cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Ebay start requiring automatic payment for accepted offers?

I have noticed that more and more buyers end up not paying after I accept an offer from them. This is such a waste of our time as sellers… Our item is then not available to other potential buyers for at minimum a four day period, we lose all of our watchers on that item, etc. eBay seems very behind the times in not requiring cards to be charged when an offer is accepted, as Poshmark and Mercari do. At the very least, let us set our own minimum time requirements for payment, like 2 days, instead of 4 days!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: When will Ebay start requiring automatic payment for accepted offers?

How about 2 hours?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@vintageforthepeople 

I bought something from a seller a few days ago and when they accepted my offer, a big blue button appeared and read "Pay now" and I did.  Perhaps this is only offered to so many right now and still might be in the testing stage, but yes, it needs to be addressed.  Too many sellers are out their running after their hard earned money and wind up getting stiffed.  It's not fair.  I do not post best offers because of this reason.  Another is the ones who bid and don't pay as a sport and for fun.  They get so many strikes, get suspended and just turn around open a new account only to do the same thing to others.  I don't get it.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You can just close that big blue Pay Now button, and wander away for weeks at a time with no repercussions.  Or at least for 4 days.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It is in the works, and has been for some time now.

Some buyers are required to provide a payment source before making an offer. There seems to at this point, be no rhyme, nor reason as to which buyers are in the "test".

Seems that the plan may be to make it a requirement. Sellers have the option to "opt out"of the requirement as it can be problematic when a buyer is interested in making offers on multiple listings.

Some good experienced buyer back away when confronted with the requirement. Making an offer ties up the buyer's funds for a time even if the seller declines the offer limiting the buyer's ability to move on to another seller when they have limited funds.

eBay is still testing. Bugs to be worked out. Perhaps someday it will become a smooth process.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

You can just close that big blue Pay Now button, and wander away for weeks at a time with no repercussions.  Or at least for 4 days.

Exactly!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply