cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. To Pull Out Of Cheap Shippeng Treaty

Looks like the flood of Chinese made goods on Ebay and other platforms may take a major hit if Trump follows thru. Not good for them but good for US sellers and manufacturers.

Yes folks it's true!

It's Ebay....so they CAN and DO make this stuff up!
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: U.S. To Pull Out Of Cheap Shippeng Treaty

I'm nervous about the Chinese sellers realizing they are getting screwed by the USA,

WHAT???  I'm not thinking they are the ones getting "screwed" here.  I'm not sure how you see it this way.  Asian sellers can ship from their country to ours for far less money that I can ship the same thing across the street.  And who's getting "screwed"?

so they could keep taking orders but not ship them, blaming it on increased postage rates.

Buyer's have protection in place against this type of behavior by sellers from ANY country, to include the USA.

Then they ask for more money for shipping, and still do not ship anything. It's not like they value the US market any longer.

Again, buyers have protections in place from sellers that do this.  Sellers that participate in running their business like this on Ebay will quickly get them businesses shut down by Ebay for cause.

I am NOT ordering from Chinese vendors until all this is sorted out.

Good.  While I think it is an over-reaction as nothing will happen for at least a year.  I think it is great that you will be buying from US sellers instead.

eBay may have A LOT of claims in the near future. Ditto for PayPal.

Neither site cares about that.  If a buyer has a seller acting as you describe above, that is the reason the safeguards are in place.  If they do this, they won't be selling on Ebay for long anyway.  So it would be a short lived problem.  Ebay nor PP will tolerate a consistant behavior by a seller as you described.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

What's all the emotion? Same as the tariffs? Are we going to bail out USPS as we did with the poor farmers? grinning

Whether you like it or not, Ebay relies on that little packet coming from China, same as many Americans do, same as Paypal does. And with them gone, the law of larger numbers, same as supply and demand, will tell us that somebody has to pay for that loss. Who do you think will be it? You!

Me? I am prepared, got another thing lined up. I probably will be playing golf. Wait! Can't do, I am going to be working so hard. 

latest reply

That is wonderful, and long overdue!Thank you for the info.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Right on. Lets get this train rolling on hyper speed !!!!

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Well folks, you might not like what you wish for - https://www.yahoo.com/news/return-sender-postal-union-warns-171845702.html

Now a top official is saying that the U.S. withdrawal could put a stop to International mail for the U.S.

"It will have dramatic consequences for American consumers. It will cost them enormously. They will be all alone against all the countries of the world," Clivaz told The Associated Press on Friday. "They won't even be able to send (a package) to a neighboring country. It's an accord that links everybody." - Pascal Clivaz, deputy director-general of the Switzerland-based Universal Postal Union.

"A U.S. pullout from the 144-year-old organization, a specialized U.N. agency, would strip the U.S. from access to special codes needed to send and receive mail internationally, Clivaz said. Any U.S. companies that need them — like FedEx or UPS — would lose access too, he said. This agreement regulates all the issues: technical problems, customs issues, security issues. Without the codes, without this green light, you can't move a single letter or package," he said."

Renegotiation of the treaty would require a majority vote among UPU members.

I don't know about you, but half of my buyers are overseas so....

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

What irritates me to no end is the amount of fake junk that has been flooding into the US from China for the past 20 years or so, and the fact that no one within goverment is willing to stop it.

Everything from counterfeit rolexes, nike shoes, expenive handbags, to golf clubs, rare coins (they are even faking the holograms on graded holders now), metal detectors, etc.

Every time, this gets passed under the rug as "we can't stop China.."./

NONSENSE! This stuff is coming into our ports, this means between China and the goods ending up in the USA, SOMETHING can be done.

But eBay and other venues profit on the sale of fake goods, so they turn a blind eye.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

I just want to play devils advocate here ...

Throwing the whole UPU agreement out is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater 😞

That same agreement controls the terminal dues system for ALL member countries.

Without the agreement in place, U.S. sellers will probably be charged MORE to ship to places like Canada, Australia and the UK. 

It also affects eDELCON agreements. Class I Postal Systems agree to track each other's inbound packets.

What happens to tracking on First Class International packages if there is no agreement?

That is what I am most concerned about.   In my 2 stores  I ship a lot of international packages, but if DELCON goes, there goes my intl. business.  And even if not, rates are likely to rise, which again, makes international sales more difficult.  Problem is the decider-in-chief has only room in his tiny brain for one simple idea at a time and has no concept of unintended consequences.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 37 of 37
latest reply