cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is responsible for an item damaged in the mail on a return?

I had a remorse return that was returned to me (totally reboxed/packaged) and it was damaged in the mail. I contacted ebay facebook and after 24 hours they finally got back to me and told me to use the partial refund tool. After getting nowhere I called ebay (where I talked to two different reps) and I was told the same thing and I was also told it was my responsibility to file an insurance claim. 

I went through this exact same scenario a few months ago and talked with ebay facebook. They requested photos, I sent them to them and it was settled in minutes. Being I have to refund them by the end of the day I was told the return would be placed on hold. That hasn't happened yet and last time a rep told me that it was never placed on hold and the system automatically refunded the buyer and I was told sorry nothing we can do now.  

It would seem since then and now something changed as I can't get a clear answer and just got the run around. I was also told by the other rep to have the buyer file an insurance claim. None of these make me whole on something that was 100% out of my control. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Who is responsible for an item damaged in the mail on a return?

Being a TRS and offer 30 day returns, you can deduct 50% from the refund.

Return shipping labels do not include insurance.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

We kinda hope buyers would be able to ship like us sellers (with experience) for returns...but that isn't usually going to happen. 

And this is where feedback comes into play...pushing the buyer to re-package something and return it.

A one item return where you get a one year negative feedback...is it worth it?

Maybe the refund might have helped not getting any feedback.

Plus trying  a how  &  who and such to get an insurance refund.....wasting your time....

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The phone reps are only reading from a script so you can pretty much ignore whatever "advice" they gave you. Return labels do not carry any insurance on them so neither you nor the buyer can file a claim. Buyers are not sellers and not experienced in how to package and ship items back. The only way to get an item returned correctly is when it's a small light weight item, and the buyer tells you they still have the packaging used to ship. This is a risk when selling items online. Only a court can make you 100% whole, not an online selling platform. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Return shipping labels do not include insurance.

I have insured a few high value return packages through my third party shipping insurance using  tracking the number supplied via ebay's return info . However,  I have never had to try and collect on it... so who knows if I would run into problems making a claim.

CDM Antiques
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Looks like this turned into something else. When I unpackaged the item it was wrapped in clearish pink bubble wrap and taped. I could see it was broken so I didn't bother unwrapping it. I was talking with my g/f and she asked why would they even unbox it and rewrap and rebox it. Something clicked and sure enough my suspicions were confirmed. They stole a key part off it and not only that opened it up and looks like they stole inner parts as well. They were clever and carefully pealed back part of a sticker that was on a seam to open it up. 

Well this sucks. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The 'first time' was a Courtesy Refund back to you. After that- it's just the price of doing business and the 50% 'refund' is the compromise (and you DO need to do that, because if ebay refunds for you, you will NOT get fees back, they will 'force' a FULL refund and then DING your metrics for them 'having to take care of your customer' (yes, I know- the 'thief' but that's just the part of 'doing business' on the interwebs). 

The only OTHER thing you can do is 'sue them' in small claims, going to THEIR location etc and even then, you really have no proof and there is no proof what you REALLY received. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I know this. I was given bad advice back in December for a case and was told it was put on hold, it wasn't. Luckily I got the mark removed but was still out the money. This time around I knew better. Luckily ebay checked the pictures I sent the buyer and read the message and sided withe me. I still want to file an IC3 and mail fraud but not sure I still can since I am now not out anything. 

Contrary to what some people might say. If someone steals from you on ebay, sending back a different item, empty box, ect. If you get an incident report or perhaps an IC3 report or something along those lines ebay will fully refund you. At least that has always been the case with me. The rep I talked with had it closed within a few minutes. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply