cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwing all of my inventory away

I wish there was a way to know how many sellers throw away/donate their inventory.  Do you throw yours away ever?  Donate it?

I have donated some of mine but if I can't give away my inventory in front of the worlds largest audience here on eBay,  there is absolutely no point in donating what no one wants.  It's a sinking feeling but I've made my profit and what remains is garbage.

Opinions?

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: Throwing all of my inventory away

If it's any consolation, I would put a big, fat bid on that Matilda Jane tunic top if it would fit, but my big fat hips won't let me. cry  It is soooo cute and sooo me! 

If your mind is made up and you just don't want to fool with the stuff anymore, donate it. Don't just toss it, that would be a shame.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 46 of 92
latest reply

@haute_again wrote:

@klassic*kids wrote:

@haute_again Kirsten,

However, my inventory is not nearly as high-end as yours.  You have a few extremely nice pieces. Instead of just dumping it have you considered putting some of them up at auction and starting the price off at an extremely bare bones figure?  I'd bet some would sell and at least you could make a little something whereas by donating you make nothing.  Just a consideration.

I hve both eBay & Etsy going at $9.99 right now.  Nothing is moving.  I had 2 small sales on Etsy, 1 bid  on my ebay auctions this week.  It's all just sitting there.  I've been turned, "off" for a good couple of weeks now.

I get it.  I am in a real drought for a couple months now.  But for this instance this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESCADA-White-Victorian-Ruffle-Blouse-with-Crystals-Size-36-6-8-/122394398362...  It's a gorgeous shirt and no doubt worth $50.  However, if it's not selling and you just want it sold I'd start on auction on with a $19.99 start price.  It may go higher, it may not. But at least you make something from it.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 47 of 92
latest reply

To be honest with you, I've never had to donate/discard any of my inventory. All it takes is maybe lowering the price a bit or offering free shipping. Take your items that you consider "garbage" and have a garage sale. If they don't sell there, then donate them to a charity.relieved

Message 48 of 92
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:

@haute_again wrote:

@klassic*kids wrote:

@haute_again Kirsten,

However, my inventory is not nearly as high-end as yours.  You have a few extremely nice pieces. Instead of just dumping it have you considered putting some of them up at auction and starting the price off at an extremely bare bones figure?  I'd bet some would sell and at least you could make a little something whereas by donating you make nothing.  Just a consideration.

I hve both eBay & Etsy going at $9.99 right now.  Nothing is moving.  I had 2 small sales on Etsy, 1 bid  on my ebay auctions this week.  It's all just sitting there.  I've been turned, "off" for a good couple of weeks now.

I get it.  I am in a real drought for a couple months now.  But for this instance this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESCADA-White-Victorian-Ruffle-Blouse-with-Crystals-Size-36-6-8-/122394398362...  It's a gorgeous shirt and no doubt worth $50.  However, if it's not selling and you just want it sold I'd start on auction on with a $19.99 start price.  It may go higher, it may not. But at least you make something from it.

It's crazy, I'm not sure how far back you can see but I've had this blouse listed at auction for $19.99 to 29.99 for about 3 months with no bids but lost of jerks asking me to give it to them for $3 and free shipping.   To add insult to injury some angry clothing seller came here and bashed me around a bit for having such low prices....  so then I raised them to quiet the nastiness...  and still nothing.  NO page views, nothing.

I just had a $420 Valentino Roma skirt end with no bids at 24.99

That Matilda Jane blouse the poster abover you mentioned has also been sitting there at 9.99 for about 3 months now. 

I'm amazed at the oohs and ahhs I get on my items yet this month I have ZERO traffic, ZERO sales and I consider it all a bunch of garbage after staring at it so long.

I've gone through all of the phases of hate, anger, denial over the fact that a certain international selling community is currently selling the knock off versions for 10 times more than I can get for the authentic version.  Ebay has my listings so buried it's criminal.

Message 49 of 92
latest reply

@stonevintageYes by the way, I have been reading your posts.  You and I mirror each other frequently.   Frustration has reached a boiling point.

Message 50 of 92
latest reply

Yes... and that's the way it is.  I took a couple of days and sorted thru 200 items of clothing.  Sorted them into - "I'm keeping for my use",  "donate" and "resell locally".

Then I got an education.  The higher end clothing hadn't just fallen of the ebay radar but I couldn't sell them locally for 1 dollar each.  This Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne, Chico's etc.  These people have storage facilities full of clothing because their clothing's not selling.  They're stuck too.  This ties back into the beginning of the topic where someone said "those thrift stores are only keeping "trendy item" and trashing the rest.....  What sells, sells and what's not moving after 90 days does not sell. 

What the market wants and what they will pay rules.  Just because my stuff has better name tags on it does not mean it's worth anything anymore.... I recently had to let this thought flow thru to keep my sanity:)   But! I'm keeping the Tommy Bahama mens silk shirts and a few other things that the solds and my solds prove.

I still have not given up those hundred pieces yet, but it will happen before Friday.   I've been deciding who to donate them to and that group is going to my Humane Society Thrift Store.  I'm an animal lover and their store's suffering due to recent bad management (been corrected).  They need huge help and it will help merelieved

Message 51 of 92
latest reply

@stonevintageI have never been able to sell a Chico's for the life of me!  Remember when Travelers was selling like hot cakes?  I couldn't sell it.... but I could flip a St. John like no tomorrow when other people couldn't.

Funny how we get pushed into our niche's like that.

Anyway, the weather has been funky.  It's like spring in the mid-west when there should be snow.  The northeast is in an awful storm when they should be seeing spring.  My listings are mostly Spring and I really doubt that someone sitting in a blizzard is shopping for crop tops.  I don't have any crop tops but you know what I mean.

*sigh*  I have a couple wintery off-season items I can list and a couple of things I haven't photographed yet.  It is what it is.  The rest... it's going in the garbage 🙂

Message 52 of 92
latest reply

Lol... St John like gold!  Sold every piece at amazing prices:) I did well on Vtg Tommy Hilfiger for a long while, RL too but gone, gone.  Oh, you broke my heart about Travelers!  I had a few of them held out in case I ever hit the lottery and simply must be on a cruise ship round the world in a few months. 

Anyway! - I'm not quitting and I know you're not either.  Just a "shift" into new possibilities with more moderation.  My future choices are going to be rock solid needs for peeps, not tags, trends or high theft items.   He he.... gonna take even more savy and skill to refine .... the new line....:)   He.. yea, we can:)

Message 53 of 92
latest reply

@haute_again wrote:

I wish there was a way to know how many sellers throw away/donate their inventory.  Do you throw yours away ever?  Donate it?

I have donated some of mine but if I can't give away my inventory in front of the worlds largest audience here on eBay,  there is absolutely no point in donating what no one wants.  It's a sinking feeling but I've made my profit and what remains is garbage.

Opinions?

--------------------------------------------------

Yes, I throw them from room to room and hope one day I will list them.

Message 54 of 92
latest reply

I can't give St John or Escada away.  I have some nice vintage and they barely get a look.  And I don't really like trying to list Chicos because about half the buyers omplain about the size because Chicos size structure is different.

Right now I am doing well with lower priced products because I think that people are a little insecure.

(*Bleep*)
Message 55 of 92
latest reply

I understand but even top tags go out of fashion because they are out of style too.  Show me one "style" that is still timeless and has endured the last few years.  My beloved pea coat (quality, mens-womens) talk about timeless... now can't give em away this last winter.

With the Chico's stuff, if you still wanna try.... go to Chico's site and snap a pict of their size chart to insert as photo 3 or 4 of your listing.  Mention referral to size chart - see photo # so and so and incorporate that into the body of your description.  For Chico's - 2 extra steps.  1. insert size chart into photo set and 2. refer to that specific photo in your description body.  You can't lead them more than that.....

Message 56 of 92
latest reply

Please list the Tommy silk shirts, my DH's BDay is in July!
Message 57 of 92
latest reply

@haute_again wrote:

It's crazy, I'm not sure how far back you can see but I've had this blouse listed at auction for $19.99 to 29.99 for about 3 months with no bids but lost of jerks asking me to give it to them for $3 and free shipping.   To add insult to injury some angry clothing seller came here and bashed me around a bit for having such low prices....  so then I raised them to quiet the nastiness...  and still nothing.  NO page views, nothing.

I just had a $420 Valentino Roma skirt end with no bids at 24.99

That Matilda Jane blouse the poster abover you mentioned has also been sitting there at 9.99 for about 3 months now. 

I'm amazed at the oohs and ahhs I get on my items yet this month I have ZERO traffic, ZERO sales and I consider it all a bunch of garbage after staring at it so long.

I've gone through all of the phases of hate, anger, denial over the fact that a certain international selling community is currently selling the knock off versions for 10 times more than I can get for the authentic version.  Ebay has my listings so buried it's criminal.

I didn't look at your unsolds/ended so didn't know you had already tried listing it for 19.99 auction.  I can't believe it still didn't sell.  And that's just ridiculous that another seller griped about it.  My gosh -- you just want to move your merchandise.

Believe I do get how it all begins to look like a 'bunch of garbage" looking back at you when you just aren't selling.  I hope your initial investment wasn't that big.

I know there are people who believe you don't get as much visibility when you use relists and do 'sell similar' instead.  Maybe if you tried listing them via sell similar with lost priced auctions.

Your stuff isn't garbage.  For some reason it just isn't selling and maybe it isn't being seen.  I know it's been a few months but I've had things listed for much longer with no interest and then suddenly it sells.  Happened to me yesterday as a matter of fact.  I got a bid on something which I had had listed for over a year.  Just waiting for the right buyer to come along. So don't give up.

Maybe sell similar low cost auction price then don't even think about them.  Don't look at them, don't look at your listings and just wait for the bids to come through.

I wish I had better advice for you.  But trust me -- I know exactly where you are coming from.  Hang in there.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 58 of 92
latest reply

I have no better advice for you than all the others have already given you.  I just wanted to empathize with you.  I have a ton of inventory, and daily struggle with what to do, the only thing that keeps me here is my sheer laziness.  I'm too lazy to go through my listings and remove old items! lol  I'd rather add new listings, it seems more hopeful to me.  Have always had about 500 or so listings up, so the older ones must move around some.

In the past I have lotted items up, just to get them sold.  But you don't have enough items listed to do that.  And you have nice, bigger $$ items.  It's really sad, IMO, that big brand names don't sell like they used to, even IF the prices are lower.  I used to get so excited hunting for those items, now I don't even bother.  I just look for what is common, or semi-in style still.  It's a hard thing to try and figure out what works anymore, if anything ever will again.  unamused

Message 59 of 92
latest reply

just list them for low price and donate whole money for sales, may only shipping fee goes to you if you have prepaid shipment. If I could sell I would donate for animal caring organization- I am a foreignerand postage is very high from here, thus I can not be a seller, but if I were a seller I would donate for kittens caring organization, sometimes I donated money via Paypal and eBay anyway.

Message 60 of 92
latest reply