cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are testing a reduced set of item specifics in the listing flow

We’ve heard from our sellers that item specifics is one of the most complex parts of our listing experience. 

As a part of simplifying the listing flow, we are testing a reduced set of item specifics, optimized for the selling and buying experience. As a result, in select categories, some sellers may see fewer item specifics to fill out when creating a new listing on web or mobile. We’re actively monitoring performance and taking seller feedback into consideration.    

We’re constantly evaluating how to make listing on eBay easier and will keep you informed about any site-wide listing changes. Feel free to leave feedback in a comment below or via our survey during the listing process.  

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

Update as of 10/16/23:

Thank you to all sellers who shared their feedback. We have listened to your concerns and ended the test. We will continue to work on improving item specifics and keep the community informed of any site-wide changes.

The full list of item specifics will automatically reflect on your account for future listings. If you wish to add more item specifics to your previously published listings, the full list of item specifics is available when you revise your listing.

Message 1 of 216
latest reply
215 REPLIES 215

Re: We are testing a reduced set of item specifics in the listing flow

@dhbookds wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

selling_team@ebay 

[...]

I CHALLENGE you to do this right this time.  Choose a  sub category......choose 5/6 sellers......present the before and after IS and ask them to critique with explanations.   Just TRY it ONCE......just once....and see if it isn't a lot faster with a lot less hassle to everyone. 

Along those same lines, selling_team@ebay, I have a kind of meta-comment on this thread:

Over the past few days in this thread, you have been asked some pretty clear and straightforward questions (e.g. Which are the "select categories" in which you are testing?), but you have posted no replies whatsoever.

Reading replies here is not as productive as having actual dialogue with your users, and this is a discussion forum, not a post-and-run announcement board. I know it's the weekend now, but on Monday, please come back and allocate some time to actually conversing with the members here. The results will be more useful to you.

It would be nice if they would........but frankly, I think there is a block at a certain level at which ebay are prohibited from interaction with sellers......  I'd try to call in an exec to discuss this......but I can't figure out which one would be in charge.......

@dhbookds I'd say VP Seller Experience Xiaodi Zhang would be the most appropriate person to address these issues since of course both the listing flow and the lack of interaction directly impact the seller experience.

Unfortunately, she doesn't engage with sellers here directly, so my next best suggestion would be  brian_burke@ebay  who as senior director of seller advocacy and engagement should at least be able to address the "post and run" concerns.

Message 91 of 216
latest reply

This is not good in the books or photographs/postcards (collectibles) categories. I needed to somehow indicate to potential buyers the era my items were from and was unable to do so with the missing year/era specifics.

Message 92 of 216
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

I'd say VP Seller Experience Xiaodi Zhang would be the most appropriate person to address these issues since of course both the listing flow and the lack of interaction directly impact the seller experience.

Unfortunately, she doesn't engage with sellers here directly, so my next best suggestion would be  brian_burke@ebay  who as senior director of seller advocacy and engagement should at least be able to address the "post and run" concerns.

I looked at her, but couldn't really tell if she would be ultimately responsible for the "product" of the team....that's who "should" have the most interest since it would ultimately reflect on him/her.   I had some good response in the Ground Advantage debacle from the guy in charge who didn't seem to even know at first that there were problems....at least from his emails. 

I have ultimate respect for brian_burke@ebay and maybe he can help.........but the problem, I think, is that the selling_team@ebay can do nothing except what is presently scripted...

Message 93 of 216
latest reply

@dhbookds if you're looking for more "product" oriented folks, Chief Product Officer Eddie Garcia would be the top dog or VP Core Product Engineering Mark Weinberg would also be a good bet.

Message 94 of 216
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@dhbookds if you're looking for more "product" oriented folks, Chief Product Officer Eddie Garcia would be the top dog or VP Core Product Engineering Mark Weinberg would also be a good bet.

@dhbookds sorry, outdated info, Mark Weinberg is no longer with the company.

VP Seller Experience Engineering Bryan Woodruff is probably who could be most helpful now - he also engaged a bit in the discussion on the AI description tool.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ChatGPT-AI-Description-Generator-Now-Available-In-eBay-App/m-p... 

bryan@ebay 

Message 95 of 216
latest reply

@valueaddedresource   thanks ........maybe that bryan will help or at least look and get us to someone who might help think this thing thru.......

I just spent an hr trying to find email addresses and can't find any.  Just can't, this time of year, devote as much time as I'd like........4th q is a bad time..........especially as I doubt there is much use in it.

Message 96 of 216
latest reply

all that is great @valueaddedresource but the point remains that their little changes for "testing" has fouled up things more then they likely realize. All goes beyond the point that for 2 years straight they hounded sellers about Item Specifics and changed the listing tool 4-5x. Sellers had to endure all those changes and revise templates and listings multiple times in the process. Now they say "We’ve heard from our sellers that item specifics is one of the most complex parts of our listing experience. " 

That simply isn't true. Sellers have been telling Ebay this for YEARS but did they listen, ever? NO, now they decide it's too much...maybe they read a few emails from several years ago finally? In the act however they have butchered the important specifics and made it a huge task to get the deleted ones that need to be there filled out. I now create listings not from Template, but from "Sell Similar" just to have all the needed specifics there without having to create then click the link for missing specifics. 

On top of all that, it's not complex if you have Templates, that's the whole point of Templates, to have stuff prefilled out and faster listing. Is it majority of sellers on ebay fault who use Templates that some who can't take a few min to create one complain that listing creation is to "complex"? Of course it isn't. 

This test would have been fine if they didn't affect sellers templates only create listings from scratch. Now we'll have to go and update out Templates once they fix this crud (hopefully). 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 97 of 216
latest reply

This has been a big listing problem from the start. Every time I have to add or adjust I leave negative feedback about this. Ebay has gone from a 10 to a 5 in my eyes as for recommending anyone to sell here. Searches have brought up over 50% non items I am looking for so they are now down to a 3 rating over all. The big problem with item specifics is not how may but which one they list as REQUIRED and that causes the big listing issues..

Message 98 of 216
latest reply

I feel your pain. I sell dinnerware and ITEM SPECIFICS default is ART POTTERY. When I list a large set of dinnerware as items, all IS change for all listing because Ebay has KEY IS as plate or bowl or cup (not cup and saucer) where it should be Maker or Brand, sup IS should  be plate, bowl etc. 

I did a search for Art Pottery under the dinnerware/cookware IS and sell through rate was 1.7%

But if I changed the "art pottery" to "dinnerware" and did the search the sell through rate was 7.8%

A good example why the IS as KEY RATED wrong. 

Message 99 of 216
latest reply

I also wonder if this little "test" is what has screwed up the synching between ebay and Bonanza of MV listings. They all now appear on Bonanza as single item listings with no drop down menu to enable selections.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 100 of 216
latest reply

@mightymouse wrote:

This has been a big listing problem from the start. Every time I have to add or adjust I leave negative feedback about this. Ebay has gone from a 10 to a 5 in my eyes as for recommending anyone to sell here. Searches have brought up over 50% non items I am looking for so they are now down to a 3 rating over all. The big problem with item specifics is not how may but which one they list as REQUIRED and that causes the big listing issues..

I've been actively discouraging people from selling on eBay.  The on-ramp has gotten too steep and slippery for new sellers.   Between the chargeback protections (laugh here)  and eBay's own foul-ups I tell them to try elsewhere first.    And to stay out of electronics and fine jewelry no matter what.  Both are fraud magnets if you're a new seller. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 101 of 216
latest reply

Then there's the ebay 'way' of allowing new sellers to list expensive NIB stuff then slapping them with held payouts and 'reviews".

Would seem fairer to make them enrol for M first before being able to list (much as they do to Payoneer clients) rather than let them sell THEN hold their payouts.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 102 of 216
latest reply

You can create the era by using

+ add custom item specifics

In first window to type: Era

In second window you type: chrome, divided back, etc.

Its no big deal if you have only one listing but if you have several, then use Sell Similar once you have created a listing with all options you need. Just update for the new listing.

Not fun but better than nothing.

Message 103 of 216
latest reply

In the map category they removed the maker/cartographer specific which is not very smart and date range and city.  

Message 104 of 216
latest reply

How about having some of the older generation working there who have a little more experience then some fresh out of college with no experience but only good at creating apps?

Message 105 of 216
latest reply