cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "$guidance$ for 9 listings" mean under selling reminders on selling page of My ebay?

This is under my selling reminders on my active selling page of my ebay.
When I click on the "9 listing" it takes me to my summary page & gives me no idea as to what listings they are referring to in any way.
Has anyone else ever gotten this message or have any idea what it might mean?

Thanks.

Garage sales are for people who are too neat freakish to go dumpster diving.. 😉
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: What does "$guidance$ for 9 listings" mean under selling reminders on selling page of

I myself have asked this same Question 3 hours ago, but never got an answer from my fellow members. I would hate to think that eBay wants to "guidance" me, and have no clue what's up with the $$ signs. Hope we both get an answer soon, Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Re: What does "$guidance$ for 9 listings" mean under selling reminders on selling page of

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

I myself have asked this same Question 3 hours ago, but never got an answer from my fellow members. I would hate to think that eBay wants to "guidance" me, and have no clue what's up with the $$ signs. Hope we both get an answer soon, Good Luck to you.

I can offer maybe half an answer here. It appears to be a botched piece of programming script, where the odd-looking "$guidance$" is a placeholder, intended to be replaced by one of several possible phrases to be plugged in there as part of the message to the recipient. 

Exactly what was supposed to be swapped in there, I don't know, but it would depend on what sort of "guidance" they thought those 9 listings needed. Possible phrases like "Price should be lowered" or "More photos should be added" could have been used, and so the recipient would have seen either "Price should be lowered for 9 listings" or "More photos should be added for 9 listings" respectively... but the script failed to do the text replacements properly, so you ended up seeing the placeholder instead of the message.

This is the sort of thing that's supposed to be caught in testing before the code is put into Production use, but nothing seems to get tested properly beforehand on this site.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I agree that ebay has no clue as to what it really takes to sell items on their site 99.5% of the time. Smiley Frustrated

So this is likely another glitch that will probably never be acknowledged or explained.  Smiley Wink

Thank you for your reply.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It is sure aggravating! I have the same thing. Hope ebay will explain what it means. Usually I can click on it to fix listings. This time it's no go.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

The truly weird part of this is that the number, which right now is 46, seems to change at times without any items being listed or sold.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I think it is supposed to say items expiring. It is the only selling reminders I ever get for buy now items. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

a_c_green wrote: 

Exactly what was supposed to be swapped in there, I don't know, but it would depend on what sort of "guidance" they thought those 9 listings needed. Possible phrases like "Price should be lowered" or "More photos should be added" could have been used, and so the recipient would have seen either "Price should be lowered for 9 listings" or "More photos should be added for 9 listings" respectively... but the script failed to do the text replacements properly, so you ended up seeing the placeholder instead of the message.

This is the sort of thing that's supposed to be caught in testing before the code is put into Production use, but nothing seems to get tested properly beforehand on this site.

I don't think the "guidance" reference has anything to do with providing some helpful selling tips.   When I look at the offending $$ string on my account, there's a "2" in parentheses.  When I click on the $$ string it takes my to my eBay.  On that page I happen to have two items on my Watch List the listings for which expire in the next 24 hours.   I think that's what the current gibberish is supposed to say -- "'X' Items on Your Watch List Are Selling Soon."   God knows why greenhorn programming stuff gets through but it seems to all the time, unfortunately.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I don't think the "guidance" reference has anything to do with providing some helpful selling tips.   When I look at the offending $$ string on my account, there's a "2" in parentheses.  When I click on the $$ string it takes my to my eBay.  On that page I happen to have two items on my Watch List the listings for which expire in the next 24 hours.   I think that's what the current gibberish is supposed to say -- "'X' Items on Your Watch List Are Selling Soon."   God knows why greenhorn programming stuff gets through but it seems to all the time, unfortunately.

My number now is 49 & gotten as high as 56 the other day. Right now I have 3 items on my watch list & for many days I was watching 0 items. So I do not think this is the answer either. 

I think it is may be the number of listings that ebay is actually making available each day. For me that would be 49 out of 192, that sounds about right.  Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

One of the 'blues' will probably be along 'soon' to explain it all.  Or, maybe, shortly after that.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

It's disappointing that eBay has not addressed this. Sellers must not be that important to them.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@whirlruss wrote:

It's disappointing that eBay has not addressed this. Sellers must not be that important to them.

Shhhhhhhhh!  Don't you know?  (looking over each shoulder)  They aren't!  There are PLENTY of sellers out there to replace each that may leave - that's what ebay would tell you, but it's a secret!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!  (fading back into the shadows)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

It's good to know I'm not alone!  It showed up for me today for 3 listings.  From all the replies below, this is happening a lot, and eBay's bots don't have an answer.  If you've got nothing to do for a half-hour or more you could call them and wait on hold for a human to answer.  Pay no attention to the "1 minute wait time".

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

My best guess is it's the number of your listings with the ever so insightful & helpful (not) eBay selling tips attached. - ie $ "guidance"

these are worth nothing as on every single auction I'm running their ONLY advice is to lower the start price to .99 LMAO

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I have a similar question - though I've never had the "guidance" message. Under the bell icon - watch reminders beside My eBay, I get reminders for things that I took off my watch list 9-10 months ago! They are NOT in my watch list active or ended listings. I'm so tired of seeing these things that are no longer pertinent to my shopping! Any ideas why this happens, and how I get rid of them? Is there a place for deleted watch items I'm not aware of? Thanks!

Message 15 of 20
latest reply