cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do when USPS loses my item?

I resell products which I purchase with my own money exclusively available from a grocery chain in my area and ship them to areas where they are not sold. Recently, three orders of mine (including shipping: $13.99, $41.99, $48) never arrived according to the buyers and their tracking information. I shipped them Early to Mid December and there isn't any updated tracking information from several weeks. 

One buyer opened a case and got a refund which meant that I lost the money from my own pocket because I bought the item and sold it on a narrow margin. The other two buyers haven't responded to my messages.

What should I do? I don't want to lose almost $100 due to USPS error but the buyers also deserve refunds for the same reason. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I filed three USPS claims today but I do not know if they will be successful because they were through USPS ground advantage which I don't think is insured. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Ground Advantage includes up to $100 insurance at no charge.  Insurance above $100 costs extra.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@stopthene_70 wrote:

What should I do? I don't want to lose almost $100 due to USPS error but the buyers also deserve refunds for the same reason. 

If tracking shows that the packages disappeared en route and have had no new scans for at least 15 days ( for most Shipping methods, if I remember right), you can file a missing mail claim for reimbursement up to $100 (plus postage) for Ground Advantage or Priority Mail with USPS.

Ref: https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm 

You are responsible for refunding your buyers for a lost shipment. You then file a claim with USPS so that they refund you. (A missing mail claim is a lot easier to prove to USPS than a damage claim, because their own tracking will show that it was on the way and then apparently was lost.)

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Are you uploading the tracking number after you ship? Buying shipping label through eBay will automatically upload. 

Are you getting a printed receipt at your USPS to show they now have it in their possession or just dropping at counter / drop box and walking away or scheduling USPS pick up at your place? 

Just seems odd that you're having trouble with tracking information. Are these packages going out of country? That could be another scenario. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

If the packages were mailed within the 48 contiguous states, they should have arrived by now and you can file an insurance claim. As noted in the other post, Ground Advantage is insured up to $100, same as Priority.

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I would take the tracking numbers to a post office and ask a clerk what happened to them.

If you used an eBay shipping label and just left them at the counter...well, did they get scanned?

Do you have a receipt of paying for postage for packages at post office or a receipt for them being scanned?

Just because a buyer states buyer didn't received item and it has tracking doesn't mean it is lost.

And that one buyer who opened a claim and you didn't input the tracking number...that could be why buyer got refunded.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

And that one buyer who opened a claim and you didn't input the tracking number...that could be why buyer got refunded.

??? 

I don't see where the OP said that.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

It's an assumption. Here it a lot here from previous people.

My bad!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Ground Advantage insures packages for up to $100.00

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

This is where you get in touch with your local postmaster and ask them to research the tracking numbers, they can see a lot more than you can online, and may be able to help depending on what they find.  You may also start filing missing package reports to get usps to start looking for them in the last places they were recorded being in the mail system.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

i have the tracking information and so does the buyer. the package just hasn't arrived after the weeks and there is no updates in 14 days

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

yeah i did everything correctly. i handed the packages off, received a receipt. the tracking was uploaded to the buyers. it was scanned and moved to other facilities but nothing has been updated in 14 days

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

'uploaded to the buyers', but did you also add the tracking # to the sale on ebay?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

It sounds like you contacted 2 buyers because you noticed on the tracking their items didn't arrive but you didn't hear anything from the buyers. That is not a great idea to poke the bear. It's possible that they actually did get their items but USPS failed to update the tracking showing that. Someone who's dishonest could use that as an opportunity to try to get their money back even if they have the item. You don't need to be babysitting the tracking numbers and wasting your time checking on them unless someone sends you a message telling you they haven't received something. 

I have successfully been paid twice by USPS for lost Ground Advantage packages. It's pretty simple and I'm sure you'll get a check in the mail eventually for the cost of your item and the cost you paid for the label.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply