cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I block buyer

I'm a seller on a different account. I received a first-time negative fb, from a buyer even though the item was listed as UNTESTED and with FREE returns. Ugh. What a pain. I wrote a very professional response letting him know I'm sorry the item wasn't satisfactory, that free returns are free, and would he consider simply returning the item and removing the negative feedback...even the initial shipping was free, so he'd "only" be out his time to do the return. 

I want to block this buyer but he still has 10 days left to return. Can/should I block him now or do I need to/should I wait the 10 days?

Once the 30 days has passed I'll also reply to the fb (very professionally of course).

Thanks for any input! 🙂

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: When should I block buyer

@pacificmedia 

He won't know you blocked him, so block him whenever you want.   There is an Automated FB removal tool, here:  

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp

It works pretty well & quickly when the removal is valid.  IDK if they will remove yours, but you can try.  Make sure to indicate that you have free returns & all the buyer had to do is return it on YOUR dime.  They may not remove it just b/c no rules were broken by the buyer.  But I've had good luck & they're removed several of mine, both clear cut ones & one that was not clear cut.  Good luck.  They work quickly, so you'll know soon.  They don't send anything out though, you'll just see your FB gone, if they remove it. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You can block them now.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm glad he removed the negative feedback.

No need to wait. The sooner you block him the better.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Oh shoot- I didn't clarify that well did I!:  He didn't respond and neg fb is still there. Its just that he still has 10 days...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@pacificmedia 

He won't know you blocked him, so block him whenever you want.   There is an Automated FB removal tool, here:  

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp

It works pretty well & quickly when the removal is valid.  IDK if they will remove yours, but you can try.  Make sure to indicate that you have free returns & all the buyer had to do is return it on YOUR dime.  They may not remove it just b/c no rules were broken by the buyer.  But I've had good luck & they're removed several of mine, both clear cut ones & one that was not clear cut.  Good luck.  They work quickly, so you'll know soon.  They don't send anything out though, you'll just see your FB gone, if they remove it. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I received a first-time negative fb, from a buyer even though the item was listed as UNTESTED and with FREE returns.”

Hi @pacificchihuahua This is a bit off-topic. But wanted to ask if your item was listed as “For Parts/Not Working” by any chance? 

Selling untested items on eBay can be problematic. If one cannot test for working condition, it is difficult to establish complete accuracy in the listing. It becomes the buyer’s burden to guess at the item’s condition. For such items, you’d be better off selling locally to minimize your risk.

There really is no such thing as “as-is” on eBay, because of the Money Back Guarantee. 
Too many buyers don’t read the description and therefore base their buying decisions on just price and photos. That sometimes doesn’t end well for the seller.

The buyer may get surprised when their item doesn't work, opening the possibility for a Not As Described case to occur. The liability is multiplied if the item has been listed as “used” rather than for parts/not working.

Keep in mind that eBay doesn't have a “buyer beware” philosophy. On this platform, it is the seller that absorbs the risk—done by design, to protect the buyer, often at the seller’s expense.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you!! Ok I'll block him now.

WRT the feedback removal, yeah, I already went thru it when he first left the fb but was denied. Thanks anyway though! (I was at least very relieved when I saw they offer the buyer the ability to respond publicly to the fb!)

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Oh no- it's for a vinyl record. I sell them all as untested and never had a complaint. Buyer wrote "record scratches" and that's it. Which actually doesn't even make sense lol (do you mean "it has scratches"? Or do you mean "record skips"?.....) 

Now, I have sold other items for parts only but only after much debate after reading half the comments on eBay Community saying "don't ever do that" and the other half saying "I do it all the time, never had a problem". 🙄   So far, so good on those.  I will say, when I've sold such items, I've listed them as, for example:

"COMPLETELY BROKEN tape recorder. EVERY ASPECT OF IT IS TOTALLY BROKEN and it doesn't power on. PLEASE PURCHASE FOR PARTS ONLY."

I figure that should at the least, dissuade anyone from ASSUMING it could work! 

Additionally, I also never sell anything like that for more than $20 + shipping. I figure every time it's a bit of a gamble and so far, so good.

But I truly appreciate your input and taking the time to give me the heads up! Thank you!! 🙂

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I block people everyday.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply