cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AI option for description

Does anyone use or have tried eBay's AI option for their description? I clicked on it a few times out of curiosity but to me it is a highly "fluffed" description based on the title and photos and maybe item specifics. It does not give a description of the condition of the item which I consider to be the most important part of the listing. Any thoughts from others?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Using AI option for description

@amxjewel 

but to me it is a highly "fluffed" description

Using the AI option aligns your items with the new "fluffy" eBay search results that selects broad search results and unrelated Sponsored Ads. Instead of limited results of what users are searching for as when eBay focused on organic search results, eBay can better confuse users with "fluffy" search results.  By using the AI generated descriptions, you can help eBay sell your items by confusing users minds into forgetting what they originally searched for. Subliminal messages in the AI send an impulse to buy in the buyer.

eBay research has shown that using the AI generated descriptions can increase sales by 15% from this "fluff affect" on buyers. 🙄

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@keziak wrote:

The only thing it did for me was demonstrate what an AI-generated blurb would look like so now I recognize it elsewhere. 

One AI feature out there is actually kind of useful. It's on Amazon listings where it summarizes reviews. Though of course reviews on Amazon have issues due to fake reviews.

Though some people are brutally honest.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 175804.jpg

Those AI-written Amazon reviews like the one above have given me some big laughs when shopping over there. AI screwups are nowhere near as hard to find as you might think. It looks like summarizing views (not facts) from multiple sources about the item listed is one of the things that it has the most trouble with.

As for AI descriptions here it will draw heavily from the Item Specifics but does not always use them correctly when putting them into sentences. (There is also that godawful-stupid overuse of 'must-have' in every other sentence - where did THAT come from?) Lazy sellers using AI for descriptions tend to never proofread what they are posting to check for errors and thus end up boosting their chances for a Not As Described claim later on.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I use it sometimes but edit out probably half of it. Just a little over the top and repetitive in my opinion. Then I add my own info such as the condition, measurements, etc. 

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

The only thing it did for me was demonstrate what an AI-generated blurb would look like so now I recognize it elsewhere. 

^^^ This! And I hate it! 

The message it sends me is that a seller is too lazy to write their own honest and accurate description of the item(s) they're selling. And I wonder how honest those sellers are since I've never seen an AI description that seems to accurately depict the item.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

At best you end up with a wordy listing buyers won't bother to read.  At worst, an incorrect description that will lead to a return.  Best to write your own ads.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@calgal19572014  What you are doing is what I think ebay actually encourages sellers to do, and in my opinion is the only way to use it (if one is going to use it at all).

However, I think this exists primarily so ebay can say to the investors: "Look, we've got years worth of data to pull from, and we are making listing SO much faster by using our own Generative AI , so sellers will be able to list so much more stuff so much faster..."

I believe Jamie has also said that something like 90% of users use it without revision, and those of us who have actually looked at this, know that if that is true, well, it might make listing faster but it sure isn't increasing the quality of the listings.

In fact, I've yet to see any that really suggest ebay is pulling from much of anything outside the seller's own title, IS and maybe the photos. Years worth of data? I haven't seen it being used.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@amxjewel 

All of my items are hand crafted....no way I would use AI. 

Happy Selling 

(and Cinco de Mayo)

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

We love others using AL and hope that ever seller who lists the same things as us would ...

Stop writing detailed descriptions and jump on the bandwagon of the newest must have and single greatest innovation since the last computer based must have innovation, and it will fit with any decor and is pet friendly.  

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I may stop using the AI for the most part.  It definitely hasn't helped...sales are way down for me to the point I wonder why I bother anymore. Luckily for me it's only a hobby.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

I do not.  I believe the savvy buyer prefers an accurate description, dimensions and condition.  

Message 25 of 25
latest reply