area.  Go get them and since I am charging $40 more than they are, if you find a pile of honest to gosh vintage ones in that size, buy them up and bring them here and I'll triple your money.  The few that left came right back emptyhanded and bought/rented their stuff from me.

I got a potential buyer on the other site that keeps making offers on a rare mens vintage 50s shirt that I have priced really low for what it is.  The second offer they made, they made the - well, everyone else is selling them for much less, arguement for my taking their offer.  My comeback was that since mine was the only one that has been listed on the site and I have never seen one on ebay, if they can send me a link to those listings, I'll be happy to consider their offer.  But I can not understand why he wouldn't just be buying one of those since they are cheaper than mine is now.

That is something so many sellers overlook in their haste to make a sale.  The buyer wants yours and there is a reason for it.

(*Bleep*)
Message 106 of 225
latest reply

Probably a huge demographic of ebay buyers is low or very low income! The same applies to ebay sellers.

ebay is a giant flea market. Just like inner cities, ebay retailers with millions in inventory and paid staff set up their tables next to sellers with thousands of used clothing listings they bought for $.05 a pound ...or got free out of dumpsters and want ridiculous prices for. 

I offer any seller the least I am willing to pay, like every other consumer. The polyanna stuff in the thread is laughable and no one is buying  it. Lol

Retail  prices are incredibly low, but ebay is a state of mind.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 107 of 225
latest reply

For every entitled buyer there is an entitled seller.

BTW it is no longer an Ebay violation for buyers to contact sellers without Best Offer. In fact I heard they added the ability to offer back to a messager with an offer that will automatically create a sale if accepted. Ebay WANTS people to negotiate.

Nobody is saying you need to deal with these people but the tag of "entitled buyer" right off the bat just rubs me the wrong way. When did selling become more of the "my way or the highway" as opposed to just serving your customer?

I'm glad that you sold later but for many "entitled" sellers who turn down "entitled" buyers, their items just sit and rot.

Message 108 of 225
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I think my husband wants the hoard decreased and if I was to die first he would PAY SOMEONE to take it away. 

I tell my husband I'm more than willing to discuss my hoard right after he tells me I'm free to start listing HIS.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 109 of 225
latest reply

The clerks at the thrift store feel exactly the same way about you, as opposed to a poor mom buying her kids coats. Lol

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 110 of 225
latest reply

We were discussing this the other day. It's just as ridiculous for them to be passing judgement on Ebay resellers as it is for sellers to be judging their buyers.

When I sell something I don't give a care in the world what the buyer is going to do with it. If they're going to resell, more power to them. It doesn't matter what happens to the item once it leaves my hands because all the money spends the same.

Message 111 of 225
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

For every entitled buyer there is an entitled seller.

BTW it is no longer an Ebay violation for buyers to contact sellers without Best Offer. In fact I heard they added the ability to offer back to a messager with an offer that will automatically create a sale if accepted. Ebay WANTS people to negotiate.

Nobody is saying you need to deal with these people but the tag of "entitled buyer" right off the bat just rubs me the wrong way. When did selling become more of the "my way or the highway" as opposed to just serving your customer?

I'm glad that you sold later but for many "entitled" sellers who turn down "entitled" buyers, their items just sit and rot.

Yes! I dont do as many auctions as I used to but I had a buyer offer me a price on an item that was listed at auction.  It wasnt as much as BIN but it was more than the opening bid.  I dont get why she didnt just bid on it - she could have gotten a deal.  She didnt bid and it didnt sell but I did do FP the second time with BO and let her have it but weird  that she paid more.

Message 112 of 225
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

ersatz I always make sure I take those 59 cent thrift store price tags off my merchandise buyers tend to pop a cork if they paid a $100.00 and see you only paid 59 cents...

Please don't say that. This thread is suppose to be about cheapskate buyers not cheapskate sellers who pay 59 cents at a thrift store or garage sell walking out with that $100 item. lol

Or grandma REALLY  paid 59 cents for it...back in 1947.  I LOVE those old items with the original stickers still on!

Message 113 of 225
latest reply

think there aren't more, but  ebay brings them to the front of the line... and lets face it you can offer anything....same3 as you can price it as high as you wish....so just do it to see what happens....like fishing...some fish nibble but never will be causgt...but the right fish just wants the bait and is fine to stay on the hook....that is deep!

Message 114 of 225
latest reply

If my items sit and rot, that's my business. They're MY items. Doesn't mean I'm entitled at all. But it might mean I'm just not cut out for this business. If a buyer pays my price, there's no entitlement involved. If I'm willing to take less, no entitlement there either.

BUT- seeing as it is MY item, I AM entitled to the choice of whether to haggle or not haggle. IMO, not a bad thing at all.
Message 115 of 225
latest reply

An "insult" is personal. This is not personal, it's business.

A lowball offer is usually just an opening. Shoppers try it because sometimes it works.

Sellers start high thinking they can always come down. Shoppers start low thinking they will likely go higher.

Why is this an "insult"?
Message 116 of 225
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

We were discussing this the other day. It's just as ridiculous for them to be passing judgement on Ebay resellers as it is for sellers to be judging their buyers.

When I sell something I don't give a care in the world what the buyer is going to do with it. If they're going to resell, more power to them. It doesn't matter what happens to the item once it leaves my hands because all the money spends the same.

Me neither - once I get my money they can sell it, burn it, give it to their dog to chew, melt it, or toss it in the lake.  Not my item any more so not my business.

Message 117 of 225
latest reply

Fer cryin' out loud....I said right in my post I was aware that ebay policy has changed in this regard.

Message 118 of 225
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

" ...if you find something at a yard sale and the seller is asking $1.00 and you know you can make $5.00 off it, it is immoral to ask that seller to take less.  "

--------

I disagree.

If the seller agrees to a 50 cent offer, then the offer and acceptance was mutually 'moral'.

btw

has anyone in this thread acknowledged that perhaps some of these "cheap" people may have financial problems like unemployment, and need to keep a roof over their family's head and food on the table?

That may be why they're offering $25.00 for a $100.00+ item

Because every extra spare dollar they can squeeze out of the purchase price, may help them pay their rent or utilities on time.

jmtcw,

Lynn

I respectfully disagree.  If I already know I'm going to make a decent profit on something, I'm certainly not going to negotiate any further.  Odds are the seller who has already priced it where I can make money has no idea of the value so why should he take any less?  Because I say so?

I rarely haggle at the flea market.  If the asking price is right, I buy it.  If it isn't, I explain why and either offer what it should be sold for or just walk away.  If nothing else, it has established my reputation of being fair.  Sometimes I might overpay but to me that's just the price of admission. 

I can't tell you how many dealers now show me the stuff first.

Joe

Message 119 of 225
latest reply

I doubt all of these cheap-os *dicker* with their physician.... Their mechanic ...their carpenter.....Their Bakery.... Their grocer....Why should an eBay seller be any different???  Pony up, and pay the price!!

Message 120 of 225
latest reply