cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unnecessary Negative Feedback

I am truly confused. I sold an item to a buyer. Shipped in 3 days of order. Buyer left a negative feedback. Buyer claims he was ripped off. The listing was plain and simple.  I went back and reread my listing and description. It was fine. Reported it to Ebay. Received an email claiming Ebay will ask the buyer to change his feedback but if not I should respect the buyers decision! What!? I am so confused! I have 100% seller feedback. Is this going to affect my rating? I am a small time seller and try to process, ship, and give positive feedback even if I feel it should not be sometimes. 

Does this mean I will be stuck with this negative feedback if he refuses to change it? I went back and responded politely to his feedback but now its still out there.

Thank you for listening.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I completely disagree with everyone in this thread saying eBay won't back you and you can't get a negative removed. I've had at least 10 removed in the 7 years I've been selling. Yes, it's true you can't get them all removed, and I recently got one I'm stuck with, but you can get some removed. It also doesn't matter if you get a rep from the US or India. The secret is that you have to give them a way to help you. What I mean by that is that they are not going to look at the feedback and think about what rules it might violate, or what removal policies might apply. You have to know why it should be removable, and calmly and politely explain to them why you believe it should be removed. That information came directly from an eBay rep many years ago, though not exactly in those words. When I look at your negative, and the original listing, I see nothing which would mislead the buyer or make him think he would be getting three. The picture shows one, the description doesn't say anything about three. Feedback has to be relevant to the transaction, and there is nothing about this feedback which relates to this transaction. He's a new buyer, so maybe he bought something from someone else and confused his purchase from them with yours. Regardless of where he got the idea that he should have gotten three, it did not come from your listing and therefore the negative is undeserved. My argument would be that the feedback is not relevant to the transaction because there is nothing in your listing which would have given him the indication that he was getting three. In the future, I would suggest using at least three pictures and specifically stating the quantity in the description.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

try calling direct.but since the shutdowns they seem to send a lot of auto replies 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@belah6204 wrote:

I am truly confused. IBuyer left a negative feedback. Buyer claims he was ripped off.

You are perhaps a victim of the eBay catalog or a confused buyer.

If it is the catalog, then the user searched for the product on Google and was directed to the eBay product page which has a title for 2X and shows a picture of 3X:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1600118656

I don't know if this is what happened, but it has happened in the past to other sellers.

If you have a confused buyer, who maybe saw the 3-pack listing and then purchased yours thinking it was the 3-pack ... well ... don't know what to say.  eBay has more than its share of dumb buyers.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Yeah your stuck - Ebay won't stand behind you ,,I have negative feedback because of slow USPS,and also because I wouldn't return shipping money,,Extortion is against policy but  Ebay won't follow their own rules and remove it - Best of Luck with that

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

The google price comes up at $2.94 for 7 oz of Suave hair styling gel at Walmart so maybe the buyer assumed at $9 he'd be getting 3?   There are lots of people who can't read or lack normal cognitive function but are able to use a computer or smart phone. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

since your listing did not state it was for 3 items, you 'should' be able to have this feedback removed.

also, I do not see a response to his feedback from you

here is the feedback policy link >

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-policies?id=4208

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I've been doing this for over 15 years...............Welcome to the world of ebay where the sellers have no recourse............Right now I have over 17,000 feedbacks and when I do get a negative it's usually from a newbie who has less than 50 feedbacks...............Good luck to you

Elliot Yablun
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It is just about impossible to keep from getting a negative every once in a while.  Often they leave a nonsensical reason.  I don't sell items under $20, one of my reasons is the low dollar sales seems to bring out the kooks, and to get a negative for $3 is hard to handle.  Be sure and leave a response to the negative, it will be posted under the negative.  I've put things like UNFAIR HOTHEAD RESPONSE.  I would have gladly refunded, it WAS AS DESCRIBED.   Reasonable buyers will not be effected.  Check the negatives the buyer has given out recently.  I had one that had given out 4 in the last week or so, and 10 or within a month.  I was able to get that one removed.   They are only on for a year, and then they are removed.  As long as you don't have very many don't worry about it, and don't let them keep you hostage.  If something bad happens like you can't find the item you sold (happened a few times) send a note that you will keep the address and ship it to him for free, sometimes that helps.  And I have found it later and did ship it to him for FREE!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Was it listed as 1,  with 3 available?

Most would understand that they were purchasing 1, but some have a lesser understanding of what they are looking at.

When I have multiples of an item to sell, early in the description it usually states that ..............  your purchase is for one (1) widget.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

It does not affect your performance metrics with eBay. 

It will show you as less than 100% positive feedback, but you aren't rated on your feedback rating, you are rated on other factors, speed of delivery, mailing within your mailing time, cancelling sales due to out of stock.

People can see that you are less than 100%, but people can read that feedback and will know that it wasn't your fault.

It bothers me when I get negative feedback too, but it won't affect your performance.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I completely disagree with everyone in this thread saying eBay won't back you and you can't get a negative removed. I've had at least 10 removed in the 7 years I've been selling. Yes, it's true you can't get them all removed, and I recently got one I'm stuck with, but you can get some removed. It also doesn't matter if you get a rep from the US or India. The secret is that you have to give them a way to help you. What I mean by that is that they are not going to look at the feedback and think about what rules it might violate, or what removal policies might apply. You have to know why it should be removable, and calmly and politely explain to them why you believe it should be removed. That information came directly from an eBay rep many years ago, though not exactly in those words. When I look at your negative, and the original listing, I see nothing which would mislead the buyer or make him think he would be getting three. The picture shows one, the description doesn't say anything about three. Feedback has to be relevant to the transaction, and there is nothing about this feedback which relates to this transaction. He's a new buyer, so maybe he bought something from someone else and confused his purchase from them with yours. Regardless of where he got the idea that he should have gotten three, it did not come from your listing and therefore the negative is undeserved. My argument would be that the feedback is not relevant to the transaction because there is nothing in your listing which would have given him the indication that he was getting three. In the future, I would suggest using at least three pictures and specifically stating the quantity in the description.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

same thing here...said no return but man couldn't read or didn't want to.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

It does effect your sales though. People will just buy the item from your competitor with 100% feedback. 

Short story. Feb through first week of august i averaged 8 sales per day. Weekends were 25. With 100% feedback. 2 weeks ago i got my first negative and never sold more than 3 a day since then with most days being one sale. My buyer revised back to positive a few days ago and this morning im dropping off 7 sales at the post office.

Its not just metrics it effects. This site is the flea market of online sales. Buyers know customer service is garbage here so they want the best reputation sellers possible. To think buyers here will take the time to read your past feedback when they are to lazy to read item descriptions is just wishful thinking.

Ebay also will not follow their own seller protection policies.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Usually out of 100 buyers one is Really crazy with obvious mental problems.

I got few of totally retarded buyers who sent me a crazy messages with profanity and harassment's.  Reported,no help. Just realized ,this is a junk place.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

You are absolutely correct, I quit selling items below 20.00 for years did not get a negative for like 20:years …then  I went back to lower prices recently and boom got a negative …

Message 15 of 17
latest reply