cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is going on eBay?

What is eBay doing that would cause sales to drop for days on end with zero sales and then have a couple of days with excellent sales?  This is so bizarre!

I don't understand what's going on with all of these variations in sales.  Not just yearly but day to day.  It seems like the there is a tap that is on for a period of time and then it gets turned off.   Sales are up for a few days and then zero sales.  Is this just happening to me?

This is the worst Holiday season I have ever had on eBay and I would really like to know what the hel is going on..... Customer service asks me if maybe I'm not promoting enough......

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Evening,

Ah the illusion of "PROMOTING".

Based on many many posts this fall, sales are as unpredictable as ever despite throwing money and time at just about anything to get better sales.

Mr C

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

OP, sorry that you are experiencing this and I certainly understand your frustration.

Hope your sales pick up soon.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

My sales have been that way for fourteen years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 64
latest reply

Hi Southern,

I always figured ebay thought you to be SPECIAL!Smiley Very Happy

Mr C

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

Thanks to the multitude of forum posters who have tried "promoted listings" and found the practice to be ineffective; you have saved me time and expense.
Message 6 of 64
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Hi Southern,

I always figured ebay thought you to be SPECIAL!Smiley Very Happy

Mr C

The one thing I can always count on here when selling is absolute sales inconsistency. In that regard Ebay has been quite consistent.

6eb7f3118849fb664ec6fd7cf6fe3c45

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 64
latest reply

Kind of like the market.

Remember that old joke, what will the market do?

It will fluctuate!

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

@ci1000  It all depends on what one is selling and if anyone is buying those items, its not realistic to think every store has steady lines every day all year round ... retail does not work like that nor does online Selling regardless of the platform.  Not sure what you sell but I sincerely hope things turn around for you.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 64
latest reply

It is not just happening to you. There is another thread where sellers have been talking about what you have been experiencing, and it's across the board with all sorts of different items and people who have been on eBay since the beginning (and they are unable to figure it out). There has been a lot of speculation but unfortunately no answers. One thing that has been mentioned many times it that switch that seems to be turned off and on. Wish I could be of better help. Hope your sales get better.
Message 10 of 64
latest reply

Is not only you.. This is happening for some months now and is affecting volume sellers, part time sellers and in general all kind of sellers. And yes is true that it looks like there is some kind of ON-OFF switch. 

Many posts have been writen about this but there is no final conclusion since this has to do probably with an automated algorithm nobody knows.

I guess what will help all of us is ebay traffic to be increased in general. 

As ebay traffic drops those "dead sale" gaps seem to be increased. 

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

I've been noticing these odd "bumps" in sales, just about the same time that my eBay monthly fees are about to come due -- generally near the beginning of the month, and then again around the 15th, as if eBay wants to make sure that I have enough money in my account to pay my fees.

Anybody else have this experience?

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

Could well be the fact that a large number of buyers--really no way to know how many for sure?--have become feed up with the searches-sellers that cancel-out of stock excuses-money tied up waiting for a refund--all the Chinese junk--not getting feedback-possibly being scammed--------no longer find this site fun to shop on.

No telling how many never make it to the comminuity to ask a question--one bad exprience--they are gone.

Many reasons that could be why sales are slow for some sellers--the above i think should be factored in--as to what %--no way to really tell.

Hopefully sellers will see kind of traffic soon as many i know reslly need the funds --Good luck to all !!

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

Lots of posts mention "fluctuations" as an explanation.
If sales come to a dead stop when there's a long standing steady pattern...as many have reported...that's not a fluctuation.
That's an interruption, which statistically shouldn't happen.
Message 14 of 64
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

I've been noticing these odd "bumps" in sales, just about the same time that my eBay monthly fees are about to come due -- generally near the beginning of the month, and then again around the 15th, as if eBay wants to make sure that I have enough money in my account to pay my fees.

Anybody else have this experience?

Yep. Every month. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 15 of 64
latest reply