cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Is My Stuff Not Selling?

I've been selling on Ebay for a while now. I've built up a good reputation, and yet, although I have tried everything to get more of my inventory sold as quickly as possible (promoting most of my listings, including as many details in the listings as possible, etc), I haven't made a sale in days and none of the items I'm trying to sell are showing any signs of selling any time soon. What more can I do to get my stuff sold as quickly as possible?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Why Is My Stuff Not Selling?

With only 63 listings, the types of things you have listed, and where you’re priced I wouldn’t expect you’d see more than a once in a while sale. The math is stacked against you and it’s not like you have high demand items. Inflation is a beast right now. If you have items buyers want they will find them if they’re priced correctly. It’s competitive, so if you’re selling anything others are selling you have to have an edge, be it price, condition, reputation. I’m not suggesting you engage in pricing everything lower than everyone else, what I’m suggesting is you ask yourself “why would someone want to buy my item?” If you were looking to purchase one of what you have would you decide to purchase yours or a competitor’s? Be honest with yourself because business doesn’t bend to our whims. We are constantly assessing where we are priced, searching like items. If you want sales you have to go get them, the days of list stuff and it keeps rolling out are gone at least for now. I promise I’m not trying to be mean, I’m giving you an objective answer in hopes it helps you. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The only thing I can say is it's a buyers market, so to speak.  There are a some search problems as well, but for the most part there's just too many items and not enough buyers. 

Although I've done ok with sales over the last 2 weeks; I've also had a good number of lowball offers from obvious re-sellers.  The re-sellers are out in force and I can't blame them.  Buy low, sell high.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Technically I actually have 124 items listed. Curious where you got 63 from?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Sorry, I meant 124. Was looking at your listings for the actual number and went back to post and put the feedback number in. Anyway, what I said still applies at 124.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@onthescrews wrote:

I’m not suggesting you engage in pricing everything lower than everyone else, what I’m suggesting is you ask yourself “why would someone want to buy my item?” 

I have to agree with that. I looked through your listings but I think a similar question to ask yourself about any given item is 'Is it worth my while to list this?' 

I see a lot of items with zero description beyond repeating what the title says. In some cases there is only a single photo of the item. That listing of a Star Wars AT-M6 Walker shows only what appears to be a box lid and a bit of damage peeking out of one side. Apparently its a buildable kit but there is no indication about whether its built or unassembled or missing parts or ect.

Another is a game cartridge that is listed as 'for parts' ('GameShark For Nintendo Original GameBoy and GameBoy Pocket *FOR PARTS*.') but why is it for parts? What parts would anyone be likely to buy it for?

For 'R.L. Stine Goosebumps Postcard Book Incomplete Rare Scary Kids Intact.' there is again only one photo and no explanation of what makes it either 'Incomplete' or 'Intact' (two words which seem to contradict each other).

I would suggest picking fewer items of a bit higher value - I dont mean a laptop but some item you have that has a decent resale value - and doing a more thorough and detailed job of listing it. If you have items that other sellers are actually selling then study their listings and upgrade yours in a similar manner. A lot of cheap used stuff is better off donated then to burn up your time in listing it here. Its not sheer quantity that will get you sales here but good items that will draw peoples interest. Good luck.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I do see your point. I just went and updated the listing of the Star Wars Walker to start with, adding some more pictures and describing the item better. Thank you for your feedback, this is helpful!

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@mpssupershop wrote:

I do see your point. I just went and updated the listing of the Star Wars Walker to start with, adding some more pictures and describing the item better. Thank you for your feedback, this is helpful!

Youre welcome - that is indeed an example of an item that is probably worth enhancing with more photos and detail in the description.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Alright recently I've gone through a bunch of my items on my pages and updated the listings however I can. Added more details to the descriptions where applicable, combined a few items into more valuable lots, and for some additional appeal I've added free shipping to a number of my items.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Unfortunately, your expectations may be too high.  124 listings and 66 items sold within the past 90 days is better than a lot of ebay sellers.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

For what you're selling and how many items, you're actually doing quite well.  I would say that the toys, hobbies, games, etc., are really your strong point.  The clothing isn't really - the brands are mostly low cost and selling for pennies here - nothing wrong with the clothes themselves, it's just how they do here.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yeah honestly I agree. To date only one listing of clothes I've put up has sold, honestly I only put them up on my page at this point because I don't know what else to do with them and because of blind hope I can still get some money out of them.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I'd put sizes on some of your stuff..........you have a "whale" toy.......I can't tell if it's and inch or a foot long...........use a soda can/apple/quarter......something.... in one of the pictures and then put the inches in the titles and descriptions....... 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@mpssupershop wrote:

Yeah honestly I agree. To date only one listing of clothes I've put up has sold, honestly I only put them up on my page at this point because I don't know what else to do with them and because of blind hope I can still get some money out of them.

Lump them into a lot and sell a single size in a lot, or do that and sell locally on FB MP.  Personally, the 1st thing I ever sold on ebay was over 20 years ago.  I had a box of my daughter's size 3 clothes, lumped them all together, sold as a lot for $30.  We were tickled pink.  She is 27 now...

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Gap Khakis Men's Tailored Straight Fit Chino Pants 32x30 Cotton Black Dark Wash

this item has shipping over $15 from CT to PA.  It should fit in a flat rate envelope, So would cost the buyer $10 ish and you about $8.  If you're on YT, many clothing sellers there show how the fold the FR envelope along the bottom to almost make a box.

Same with PUMA Boy's Track Jacket and BOY’S SIZE Large Clothes Lot Of 4 T Short Sleeve Diary Of A Wimpy Kid shirts.

Your Lewes Delaware DE T-Shirt EST should have the size in the title.  Also for clothing, it's not a bad idea to place a yardstick both horizontally and vertically in the pictures.  Even if the back is plain, show photos of the back, and also a close up of the front.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply