cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes some Military/Army issue gloves or glove inserts special or sought after?

I'm wondering why some Army/Military issue leather gloves or wool inserts are more sought after than others? I'm selling a pair of Army issue black leather gloves that are lined along with a pair of green wool glove inserts, and they are getting more attention that I would ever have thought. So was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to why they are getting so much attention?

The black leather gloves are by Glovemasters Inc, are lined and on the back of one of the inside tags it has hand written numbers - 0005/35.

The green wool inserts I believe are by Perfect KTG Mills.

These were my husbands old army issue gloves that he never used, (he's now retired from over 20 yrs in). He doesn't remember what year he got them, but they aren't vintage, as my husband is only in his early 50's, so doubt they are very old. I can't seem to find any info online about them. What could be the interest in these gloves? I'm honestly curious and appreciate any information anyone can offer!

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: What makes some Military/Army issue gloves or glove inserts special or sought after?

I'd say quality.

DH still wears his lined M65 field jacket that he was issued in the 80s as his winter coat.

He wore his issued leather gloves for 30 years until they finally wore out a couple years ago.

We went to a surplus store and couldn't find any actual military issue black leather gloves

so he bought the civilian version the surplus store said "was the same as the GI issue".

This is the second winter he's had them.

They've already torn along one seam and worn out.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Re: What makes some Military/Army issue gloves or glove inserts special or sought after?

Just speculating, but if they were made for the US military, they may be excellent quality, and people know that, which drives the demand.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Those gloves are not collectible, actually relatively recent usage, so it is pretty odd they would be bid up that high.   I suspect it is because of the weather over on the Atlantic side and many stores may be sold out of decent gloves.  By the way, those are more of a dress or casual glove and are not the heavy duty D3-A leather gloves issued for field usage.  Being new they are still a solid value at $20.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@2boxers68

And then you have us boys who never grew up.

Every week Chuck Yeager was busting the sound barrier.

The Russians put a dog in space.

But by god we put a monkey in space.

In Boy Scouts we slept in gov't surplus tents,

and had mess kits that said US Army 

Once a Boy Scout, forever a Boy Scout

They are warm gloves... and last a long time...

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Thanks so much for the info! It's hard to find information about them. I know they aren't that old, my husband just doesn't remember when he got them, he's been retired for a few years now.
Can you tell my why they may have written the numbers on the back of the inside tag or anything about the green wool glove liners? Hubby said the wool glove liners with the words stamped on the backs of the hand area are really from the military, whereas if they are stamped any other areas on the gloves they are fakes/duplicates. Are they of any real value or do you think everyone is interested mostly in the leather gloves?
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@2boxers68

A hand written number is more than likley from the person who had them. ( ID )

Military gear for the most part has a standard tag.

But often it is hard to tell the age, 

A 1911 colt 45 is the same as a 2017 colt 1911 more or less.

The tag in my jacket has faded away, but they have a format for the tags.

( lol and no doubt 1500 pages about the tag specs )

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

They are my husbands gloves, and he doesn't know why those numbers are there, the Army issued them to him. I thought maybe a count or something, like it was the 5th set made in a batch of 35 or something like that.
Now I don't know much about guns, though I can say I do have them and I know how to use them 😉 lol
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@2boxers68

@2boxers68 wrote:
They are my husbands gloves, and he doesn't know why those numbers are there, the Army issued them to him. I thought maybe a count or something, like it was the 5th set made in a batch of 35 or something like that.
Now I don't know much about guns, though I can say I do have them and I know how to use them 😉 lol

I would be more inclined to think more at the base level.

Quarter Master gets a batch of gloves, and numbers them.

When he gets down to x number, he reorders. 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Olive drab possibly?

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Many are collectible which can command a higher price but many military items cost far less money but are higher quality than many name brands.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Holy Cannoli, under 3 hours left and with 5 bidders now, up to $23, have 13 watchers & over 200 views, lets see what happens in the next few hours. Never thought some Army gloves (even new) would go for over $20!
You guys have all been awesome giving me ideas as to why so many seem to be interested in these gloves over so many out there.
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

No big huge demand your one bidder bid 5 times which generates alot of look and see what the interest is by category surfers. One bid moves it 50 cents so folks will toss 50 cents at a item...

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@2boxers68 wrote:
have 13 watchers & over 200 views,

That could be from this thread and not related to buyers at all.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

The wool inserts have been around since WWII. Both military and commercial reproductions have the size info stamped on the palms. The military issue inserts, if they even use them these days, are of a tighter weave and thicker wool than the commercial ones.  The inserts are designed to be worn on either hand. They sell new for around $6 at any surplus store.  Those same leather driving gloves go begging at $10 at most surplus stores.  I know because I owned a surplus store for decades.  I am gobsmacked that the gloves I could not give away at $10 are selling herer for over $20.  But then again, in the surplus business one of the key adages is that you can't buy too high, but you can buy too soon.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

They sold for $23! Yay, I'm just glad they sold, I started them off at $12.99 thinking "I hope that isn't too high".
Thanks everyone, I enjoyed all the replies, it's always fun to learn something new and glad you are all here to give a helping hand!
Message 30 of 32
latest reply