cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the email address ebay generates for the buyer

You know when you go to the order details and ebay spits out their own email for the buyer, "abunchofcharacters@members.ebay.com". 

I have a buyer who wants a return shipping label who wants to exchange their item and didn't open a return for. Typically I would just ask for their email so I can send the pdf return label file to them. What happens if I email that ebay generated email address with the pdf? Will the buyer get it and be able to download and use the label?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

They can if they have their email set up that way.  I do.  I have all my emails from the Ebay system drop into Outlook for me.  I find the emails much easier to manage that way.

You'd have to ask your buyer what they do.  But you might just test if for the buyer.  Send them an email with a test PDF attached and see how it works for them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You can do that in an Ebay email.  Just attach the pic or pdf to the email.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You can do that in an Ebay email.  Just attach the pic or pdf to the email.

How does the buyer receive it? In their own email inbox they linked to their ebay or within their ebay messages interface?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

They can if they have their email set up that way.  I do.  I have all my emails from the Ebay system drop into Outlook for me.  I find the emails much easier to manage that way.

You'd have to ask your buyer what they do.  But you might just test if for the buyer.  Send them an email with a test PDF attached and see how it works for them.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Sounds like the buyer needs to return the item at their own cost if they want to exchange for another size / color or whatever the issue is. 

If you try to issue a return label (not sure you can unless they open a case), but if you can issue without a case, you probably won't get anything back and the buyer will automatically be refunded when show delivered. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

You know when you go to the order details and ebay spits out their own email for the buyer, "abunchofcharacters@members.ebay.com". 

I have a buyer who wants a return shipping label who wants to exchange their item and didn't open a return for. Typically I would just ask for their email so I can send the pdf return label file to them. What happens if I email that ebay generated email address with the pdf? Will the buyer get it and be able to download and use the label?

I think in the past I've emailed a PDF to this email address, and it went through OK. It doesn't seem as though we can send a PDF through messaging, and when I tried to send a GIF or JPG, eBay shrunk the image so you couldn't read everything on the label.

Just check with the buyer they can read the label OK and received it. I'm pretty sure I've done this a couple of times (which is why I save all sales orders to PDF with this info before the 15 day expiry of the information).

C.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Sounds like the buyer needs to return the item at their own cost if they want to exchange for another size / color or whatever the issue is. 

If you try to issue a return label (not sure you can unless they open a case), but if you can issue without a case, you probably won't get anything back and the buyer will automatically be refunded when show delivered. 

There is no requirement by Ebay that says if a buyer wants to return an item they must open a Request for Return.  

If a buyer and a seller are communicating and together they decide that the buyer will return the item, there is no problem with doing this through Ebay emails.  

A seller has the ability to create a return label on internet sites that offer postage such as PayPal, Stamps.com, Pirateship, USPS and many others.  Then all they need to do is attach a PDF file to an email to the buyer.  The buyer can print it off and use it to return the item to the seller.

WHAT?  "...but if you can issue without a case, you probably won't get anything back and the buyer will automatically be refunded when show delivered. "  How would that refund happen.  If there isn't a Request for Return case filed, how or why would the buyer get automatically refunded?  Ebay isn't involved in this return, it is just between the buyer and the seller.  Why would a buyer not return anything?  That doesn't make sense.

I've done many of these over the years.  All my customers were fine and happy with the outcome.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply