cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY ARE MY MONTHLY FEES SO HIGH??

Is anyone else experiencing exorbitant monthly fees? This is pretty much a hobby for me, earn a little "shopping" money here and there from estate sales. I can't imagine what the people who have stores and who rely on this income are going through. It seems that this all started when they made it to where all listings renew automatically. Most of my invoices are hitting in the 18-24% range....avg about 22%... with July hitting an all time high of 30%!! I have a perfect rating, am a power seller, etc. How the heck is this happening?????

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: WHY ARE MY MONTHLY FEES SO HIGH??

Well, for one thing, Ebay's little graphic uses shipping as part of the fees if you use Ebay labels.

Shipping is an expense that the buyer pays (or should be paying if you're doing it right.)

Ebay fees are 10% or less, unless you sell media (books, CDs, DVDs) and then it's 12%.  Add to that Paypal fees (30 cents plus 2.9%) and that would be your true fees for selling.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You need to look at your itemized invoice.  With no store subscription you get 50 free basic insertions per month, which includes new listings, relists, and fixed price listings when they roll over.  You have over 200 active listings, so unless you got some special short-term "free insertions" offer, you're paying the insertion fees for a LOT of those listings.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Instead of looking at fees as a whole-break it down by item.  You should already be doing this.

You should always know if you made or lost money on every single item.  And you can see the fees relative to the item sold price.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The charges are all itemized on you seller account activity so you can check the math.   Are you paying for a lot of listings?  They can add up, since I see you do not have a store, so will only have fifty per month that are free.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@wowza65 wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing exorbitant monthly fees? This is pretty much a hobby for me, earn a little "shopping" money here and there from estate sales. I can't imagine what the people who have stores and who rely on this income are going through. It seems that this all started when they made it to where all listings renew automatically. Most of my invoices are hitting in the 18-24% range....avg about 22%... with July hitting an all time high of 30%!! I have a perfect rating, am a power seller, etc. How the heck is this happening?????

My fees were actually 20% this month, that is way up. I guess welcome to the new Ebay, no sales and higher fees, yay.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Have you started charging for shipping or started charging more for shipping? Ebay doesn't include the shipping paid by customers in your sales number.  But, they do charge a fee on it.

For example:  

$10 fees on $100 with Free shipping =  10% of sales

$10 fees on $80 with $20 shipping = 12.5% of sales

$10 fees on $50 with $50 shipping=  20% of sales

That's my guess...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have posted on here several times and no one seems to care about Ebay's invoices. I have been charged double for store subscription since Sept of 18' and have caught several Fedex double charges and one "Dimension"penalty with Fedex of $98.  Called and through old invoices and threat of a lawsuit (over dimension deal) was able to get it all removed after 3 or 5 phone calls. Ebay is scrambling right now and like many corporate giants before them they will do anything to survive. ie. AOL, WorldCom.  Including stealing from the people who built them. Check your invoice every month. They are not to be trusted from here on out. They are not and never have been our Partners,Friends, or any of the other **bleep** they shoved down our throat.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

if you are using ebay's free fixed price listing offers that pop up every now and then  in addition to your free monthly listings, you are paying insertion fees for those above and beyond your monthly freebies when they automatically renew.

I no longer use the free listing offers because of this.  It has throttled the amount of listings I put up here severely, but I don't have the patience to play these games with ebay. 

Ebay would be wise to make the free listing offers available for termination after 30 days if they want sellers like me to list more items, which is a win-win for everyone.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Plus store fees for some. Plus listing fees. Plus promoted listing fees. Plus higher fees if seller metrics fall.

Feebay earned the nickname.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
Plus store fees for some. Plus listing fees. Plus promoted listing fees. Plus higher fees if seller metrics fall.

Feebay earned the nickname.

and in the shadow of Amazon, they should be LOWERING fees by now instead of using tactics like forced GTC with free listing offers that I'm sure have burned many unsuspecting sellers.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply