cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are testing a reduced set of item specifics in the listing flow

We’ve heard from our sellers that item specifics is one of the most complex parts of our listing experience. 

As a part of simplifying the listing flow, we are testing a reduced set of item specifics, optimized for the selling and buying experience. As a result, in select categories, some sellers may see fewer item specifics to fill out when creating a new listing on web or mobile. We’re actively monitoring performance and taking seller feedback into consideration.    

We’re constantly evaluating how to make listing on eBay easier and will keep you informed about any site-wide listing changes. Feel free to leave feedback in a comment below or via our survey during the listing process.  

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

Update as of 10/16/23:

Thank you to all sellers who shared their feedback. We have listened to your concerns and ended the test. We will continue to work on improving item specifics and keep the community informed of any site-wide changes.

The full list of item specifics will automatically reflect on your account for future listings. If you wish to add more item specifics to your previously published listings, the full list of item specifics is available when you revise your listing.

Message 1 of 216
latest reply
215 REPLIES 215

Re: We are testing a reduced set of item specifics in the listing flow

Yes, I noticed that. So I put the relevant info in the item description.  Then I used the new AI tool to write my description, then I pasted my salutation to the end.

Id there a way to use AI with out loosing my salutation?

Message 151 of 216
latest reply

I find that the available Item Specifics inconsistent. Some times they are there and some times they are not. I have developed work arounds to make sure all the important info is there. Some times you just got to do it. It is your bottom line you are protecting.

Message 152 of 216
latest reply

I mostly sell clothing and I like the simplified version.  The buyer can look at the item and know whether it has a collar or type of sleeve.  If you put "blue" in the title it added the cartoon character Blues Clues.  Some of the questions are redundant and some just plain stupid.  I have no idea how the buyer is built so how would I know if something would be a regular fit, loose fit, tight fit (who knows).  I wish ebay would add the armpit to armpit measurement and sleeve inseam measurement.  If something is not covered in the item specifics, I can add it to the description.  Now if ebay would figure out a way for a buyer to bundle several items and ask for one total, I would be happy.

Message 153 of 216
latest reply

I am using several templates and I do not have any problems with my items specifics being stable.

The only problem we are talking about is when eBay removed some item specifics options during the test. All is back to normal for me.

Message 154 of 216
latest reply

@vivabe wrote:

I am using several templates and I do not have any problems with my items specifics being stable.

The only problem we are talking about is when eBay removed some item specifics options during the test. All is back to normal for me.

they are back to normal for everyone now, since they restored them 2 days ago. This discussion was about when they were removed. An unnecessary action on their part for a "test" that should have only affected listings that were created from scratch not sellers templates.  As ltldpr mentioned, which has been issues for quite sometime now, not just from this test, listing from templates often results in no views and not being able to find listing on search results. This is direct result of their hacked indexing delayed time that has been going on for a year now and it's all random if your listing shows on search or not. Using "Sell Similar" feature seems to index faster, why idk, but the result @ltldpr mentioned between the two I have noticed before, just became more apparent during the past week with the test. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 155 of 216
latest reply

Hmmm,

Is the test in the coin category complete? It seems that yesterday all the missing specifics returned. LOL!

Message 156 of 216
latest reply

OK, on 10/5 ebay was nice enough to tell 'us' that they had been messing with ... I mean running a test with the IS stuff since ... they started doing it. 

Next day poster #76 is the first to mention the template were also messed with ... I mean were part of the test.

The reason that the 'team' didn't mention that the template would be affected was because they didn't know about templates - not their department. Probably most of them though that templates were a brand of disposable plates.

The reason that the 'team' didn't mention that the IS that were removed would be caught by the quick fillers bots was because they didn't know that the bots didn't know about any test, and 'though' they were just left blank  - again not their department.

On 10/10 [post 127] a pink ... I mean blue was nice enough to stop by and tell 'us' that "We have made sure to have all of the feedback and questions shared in this thread shared with the product team that is over seeing this"

Sounds like the selling team had no idea that the notice was posted on a page that people could respond to it, so never though to come back and check. Sounds like they had to be told. Sounds like they though they was posting an announcement.

Next day [10/11] the selling team came back - and since they have no idea how ebay 'help' works, they actually gave real answers to some of the questions [I hope they don't get in trouble for doing that]  AND the last answer about the 'item specifics visible in “revise listing" actually made sense - most sellers seem to want some of what was removed/hidden and so they could use that function to put them back in.

No mention about the template. No mention that they, or somebody, were going to fix that little oops.

On 10/13 someone said the templates were still messed up. Next day someone said they were fixed.

As we only do sell similar from our own listings - last created from scrape listing was made the day before sell similar was introduced - we would have never know about this magilla if we didn't kill time coming here.

Message 157 of 216
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

The reason that the 'team' didn't mention that the template would be affected was because they didn't know about templates - not their department. Probably most of them though that templates were a brand of disposable plates.

Ha! Good one... 😂

@steve_stuff wrote:

Sounds like the selling team had no idea that the notice was posted on a page that people could respond to it, so never though to come back and check. Sounds like they had to be told. Sounds like they though they was posting an announcement.

I think this whole fiasco has been a learning process for them. People would ping the selling_team@ebay account with questions - but if they only use that account login to post an announcement and then never log in to it again then they do not notice that there have been responses because the notifications do not reach them.

A secondary problem is that they seem to be powerfully hamstrung in what they can actually SAY. Thus we see longwinded non-answers instead of simply answering the questions that have been asked in a straightforward manner.

Message 158 of 216
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

OK, on 10/5 ebay was nice enough to tell 'us' that they had been messing with ... I mean running a test with the IS stuff since ... they started doing it. 

Next day poster #76 is the first to mention the template were also messed with ... I mean were part of the test.

That was me, and surprised that was first mention, should have been mentioned on the very first reply as most of the responses are from longtime sellers who surely use Templates. 

@steve_stuff wrote:

The reason that the 'team' didn't mention that the IS that were removed would be caught by the quick fillers bots was because they didn't know that the bots didn't know about any test, and 'though' they were just left blank  - again not their department.

Wrong. The selling team didn't know about templates - not their department? All that is wrong. They were fully aware what the test would affect because they instruct and work with tech to make those tests happen. There is no department for templates, listing IS, it's all connected and selling team is fully aware of what they do, how many listed on listing creation, how many are designated as Mandatory and how many are designated as Recommended. As said in earlier post. The thing about the bots, 😆, idk where you came up with that bit but I had nice chuckle. 

@steve_stuff wrote:

On 10/10 [post 127] a pink ... I mean blue was nice enough to stop by and tell 'us' that "We have made sure to have all of the feedback and questions shared in this thread shared with the product team that is over seeing this"

uh-huh - notice the word shared - in any case, in most likeliness, that would be, except that the OP was made by the team your saying wasn't aware of the post... doesn't make much sense now does it? 

@steve_stuff wrote:

Next day [10/11] the selling team came back - and since they have no idea how ebay 'help' works, they actually gave real answers to some of the questions [I hope they don't get in trouble for doing that]  AND the last answer about the 'item specifics visible in “revise listing" actually made sense - most sellers seem to want some of what was removed/hidden and so they could use that function to put them back in.

No mention about the template. No mention that they, or somebody, were going to fix that little oops.

On 10/13 someone said the templates were still messed up. Next day someone said they were fixed.

As we only do sell similar from our own listings - last created from scrape listing was made the day before sell similar was introduced - we would have never know about this magilla if we didn't kill time coming here.

I seriously doubt that selling team or any other team have no idea on how ebay "help" works. Why on earth would you even think that? But what "real answers" were given? 

The point you have missed: It's not that they removed a ton of specifics for a test, no one gives 2 flights about their tests, they occur all the time on the site one way or another but one team or another. The bullet people have with the test is that they affected Templates and not just new listing creation. Templates should never be touched. They are made by the sellers in order to make listing extremely fast. Thus any IS in those templates, or anything else seller has in those templates other wise should never be touched, they are there for a reason, even IS. Because they tinkered with Templates, made listing things as seller intends them to be listed a bit of hassle and huge work around, which results in wasted time. 

The Templates were restored yesterday (possible some were restored earlier, but for me and many others they seem to be restored yesterday) - that includes not just US site, apparently they made this "test" in UK and likely other sites also. 

There are sellers who list via Templates, and there are sellers who list via "Sell Similar" feature, there are sellers who upload listings also. If you only list via upload or Sell Similar would have never known about this test. 

Message 159 of 216
latest reply

OK, we understand what you're saying about the templates -don't use but agree should have been left out of test.

Just so we have this straight are the following correct -

Before test a new from scratch listing might have ten IS, during test just five and - important part - no 'see more' link. 

And because a template is a set form, it may of had a see more, but it went away after it was saved the first time.

as sellers can add their own IS , and would most likely just add back [if they still can] any that ebay removed

Message 160 of 216
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

OK, we understand what you're saying about the templates -don't use but agree should have been left out of test.

Just so we have this straight are the following correct -

Before test a new from scratch listing might have ten IS, during test just five and - important part - no 'see more' link. 

And because a template is a set form, it may of had a see more, but it went away after it was saved the first time.

as sellers can add their own IS , and would most likely just add back [if they still can] any that ebay removed

depends on category, but music, vinyl they removed all but 4, something like 8 or 9 missing that always have filled out, even though they were not mandatory specifics, they help identify the edition much better so always include them with my listings. Music is a bit different when comes to specifics, not as complex as say clothing category can be, but there is still quite a few that should be filled out...if want buyers to know exactly what they are getting anyways. There are sellers who don't fill out anything, at all, and then don't put anything in the description either and use stock image of the cover only...not very informative for titles that have been repressed 200 times by 10 different labels. 

Message 161 of 216
latest reply

I'm laughing because we're a real 'wood and stucco' record store that has existed in three different states and eleven building since first open in 1973. Sad to say but I know things like the difference between SD33-200 and SD-200A, or that Carol King was on the first 'city' lp but had left .... forget about who the other people were.

Come in the store and the boss will talk your ear off about how he loves the ebay sellers who don't check '45' or '33' when they list a copy of Hey Jude.  And the photo of the 'rvg' but no mention. I loved the 'jazz record album' listing title with a willie nelson record as photo that came up when I search 'willie and the wheels' - have a sloan buyer

Message 162 of 216
latest reply

I was replying to post above me from  sarahsstudio315

Message 163 of 216
latest reply

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We have listened to your concerns and ended the test. We will continue to work on improving item specifics and keep the community informed of any site-wide changes.

The full list of item specifics will automatically reflect on your account for future listings. If you wish to add more item specifics to your previously published listings, the full list of item specifics is available when you revise your listing.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Message 164 of 216
latest reply

selling_team@ebay wrote:

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We have listened to your concerns and ended the test. We will continue to work on improving item specifics and keep the community informed of any site-wide changes.

Thank you selling_team@ebay . I hope keeping us informed of site-wide changes includes tests that may affect only limited categories as we saw with this last test.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 165 of 216
latest reply