cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHO DOEES EBAY WANT AS SELLERS?

I'VE SOLD FOR 5 YEARS  AND MY LAST YEAR HAS BEEN DIFFERENT. ANY OTHERS FEEL UNAPPRECIATED?

KRMIDKIFF
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@tricolordog2012 what do you mean different ? can you be more specific?

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Possibly he is referring to his other thread, where he talks about suspension due to messages.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

You have a good question.

Sellers of many kinds, selling in many different sectors, report large declines that continue

But the Chinese selling junk with many negatives, and with postage subsidized by US citizens, get away with breaking every rule there is on the site and getting promoted, thus destroying uS businesses.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

IMHO they want sellers who

• have items that are in demand
  • have items that are not being sold by other sellers
  • do not generate returns or SNADs or INRs
  • ship quickly
  • do not cost them money in customer support
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@tricolordog2012 wrote:

I'VE SOLD FOR 5 YEARS  AND MY LAST YEAR HAS BEEN DIFFERENT. ANY OTHERS FEEL UNAPPRECIATED?

I certainly don't sell here so eBay will appreciate me. If that's why you are selling here, then you are here for the wrong reasons.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

• ship quickly

In all honesty I don't think the first two are actually that important overall as far as Ebay is concerned. It doesn't matter if you're a megaseller or a twice a year closet cleaner, Ebay want sellers who will toe the line, do what needs to be done without complaint, no/low cases, fast shipping, no large amounts of calls to CS.  They want sellers who keep up with changes.

I can guarantee you that the Chinese sellers, and large mega sellers don't clog the phone lines complaining about every change here.  They adapt. They don't sit around moaning when things change,  they just deal with them.

This isn't 1999 anymore, and Ebay isn't all hearts and flowers and Kumbaya and all that other stuff. Ebay is big business now, and big business doesn't give a rat's behind about anyone but themselves and their shareholders. They're not your friend, your employer or your business partner.  All Ebay owes anyone here is a place to list their stuff as long as you follow the rules.

Would I like a thank you or some acknowledgement of appreciation? Sure I would! Do I expect it? No - I'm dealing with a big, impersonal business on the internet that is apparently run by college educated drones with no practical experience in dealing with people. It's okay though, I deal with it.

I've sold here since late 2003, and have done my best to adapt to all the changes. I may not like them, but I do it because my stuff sells here. When my stuff no longer sells here, or I can no longer adapt, then I'm done. No fanfares, no ranting diatribes on the forum, I'll just move on.

Just my two cents FWIW

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

luckythewinner wrote:
WHO DOES EBAY WANT AS SELLERS?

• ship quickly

I pretty much agree.  I'd think eBay or any other site would want to host sellers who enhance their site with merchandise that will appeal to buyers and at prices that will entice them to buy. 

And then, sellers who are so good in listing their items, describing and photographing, that buyers aren't misled... so these sellers don't cause disappointed buyers or bring about cases having to be filed.  Having sellers that buyers don't have to question, don't have to wait days for delivery, don't have to make returns, etc.  Happy buyers can make a site.  Unhappy buyers can break it.

I also have always thought that eBay's customer service payroll is probably mostly spent dealing with the *little sellers*... Large business sellers seem to know how to minimize problems from ever occuring in the first place, but also know how to handle their few problems when they occur, and require a very small percentage of customer service time in comparison to all the problems and misunderstandings that the little guys find themselves confused and disgruntled with.  - -  So I'd think small sellers who know how to *deal* and can learn, adapt, and roll with the changes modern e-commerce requires would be of great value here.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Agreed with the above-- I think they want sellers who generate happy buyers, be they large sellers or small sellers.  Happy buyers keep coming back and buying more; unhappy buyers not only leave, but also will often tell their friends about what a bad experience they had and thereby can end up driving more potential buyers away.  That isn't in anyone's best interest-- not eBay's and not the other sellers' either.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea Hugs, high fives & cheers to you! Very, very well said. 

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea- while i agree with your assessment of the desired ebay seller profile, you miss the mark on one issue...

this is not a case of sellers being ebay's customers.  the sellers are the business partners of ebay--whether ebay likes it or not.  Any corporation that is relying on a partnership as their primary business model HAS to involve AND appreciate those partners.  if they don't, it will all eventually unravel.

obviously, it is up to the corporation who they choose to favor with their business relationships.  if ebay is willing to give china an edge, and if that continues to be a strength for them, then ebay will have that partnership on which to thrive.  If they lose american sellers due to that, they may not feel it is significant enough to alter what they do for the chinese sellers.

of course, if ebay's partnership with china becomes a liability, then they will reap any fallout from having lost domestic close relationships and "appreciation" of the western sellers.  but, will that happen?  who knows?

no matter what, ebay certainly does need to "appreciate" the sellers (aka business partners) who they value.  clearly, without the sellers, ebay would not exist.  the key is who ebay dotes on via their policies.

having said all that, i honestly do believe that ebay has made some changes in our favor.  i am hoping that new "report buyer" button means they are truly going to do something about scammer buyers, and that it's not just there to make us feel better. 😛

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

"postage subsidized by US citizens" is that true? I always wonder how that was possible for the Chinese or Indian sellers to ship to US freeshipping and items so cheep. Can you explain how that works? Just curious.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@311revolution wrote:

"postage subsidized by US citizens" is that true? I always wonder how that was possible for the Chinese or Indian sellers to ship to US freeshipping and items so cheep. Can you explain how that works? Just curious.

We pay about $4.30 for a 15 oz package.  Asian sellers send all their items in huge crates called ePackets (paid for by their respective governments). These are unpacked by USPS and delivered.  A 15 oz item from an ePacket costs them about $0.75, scheduled to rise to a whopping $0.87 on Jan 1st.

So yes every time we ship something or someone mails a stamped letter we, the US citizen is subsizing the Asian seller.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Aside from wanting sellers who speak fluent Standard Mandarin, I don't even think eBay has made up its mind.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

• ship quickly

Add: Generate the most fees. They don't even much care how. They're helping USA sellers by dropping them to standard or below.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 15 of 35
latest reply