cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variations feature

I am getting complaints from buyers on the variations feature.  Buyers make selections on a few items and then demand the entire inventory from the auction.  Is this a common problem in the community?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Variations feature

Only from folks who don't know how variation listings work (or are trying to bully you into freebies).

But then I don't say things like 24 of xxx in the title AND I always put pick from menu as well.

Make it CLEAR it's a variation listing.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

I sent a letter to the buyer confirming they are only getting one item not the whole lot as soon as they paid.  I suggest contacting them and confirming with them before you ship.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

Now I see the issue. Its with your title of the listing.  It even reads they are going to get 24 records

"24 Original Dion DiMucci Belmonts LP Record Albums From 1950's to 1980's"

"71 Rock, Pop, R&B, Doowop, Country, Misc. LP Record Albums 1950's - 1980's"

A better  title would be "Dion DiMucci Belmonts LP Record Albums From 1950's to 1980's YOU PICK" 

Or sell them in a lot or throw them out 🙂  Just like my items selling $3 items to people for a $1.75 profit isn't worth it 🙂

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

No, never. But as @toomuchstuffagain35 stated your variation listings are not clear enough. Your main problem is that you aren't taking separate individual photos of each variation you are selling, you are lumping them up all together to save time on taking photos. Don't do that. Obviously you know now it confuses the buyer or is a target for buyers to complain about and try to get freebies.

Don't cut corners and take the time to take photos of each variation you are selling separately and link the photos to each respective variation so the photo changes to that when a buyer makes that selection rather than still seeing a photo with a ton of CDs. As we can see here you are asking for trouble if you don't. I see a lot of SNAD returns in your future if you leave it this way.

However, I HAVE had buyers who make a selection and ask/demand a different selection. But they aren't demanding everything. Sometimes these buyers could just be oblivious on how to choose their variation or they actually are trying to take advantage of me by requesting a variation that is higher priced than the one they actually purchased. But your issue is a different story. Fix your listings.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

Generally, a lot use Variations listings wrong/ineffectively.  So yes, I think it's more of a common problem.

In this case, it's just using Variation listings on items that should have been listed separately from the beginning.    The 'variation' isn't even the SAME record artist.... that's a hella confusing Variation listing.

I agree with others that if you are saying '71 records' I can see why a buyer might expect that they receive 71 records.  Sure, you and I both would assume you aren't actually going to get 71 records for $10+shipping.  "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't".   However, why intentionally set yourself up for trouble?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

@rosszonebricks wrote:

Generally, a lot use Variations listings wrong/ineffectively.  So yes, I think it's more of a common problem.

I wonder if this is also the case in other selling channels. Because so many other online stores utilize variations in them, they're everywhere. Or is it just the way ebay is implementing them in the listing page interface? If you ask me, it's either from sellers trying to cut corners or trying to intentionally deceive to make a sale.

In this case, it's just using Variation listings on items that should have been listed separately from the beginning.    The 'variation' isn't even the SAME record artist.... that's a hella confusing Variation listing.

I agree with others that if you are saying '71 records' I can see why a buyer might expect that they receive 71 records.  Sure, you and I both would assume you aren't actually going to get 71 records for $10+shipping.  "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't".   However, why intentionally set yourself up for trouble?

I have a variations shirt listing with 14 colors to choose from, 5 different sizes. What would you think would happen if for that listing I put "70 T shirts" in the title? And even as the first characters of the title mind you? Tsk tsk. 😑

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

@thedieselofdoowop 

I'm looking at your listings... If I am looking at the titles and pictures, it looks to me that I am getting 18 Early Beatles and British Invasion singles in one listing... 28 Original Tokens singles in another... 71 Pop, Rock, R&B (etc) in another.

Your listings are confusing. Feels like a bait and switch to me and you're opening yourself up for some INAD returns

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

Those records are different items and should have their own listings.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

Thank you for all of your comments.  We will remove the specific number of items from the titles that have variations, then amend the descriptions for more clarity.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Variations feature

That number you use in the title is also incorrect in all of the listings that you already sold 1 or more items in.

For instance the listing that's titled "71 records..." let's say a buyer purchases one record. Now your listing is not as described because you technically have 70 records.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply