cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of buyer fraud

I recently sold a BRAND NEW $6500 embroidery machine. The customer had the machine for 2-3 days then opened a NOT AS DESCRIBED case. I sent return FedEx label and received the return a week later. when I opened the box there was a very used $1500 embroidery machine inside. I immediately contacted eBay and gave them the serial number of the item I shipped and the serial number of the item that was returned. I sent pictures of the item that was sent and pictures of the item received on the return. I filed a police report. I contacted FedEx and found the return shipment weighed 15 pounds less than the original shipment. I contacted the customer to see if there was a mistake on the item the returned. They told me they did not know what I was talking about.

This is what eBay told me... There was nothing we could or would do. because the customer did not admit to the fraud in the emails. They told me I was on my own and that they would send the full refund! at the end of the case's waiting period.

I then contacted Paypal and was told they only protected buyers and that sellers are on there own. And that I should hire a lawyer and open a civil case against the buyer. MY HEAD ALMOST POPPED OFF!

So sellers, I would just like you to know you are not protected from buyer scams on expensive items... by eBay or Paypal and for you scammers buying expensive items and then returning inexpensive items...IT WORKS. And works very well! 

Need to upgrade your equipment? just buy new and send back your old wore out item. Ebay and paypal will help you. Just remember never admit to what you are doing in email! And you will get it for free!

Message 1 of 296
latest reply
295 REPLIES 295

Re: Victim of buyer fraud

I would go for a civil lawsuit against them 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 211 of 296
latest reply

Op's  Item  should have   a UPC barcode  plate  number .  

Message 212 of 296
latest reply

I am going after the scammer legally. A civil case is my only hope! eBay will regret the way they handled this. I have been in contact with my local news channel and Fox news. Fox news has actually responded and seem very interested in eBays approach to the matter. They do not act very interested in the scammer... but in eBays and PayPal policy, and the fact that selling expensive items on their platform is such a risky proposition.  If there are other ways of getting the word out  I would like to know? $6500 is very motivating! Please private message me with any ideas.

Message 213 of 296
latest reply

Hopefully this is resolved for you. The way eBay have acted is absolutely terrible. Maybe if Fox News runs with it, and highlights these forums, it may prompt a class action.

I was under the impression that "ignorance" is not a form of defense, however from personal experience and reading this forum, eBay certainly does know what is occuring, but choose to turn a blind eye in these cases, which eventually leads to the seller being stolen from. Good luck in your pursuit, and thank you for updating

Message 214 of 296
latest reply

UPDATE!

So eBay took the funds they had on hold this morning $6500  I then found that they want another $185 for final value fees. I called them to find out why? I was told because they (eBay) stepped in, I would not be getting my final value fees back. Or my Promoted listings fees $65 they then said...Had I just refunded the buyer I would have got those fees back. 

PERFECT!

Lesson total $6750
Message 215 of 296
latest reply

That is absolutely awful!!!!
Message 216 of 296
latest reply

THATS F***** UP -   (RELAX i SENSORED MYSELF)

Message 217 of 296
latest reply

$6500 item, i would get in my car and drive there and kick me some ars -  i won't sell anything on here thats worth any real money, you will get, well you knw the word im thinking!

Message 218 of 296
latest reply

File with the BBB in california as well.  Might or might not do anything but it will be on record.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 219 of 296
latest reply

yes i say e-bay is the biggest theft in the world. Been caught with this trick several times. The buyer can ship you back a box of s..t and e-bay will pay them to do it.

Message 220 of 296
latest reply

Lesson total $6750

And the Big Daddy: an Unresolved strike.

You're effectively on probation as a seller who needs improvement.

That's just carp.

Message 221 of 296
latest reply

You can contact USPS Inspector General, Homeland Security and the local police department where the criminal lives.  They'll send out a detective to investigate it.

Hasn't happened yet, in 20 years now of Ebay.

The police offer no protection to an ebay seller.

Sell accordingly.

Message 222 of 296
latest reply

We arent talking 50 bucks. We are talking grand larceny and a felony.  It is the same is if someone broke into a store and stole 6500 dollars worth of stuff.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 223 of 296
latest reply

I wonder if the buyer thought to wipe the old machine clean of fingerprints before mailing it to the seller? Forensics would probably be able to prove the old machine belonged to the "buyer" with thread remnants and specific dust and whatnot, but so very expensive. Otherwise there is the possibility that the serial number from the old machine was registered with the maker, or serviced. Just thinking out loud here. 

Message 224 of 296
latest reply

I wonder if the buyer thought to wipe the old machine clean of fingerprints before mailing it to the seller?

People here care.

Seller cares.

No one else cares.

Message 225 of 296
latest reply