cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's Chat Managed Payments

Just finished reading today's managed payments chat. Lots of good, specific questions and a lot of evasive, effusive spin from the blues.

I can't imagine not offering PayPal during the holiday season. Equally troubling is daily bank deposits that won't be credited for 2-4 business days.

Scary stuff, indeed.

Message 1 of 607
latest reply
606 REPLIES 606

The main gist I got is Ebay is going to make lots and lots of money from the interest on that 2-4 day float.

Message 2 of 607
latest reply

Yikes, no paypal for buyers to pay with, but you have to keep money in paypal to pay for labels.  That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.   They never did answer if paypal can be considered as your bank on record.   I guess it was no.

Message 3 of 607
latest reply

The answer about partial refunds was really fun. You can't even partial refund for combined shipping unless the buyer files a SNAD! So when eBay's system won't cooperate in combining shipping, or when the shopping cart won't let a buyer request an invoice....

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Aug-22nd-from-1-00-pm-PDT-M...

Edit to add: I have a feeling that several of the questions won't receive a response today because they don't have the answers ready. That may be why Alan said we should subscribe to the thread for any updates.

Message 4 of 607
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Yikes, no paypal for buyers to pay with, but you have to keep money in paypal to pay for labels.  That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.   They never did answer if paypal can be considered as your bank on record.   I guess it was no.

They never did answer basically 100% of the questions asked.  The Titanic looks like a better idea than this.

Message 5 of 607
latest reply

@laylajames9 wrote:

Edit to add: I have a feeling that several of the questions won't receive a response today because they don't have the answers ready. That may be why Alan said we should subscribe to the thread for any updates.

Well, that's only fair. He can't be all things to all people. As long as the questions got submitted, I don't care if the answers don't come instantly.

alan@ebay: One thing I'm wondering if I've understood correctly: while there will be supposed daily fund transfers from eBay to your bank, are they still proposing to sit on your funds for 2-4 days? That is, on Day 5, does my bank receive the proceeds of sales from Day 1, or Day 4?

Message 6 of 607
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Well, that's only fair. He can't be all things to all people. As long as the questions got submitted, I don't care if the answers don't come instantly.

Neither do I. I would prefer to wait a couple of days and get specific answers then to have everything answered today with something generic that does not address the question.

Message 7 of 607
latest reply

@this4chris2012 wrote:

Just finished reading today's managed payments chat. Lots of good, specific questions and a lot of evasive, effusive spin from the blues.

I can't imagine not offering PayPal during the holiday season. Equally troubling is daily bank deposits that won't be credited for 2-4 business days.

Scary stuff, indeed.

I agree, with eBay in charge, it's scary indeed.  But I think the bit about PayPal you may have misunderstood.

Buyers will still have the option to select PayPal as a payment option.  It's sellers that won't be receiving their funds into their PayPal accounts, instead sales revenue will go directly into whatever bank account the seller has attached to their eBay account.   See this link and scroll down to the Strategic Partner section for affirmation:  https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-to-intermediate-payments-on-its-marketplace-platform/

About the delay of possibly 2-4 days in having your sales proceeds hitting your bank account after eBay releases the money each day?  I think eBay is erring on the conservative side when it comes to that, though it depends on your bank (not eBay).   Etsy uses Adyen for their back-end processing just like eBay will be transitioning to beginning this fall.  At Etsy, my money is released and it hits my credit union account within 24 hours.  Actually, what usually happens is Etsy releases the funds at  midnight, and it's in my CU account the next morning. But again, if there's a delay it's not because of Adyen or Etsy/eBay, it will be because of how fast your bank processes transfers.

What irritates about eBay's plan for managing payments in-house is the postage label bit where if we continue to purchase shipping labels through PayPal, we will have to fund our PayPal accounts independently, as all eBay sales revenue will go directly to a seller's specified bank account and never goes anywhere near PayPal.   It doesn't have to be that way. 

At Etsy, for example, you have a "house account" associated with your selling account where you can rack up such charges as listing fees and postage purchases and then either manually make a payment from your sales proceeds or another funding source, or just wait until the end of the month and it will automatically be  billed to the funding source you specified when you set up your Etsy account.

eBay essentially has/does the same thing with listing/FVF/store subscription fees at the end of each month, so there's no reason why they couldn't just make it possible to also let sellers carry a balance for postage purchased.   But for some reason, they've chosen not to which makes the changeover to a new system a real pain for sellers.   But I suppose, what do you expect?   This is eBay.  No doubt about it, it's going to be "fun"...   😞

Message 8 of 607
latest reply

What scares me is.....eBay is now going to count SNADs and INRs against the seller right? New seller metrics and those with too many SNADs get charged higher fees right? In the chat, they said that the only way sellers can issue a partial refund is by having the buyer open a SNAD & the seller responds by offering a partial refund & the buyer accepts it!! So.....is this going to penalize the seller? And is this going to lead to confusion& confusion as far as....what if the buyer denies the partial or asks eBay to step in? What if buyer or seller hits the wrong option?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 607
latest reply

Maybe PP should have stuck with the concept of being able to transfer cash to PP instantly from Coinstar machines.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 10 of 607
latest reply

Buyers will still have the option to select PayPal as a payment option. 

they will not have that option in this first phase............that's one of the problems with it.......going into 4th quarter how many buyers ONLY use paypal? and how much business do you lose not taking it until 2019.....  We were ready to do it, until that came up in a phone call from the "team".......

Message 11 of 607
latest reply

Looks like a giant mess to me....

Message 12 of 607
latest reply

As was responded on the Chat, 1 transaction per day max if the daily transfer is chosen.  A batch transfer for the days trasactions.  That is a good thing. No multiple transactions.  I will not do "daily". I don't xfer daily from PayPalslight_smile

As you are, I am also confused on where that 2-4 day delay is happening.

Next is...........   what happins if/when a SNAD/INAD/whatever is opened?  Presently the funds are frozen in PayPay. Are they going to put a "freeze" on funds that are already at our financial institution when a case is opened 2 weeks after we transfer it there????

Message 13 of 607
latest reply

@laylajames9 wrote:

The answer about partial refunds was really fun. You can't even partial refund for combined shipping unless the buyer files a SNAD! So when eBay's system won't cooperate in combining shipping, or when the shopping cart won't let a buyer request an invoice....

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Aug-22nd-from-1-00-pm-PDT-M...

I was just getting ready to comment on this.  The answer was:

@laylajames9 wrote:

How will partial refunds be handled, for example, refunding for combined shipping?

Hi @laylajames9.  Within managed payments, you can only issue partial refunds for transactions through the returns process. If there is an issue with the item, please ask your buyer to file a return request using a reason that indicates there is a problem with the item. You can then offer and send a partial refund once your buyer accepts the offer.

Besides the frightening concept that a magnanimous gesture of refund for overpayment of shipping is considered a problem with the item (thus counting against the seller, of course), I didn't get there in time to ask if partial refunds will be handled as they are now - meaning no pro rata refund of fees.

Nice little gig for ebay ...

Did anyone understand the no paypal now but it will be back by Summer, 2019 line that was repeated several times?   Where is paypal going?  Time out ?

I use paypal for many, many transactions online, not just here.  But I do wonder if ebay buyers/sellers are the rebar holding paypal together.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 607
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

As was responded on the Chat, 1 transaction per day max if the daily transfer is chosen.  A batch transfer for the days trasactions.  That is a good thing. No multiple transactions.  I will not do "daily". I don't xfer daily from PayPalslight_smile

As you are, I am also confused on where that 2-4 day delay is happening.

Next is...........   what happins if/when a SNAD/INAD/whatever is opened?  Presently the funds are frozen in PayPay. Are they going to put a "freeze" on funds that are already at our financial institution when a case is opened 2 weeks after we transfer it there????

That’s a good question Jack! I doubt they can freeze your bank account but I could see them freezing payments coming in & not transferring them to your bank!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 15 of 607
latest reply