cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When relisting multiple variation listings, eBay's system relists all items, even the ones that were

When relisting multiple variation listings, eBay's system relists all items, even the ones that were sold!  This is a problem since I just had a buyer purchase an item that was out of stock.  I had to refund buyer, explain the siuation and of course apologize profusely for the error!! 

I use bulk relisting when relisting my unsold tems so it would be a pain to have to look at each item sold in the MV listings, and recount all my inventory to make sure an item that was sold out is not being relisted as being in stock!

Where can I go to message eBay and let them know of the problem? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: When relisting multiple variation listings, eBay's system relists all items, even the ones that

You are renewing an original listing so everything is the same as the original.

Since you have a store why not just use GTC (good til cancelled) for your MV listing.  Many sellers use this path becasue it gives you a chance to edit the quantities as the listing stays live.  It also does not change anything when it auto renews.  Plus you get a much better search placement after you listing has been live for a while because it shows a lot of views, watchers and sales against the listing.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: When relisting multiple variation listings, eBay's system relists all items, even the ones that

Been there, done that. Don't bother, eBay is well aware of it and they have no intention of changing it.

Don't forget, you most likely got a defect for that transaction you had to cancel.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

What does got a defect mean? I haven't canceled yet...just refunded.  I might just eat the 10% FVF if it's going to be a problem.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You get a defect because you didn't know that listings relist at the original quantity unless you change it first.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You are renewing an original listing so everything is the same as the original.

Since you have a store why not just use GTC (good til cancelled) for your MV listing.  Many sellers use this path becasue it gives you a chance to edit the quantities as the listing stays live.  It also does not change anything when it auto renews.  Plus you get a much better search placement after you listing has been live for a while because it shows a lot of views, watchers and sales against the listing.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Great advice! Thanks everyone!!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

This happened to me so many times last year when I started selling multiple item listings, and I even got a few marks on my record because of it. But I still didn't know why. I finally called eBay customer service about it. The explanation is that if you use the "relist" option, it will relist the item as it was at the very start, not taking into account any items that were sold the first time around. If you have, say, 10 items and sell five, to relist, you have to make sure you use the "edit listing" function and change the quantities in the variation listing. It kind of makes sense except that it is in no way intuitive.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I just spent 3 hours on the phone with eBay, as they continue to sell things I do not have in stock!!!  Today was the last straw!  The buyer has verbally whipped me and I immediately after finding out I didn't have the item, refunded her money through eBay.  Ebay says they don't see the refund...I SHOULD CALL PAYPALL!!!!!!   I have 16 Cancelled Transactions-because of eBay relisting my items that were previously sold- from 9-2014 through today, preventing me from ever reaching TOP RATED status. I have spoken with the supervisor, Brain and he was adamint that eBay did not relist it, but was equally positive that it was a Listing Tool that was choosen to relist it.  I assured him I did not relist, and he vehmentaly said it wasn't eBay!!!!!!    I am so frustrated at this point in time. Help!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@rmkps wrote:

I just spent 3 hours on the phone with eBay, as they continue to sell things I do not have in stock!!!  Today was the last straw!  The buyer has verbally whipped me and I immediately after finding out I didn't have the item, refunded her money through eBay.  Ebay says they don't see the refund...I SHOULD CALL PAYPALL!!!!!!   I have 16 Cancelled Transactions-because of eBay relisting my items that were previously sold- from 9-2014 through today, preventing me from ever reaching TOP RATED status. I have spoken with the supervisor, Brain and he was adamint that eBay did not relist it, but was equally positive that it was a Listing Tool that was choosen to relist it.  I assured him I did not relist, and he vehmentaly said it wasn't eBay!!!!!!    I am so frustrated at this point in time. Help!

@spkmr

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/It-finally-happened-to-me-Already-sold-listing-goes-live-and/m-...

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

That MVL is a great tool when it works right.  But you do have to be careful when relisting with it because it DOES take the original amount that you had in the first listing.  It's too bad ebay can't figure out how to have it keep track of the current amount that is being relisted, but it just doesn't and if you are going to use it, then you must be aware of this when relisting.  I like it and happen to use it often, but I'm very careful when relisting with it.  I think ebay should have some responsibility for educating the sellers when they use it to relist with, like a little warning prompt to check your current inventory on this item or something when relisting. 

Photobucket

Ooh La La Princess Boutique

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@jeanetteski2 wrote:

That MVL is a great tool when it works right.  But you do have to be careful when relisting with it because it DOES take the original amount that you had in the first listing.  It's too bad ebay can't figure out how to have it keep track of the current amount that is being relisted, but it just doesn't and if you are going to use it, then you must be aware of this when relisting.  I like it and happen to use it often, but I'm very careful when relisting with it.  I think ebay should have some responsibility for educating the sellers when they use it to relist with, like a little warning prompt to check your current inventory on this item or something when relisting. 

MVL's are SUPPOSED to be used as GTC's so you don't have that issue.

eBay created them for that purpose.

I do agree on the educating people part though.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

With a single item listing - If you reduce the price of an item 3 days before it ends then relist after ending It relists including your latest change, NOT as original listing...

The same common sense process should apply to a variation listing (it's not rocket science).

I too was caught out by this one recently (I have been informed it will likely result in a defect and any appeal is likely to be unsuccessful).

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for the information. I was kicked of eBay as of Oct 2015. They do not want to hear anything, all appeals by myself have been denied by eBay. I have called repeadedly. Good luck to you!
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Simply list all multiple quantity listings as Good Till Cancelled to avoid this problem. A bonus is the listing keeps it sales history and the listing gets a boost in search results. Do a search of anything and chances are the items near the top are multiple quantity listings with previous sales.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I had that problem, too. Took me a while to figure out why eBay kept selling things I no longer had in stock because they had sold in a multiple or variation listing. I have recently had a problem with things being sold twice that were not multiple listings or variations, a glitch for which I cannot find an explanation.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply