cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtually no sales therefore I have stopped buying on eBay

I don't think that I am alone on this.  How can this be good for eBay in the long run?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Virtually no sales therefore I have stopped buying on eBay

Ebay is flushing your search results. They have been doing it for years. When you search for an item and your ip is close location wise to the listing IP you will get a hit. For everyone outside your area the listing does not even show up at peak searching times. Chinese junk sellers and huge accounts get all the hits. When the trottle it back you get sales. You ever notice you will be selling like crazy and then all of a sudden it is like someone turned off a faucet? That is Ebay flushing your search hits.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 26 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Same thing here i switched my store to the beginer store and ever since then not one sale its been over two weeks with nothing ebay sucks its time to go somewhere else i should have cancelled my credit card two months ago when i owed them almost two hundred in fees then they would have talked to me and paypal is a bigger joke with trying to get my social security number to send me a 1099 good luck with that.i'm done with ebay maybe if enough of us leave we can put them under its about time its time to bad mouth them on social media so all know.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

@djmovers99 wrote:

I don't think that I am alone on this.  How can this be good for eBay in the long run?

No you are not alone.

Don 't be concerned about what may or may not be good for ebay.

Your job is to determine how to go about increasing your sales on eBay.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Are your listings showing?

Sign out and sign back in to see what a buyer sees.

If so, then ebay is doing its job.  

Now you need to look at each one critically from a buyers prospective and see if titles, pictures, descriptions, prices, would entice you to buy if you were a buyer.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

You can’t jusr cancel your credit card and that’s the end of it. They’ll find a way to make you pay whether it’s collections or whatever. If your fees were $200 clearly you sold some items, and when sales are slow before the invoice payment period comes you thought of CANCELLING your credit card..wow. Your account and IP should be banned from eBay as we speak.
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

One day (hopefully not too late) ebay will realize what we've known all along. That the big box stores, mega sellers and the offshore sellers rarely buy here.

I venture to say a good % of the sellers here are also buyers and they won't spend when they are not selling.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

And you can not see that this is just a self fulfilling prophecy.

You stop buying because there are no sales, so there are no sales because you stopped buying, so you stopped buying because there are no sales, etc.

So what do you propose?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
One day (hopefully not too late) ebay will realize what we've known all along. That the big box stores, mega sellers and the offshore sellers rarely buy here.

But somebody is buying their products. And isn’t that really what eBay cares about - the SALE not the source of the sale. I can’t see that it makes a bit of difference to eBay as to who buys what - as long as somebody buys something. Who buys it or who they buy it from is irrelevant.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

This is circular reasoning.
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

EBAY has gotten horrendous....just threatened them, too, with moving to AMAZON....these new page formats are very MENTAL of them to change,,,
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@djmovers99 wrote:

No you are not alone.

Don 't be concerned about what may or may not be good for ebay.

Your job is to determine how to go about increasing your sales on eBay.

It seems as time goes on, even though more and more people are coming here reporting visibility issues, that more and more sellers are in denial that a problem exists.

All I can say is some of us really have done everything in their power, and still had visibility issues, with warnings on their performance page saying "Active listings down 30%" when active listings were NOT actually down.

Then a message "Active listings up 30%", and the issue resolved itself from that point on.

There really is a problem with visibility. If your store was affected by it, you would see a sudden decrease in 50% of your impressions. A large portion of your listings would get 0 visibility, even if you search it directly.

This is not "fake news". You can check my massive topic (the first topic I made on this forum) and I provide screenshots and explain my entire story from beginning to end with eBay.

During this story, not only is it very clear that there's a problem with impressions, but you have a blue from eBay confirm that what I said about the ridiculousness I had been dealing with them was true, and that from that point on we were being treated properly by customer service.

To this day, our problem has resolved itself somewhat, but we are 25% below what we have ever been at this time of year. Much better than before, but still not where we were. 

And a mistake that was eBay's responsibility lost our sales history, which is where the beginning of our impression issues started. We had no recompensation for that, either. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@amber_resin_fossils wrote:
This is circular reasoning.

But eBay is not built on nor does it operate on circular reasoning.  I get it that some users think this way but it is not the way this industry operates.

1. eBay has over 190 million registered accounts
  2. not counting all the buyer who now just use guest checkouts.
  3. eBay has about 25 Million seller accounts
  4. eBay complets over One Billion Transactions daily worldwide

as @richard1rst said buyers buy from the available inventory not the inventory that is not here.  It appears there are plenty of buyers for the items that are here based on the transaction totals.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

You stop buying because there are no sales, so there are no sales because you stopped buying, so you stopped buying because there are no sales, etc.

So what do you propose?

I'm not sure eBay lets you buy your own listings, so no.

What I propose is that eBay reverts back to the previous search engine and algorithm that they had in the first quarter of this year and before when I was happy as both a buyer and a seller.  That's assuming that eBay sees value in reverting back to the way things were before the last Seller Update.  Maybe things are better this way to eBay, but I see many sellers suddenly complaining about the exact same thing and the changes certainly aren't helping the stock price.  Ten million flies can't all be wrong.  My hope is that the software engineers did a "save as" with the old algorithm before making these changes.  Good luck to all!

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I actually joined this forum because eBay claimed there was not others experiencing these issues, and after being given the run around for more than 3 months, with a significant amount of data suggesting major technical issues at the very least... I wondered if that was true. I hoped to find just a single person who was experiencing the same things.

I was amazed when my post suddenly became the most active one on the forum. Not only did I find a single person experiencing the same thing, I was given an overwhelming amount of feedback of people thanking me for confirming to them that they were not alone. The post became the most liked topic all-time on this entire forum... 

It is obvious that this problem is fairly widespread. Especailly considering the drop is visible on top sellers if you check the sellers at top of your category last year to this year.

At this point, my hopes are that my reports of these errors will ever catch the attention of the tech team. Apparently the CSR's did not pass the message on, because the same statistical errors I reported in February are still going around.

EBay is mostly just silent on the issue.

But one thing I would have never expected, is those who would be most opposed to my work of trying to find these errors & bring them to eBays attention, so they can be repaired.... is that the people who would stand in the way of this issue being resolved, are actually other sellers???

I've been putting in hours of research daily for half of the year on this issue, in hopes of fixing this issue so myself & other sellers don't have to ever deal with the issues we have dealt with this year.

It's a real shame that other sellers are the biggest opposition of getting the serious issues recognized... It's hard enough that you need so much information to prove issues to the tech team. But with other sellers making it even harder? That makes it almost impossible...

Defending eBay may give the impression of doing something good, but in this case, it's just dooming other sellers to randomly lose 50% of their visibility, and never be told why, as they have to let their business and employees suffer...

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

So what do you propose?

All I can say is based on what I see in my categories, people are definitely buying.

Not everything like 20 years ago.  But if it is a good product for a great price, then yes, those items are selling.

So while some have said they stopped buying for one reason or another, it is not haaving much of an impact, imo.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply