cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird ? eBay sold my item for the opening bid amount.

I listed an item to go to auction for 130.00 or buy it now for 190.00

Someone placed an opening bid and for some reason eBay sold it to them for that opening price. 

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Weird ? eBay sold my item for the opening bid amount.

If there was only one bid, what else could eBay do except pay for it at the opening bid amount?

Still don't understand why it sold within minutes of listing.

And you have not answered this question:  Did you have two of these or just one? 

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

Yes, there was only one bid a couple of hours after listing. What eBay should have done is let the 7 day auction play out, not just sell it for the one and only opening bid.

This is the only listing for today, but sold similar listings recently. 

I just went and had a close look at the listing.  I did have the reserve price set to "on" but there was no reserve amount. 

What am I missing here ??

selling.jpg

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

@georgei3126 wrote:

Yes, there was only one bid a couple of hours after listing. What eBay should have done is let the 7 day auction play out, not just sell it for the one and only opening bid.

This is the only listing for today, but sold similar listings recently. 

I just went and had a close look at the listing.  I did have the reserve price set to "on" but there was no reserve amount. 

What am I missing here ??

I can't tell from your screenshot, but did you have the Make Offer option set? I'm wondering if somehow there was a Make Offer with an auto-accept of $130 on it, which would have ended the auction as soon as someone offered that price. Beyond that, I have no other ideas...

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

@georgei3126 wrote:

I listed an item to go to auction for 130.00 or buy it now for 190.00

Someone placed an opening bid and for some reason eBay sold it to them for that opening price. 

The listing says that you the seller ended the listing early, when you end an Auction that has bids the then current high bidder is the winner.

slippinjimmy_0-1676928434521.png

If you wanted to end the Auction without selling it you would have to cancel any bids first.

Question is, did you end the listing early and if so why?

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

I don't see any setting for being able to make offers. So, no it did not have that option.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

As was pointed out, when you ended the listing early, the one bid for $130 won.You didnt cancel the bid before you ended the listing.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 21 of 38
latest reply

No, I did not cancel the bid, or end the auction early. 

The only action I took was canceling the order after he was able to pay for the item at the opening bid amount.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

This listing was ended by the seller because the item was sold.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Stoppers and Spoons

See original listing
Chinese Snuff Bottle Stoppers and Spoons
Item Sold

Condition:
--

Ended:
Feb 20, 2023 , 2:00PM

Winning bid:
US $130.00
1 bid ]

Shipping:
$20.00 Expedited Shipping

Located in:
Airway Heights, Washington, United States

Seller:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 23 of 38
latest reply

You opened at $130.

Someone bid.

You cannot see his maximum bid

No one else bid.

The item sold for the opening bid.

The bid might have been $190 or $250, but without an underbidder it sold to the one and only bidder for the opening.

But that screenshot does not show it SOLD only that there is a bid.

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Well then, the question becomes: Who did end the listing, thus selling the item, within two minutes after that bid was placed? Anything is possible in the world of eBay glitches.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Sorry, but just does not make sense to me.

It should not matter how much he bid, the auction should have played out for the 7 days. 

He should not have been able to just pay for it after placing an opening bid. 

bid.jpg

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

So the one sold yesterday for $190 is the same one sold today for $130?

Did you forget to cancel the sold one from yesterday? But how could you cancel because buyers have at least 4 days to pay.

The more you post, the more confused I have become.  I think I am done here and will let others figure out this muddle.  

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Hey @georgei3126 - I think you should report this to customer service. If you go to the US-based reps on social media they'll probably understand better than overseas reps that will just tell you you ended the listing (which you've already confirmed you did not do).

Go to eBay for Business on FB or AskeBay on Twitter and let them know by sending a DM.

What reason did you select when cancelling the order? If nothing else you want to make sure you don't get a defect for that due to whatever system issue caused the listing to end prematurely.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote: ...

But that screenshot does not show it SOLD only that there is a bid.

Any time a seller ends an auction early without canceling all the bids, it is automatically sold to the highest (or only) bidder. The listing shows up in the list of the seller's Sold items:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=255986062487&hash=item3b99f55497%3Ag%3At5QAAOSw7Jhj827G&rt=nc&_...

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

There are some interesting differences between your view of the bid history, versus the one I see which says "Winning bid" not "Current bid":

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 4.52.50 PM.png

Message 30 of 38
latest reply