cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY DID EBAY TURN AUTO-PAY BACK ON???????

I just got a message from a Buyer that they noticed Auto-pay was turned on late last night when they tried to bid on one of my auctions ...  WHAT????? I turned that OFF the day it was added to my account.  I just checked and sure enough, eBay turned it back ON for both Auctions and the Offer flow ... has anyone else noticed EBAY CHANGING THEIR SETTINGS on them????  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

All.the.freaking.time.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

I just got the message when I bid on an item, but I don't know if the seller wanted it on or if ebay did it to everyone.

I've never gotten that message before.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

I just got the message when I bid on an item, but I don't know if the seller wanted it on or if ebay did it to everyone.

I've never gotten that message before.

@carlqsportscards   eBay does NOT tell Sellers when they roll it into their account.  I turned it OFF the first day I noticed it was added to my account and the default is set to ON for both Auctions and the Offer flow.  

And to your point, NO Sellers do not know it has been added ... 

Regards,
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

has anyone else noticed EBAY CHANGING THEIR SETTINGS on them????  

@mr_lincoln 

Yes, it has been reported by others.  At first,  I was thinking that they just forgot to click the "submit" button at the bottom of the page when changing the eBay awarded DEFAULT SET TO YES to no.   But perhaps not. 

Historically speaking, eBay has had other occasions where preferences were changed on seller's accounts without notice as well.  When I sold here I know for certain I had to "opt out" of the GSP, for example,  more than three times.   It is always a good idea to check your buyer requirements as well as other pages often. 

Sellers who do not wish to encourage multiple sales to the same buyer or provided a combined shipping invoice/discount can keep them in place.  eBay probably won't turn them "off" to help increase your sales...LOL. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

has anyone else noticed EBAY CHANGING THEIR SETTINGS on them????  

@mr_lincoln 

Yes, it has been reported by others.  At first,  I was thinking that they just forgot to click the "submit" button at the bottom of the page when changing the eBay awarded DEFAULT SET TO YES to no.   But perhaps not. 

Historically speaking, eBay has had other occasions where preferences were changed on seller's accounts without notice as well.  When I sold here I know for certain I had to "opt out" of the GSP, for example,  more than three times.   It is always a good idea to check your buyer requirements as well as other pages often. 

Sellers who do not wish to encourage multiple sales to the same buyer or provided a combined shipping invoice/discount can keep them in place.  eBay probably won't turn them "off" to help increase your sales...LOL. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

@ittybitnot   Thanks for the reply but I turned those two settings OFF the day I learned they were added to my account and that was a while ago.  And yes, I know eBay turns ON certain features or functions at times that I cannot explain ... like Offers preselected to ON in my Templates (like out of the blue) when I never use the Best offer process.  I noticed THAT one when all of a sudden Buyers started sending me offers, errnt.

The same has happened for Free Shipping ... which I have only ever used on a very very very very rare occasion.  We're not talking a newly created listings or Sell Similars either, we are talking Templates that I set up from scratch a while ago.  

Regards,
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

I don't know if the seller wanted it on or if ebay did it to everyone.

@carlqsportscards 

eBay "Auto Enrolled" all accounts (sellers) to require buyers to submit a payment source in order to make offers or bid.   It didn't have any affect until eBay forced the BUYER ID into the program.  

Now all BUYER IDs are forced to pony up a payment source to make an offer, while more and more BUYER IDs continue to be auto enrolled now in order to make a bid.  Buyers are not happy with this, as it limits their choices for payment, AND disallows combined shipping for one price.  

Again, once a seller  changes the preferences to NO, the "forced buyer"  will not be required to comply in order to proceed to make offers or bid.  Unless, of course, eBay decides to take it upon themselves to change the seller's selection back to the default. 

Since you use both auctions and BIN/Best Offer it is a good idea to check yours from time to time. 

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

but I turned those two settings OFF the day....

@mr_lincoln 

I don't doubt a word you said, and hope did not infer that I didn't believe you.   Sellers have mentioned other ones as well not even on your list.  Beware of lists in the hub that are "Options" dropdowns that you might never peruse is what I am hearing in other ecommerce discussion groups. 

Since my ID is in the forced compliance "New smoother checkout" apparently for my convenience as a buyer,  I distinctly remember checking yours a while back, and it was definitely set to OFF. 

Sorry for any misunderstanding. 

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

I turned mine off sometime back, don't remember exactly when and I just checked it and it is still turned off. I have been wondering whether, after the pilot/test phase is complete, if sellers will still have the option to disable this. So far no answer to that question. 

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

if sellers will still have the option to disable this.

@dbfolks166mt 

At this point they do.  That is provided they know that they even have them.  Lots of buyers complaining,  but you would be surprised how many of those 'complainers' that buy and sell on the same ID don't even know they are requiring their own buyer customers to participate in the very same program they despise.  This ID is forced to comply before proceeding to bid or make an offer so it is easy to make a quick check.   

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

but I turned those two settings OFF the day....

@mr_lincoln 

I don't doubt a word you said, and hope did not infer that I didn't believe you.   Sellers have mentioned other ones as well not even on your list.  Beware of lists in the hub that are "Options" dropdowns that you might never peruse is what I am hearing in other ecommerce discussion groups. 

Since my ID is in the forced compliance "New smoother checkout" apparently for my convenience as a buyer,  I distinctly remember checking yours a while back, and it was definitely set to OFF. 

Sorry for any misunderstanding. 

@ittybitnot   Thank you but no misunderstanding on my end ... just ticked at eBay for messing with my settings and messing up a potential MULTIPLE sale last night.  Buyer confirmed it happened late last night when I had quite a few Auctions ending but few sold ... hmmmmm, wonder why THAT happened?!?

Regards,
Message 11 of 37
latest reply

I was wondering about that also. It might be because they are using an iPhone to bid on instead of a computer or an iPad. I notice a lot of people complaining about some settings using their iPhone on the Ebay App. Just a thought.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I was wondering about that also. It might be because they are using an iPhone to bid on instead of a computer or an iPad. I notice a lot of people complaining about some settings using their iPhone on the Ebay App. Just a thought.

@12345jamesstamps   Thanks for posting, in my cases I have never used the phone app ... 

Regards,
Message 13 of 37
latest reply

My 2 boxes are unchecked. So it might be a test that they didn't bother telling the testees about. Or they're rolling it out gradually and mine will get checked soon.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

My 2 boxes are unchecked. So it might be a test that they didn't bother telling the testees about. Or they're rolling it out gradually and mine will get checked soon.

@carlqsportscards   Like seeing if we are paying attention to the settings we have already made?  

Regards,
Message 15 of 37
latest reply