cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a cell phone

You

I’m selling a phone on eBay and have sold it through an auction. They buyer hasn’t paid, and won’t pay, unless I unlock the find my iPhone. Is it safe to do so? I’ve read in other areas where people get all the info from the device and just make a clone, is that something I should be worried about?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unlocking a cell phone

As far as I'm aware- find my iPhone only works if the phone is logged in to your Apple ID. Would you really want to ship a phone that's logged in to your ID with access to your personal information?

That doesn't address your entire question so wait for others to respond before you take any further action.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You should do a factory reset on the phone before mailing it out. Why would you want any of your personal info on a phone sold to a stranger? Update the IOS and that will rebrick the phone if you have unbricked it or added any apps that are not apple approved from the apple store. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If they won't pay let eBay open an unpaid item dispute and wait till it closes in your favor. Being that it is dead from water damage I am not sure how they expect you to do any software changes.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

iPhones are pretty much useless unless they are unlocked. I would never try selling an iPhone unless it was unlocked. As a rule you should sell items in 100% useable condition unless you sell for parts cheap.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply