cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling

I know this speculation has been around since the beginning but where there's smoke there's fire.  I've noticed disturbing trends in sales that points to accounts being throttled to only allow me to make around a certain amount on a weekly basis.  Why my sales could be so great for days and then drop down to almost nothing when I reach a certain dollar amount is suspicious to say the least.  Then when a day rolls off the 7 day sales number and drops it down it will go back up again slowly. 

This is not cool and I know I'm not wrong.  It's been going on for years.  I don't know why ebay won't allow me to have organic growth but it's not right.  I'm trying to grow my business and post more but if I'm going to be held back by some kind of computer algorithm what's the point of trying to grow?

I need ebay to stop stepping on my coat tails and let me go.  I can grow and make more for both of us but if my "silent partner" is going to work against me it's a losing battle. 

I know I'm not the only one who's experienced these weird sales patterns so please feel free to share yours.  I'm not looking for answers, I know not to expect that by now but I do hope that ebay will read this and lift the weight off me so I can start growing again. 

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Throttling

How has promoted listings taken the fairness out? You as well as any other seller has the option to pay to promote your listings. I incorporate promoted listing costs into my business model and buy my inventory accordingly. 

If I can't make the margin after I want with the purchase price plus all selling costs including promoted listing fees taken into account I will pass.    

Message 61 of 70
latest reply

Vroom, Vroom........ LOL

Message 62 of 70
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@bonjourami wrote:

Why in the world would Ebay reduce your sales?

Have you heard of promoted listings? Cassini?

That is exactly what they want, reduce someone so someone else makes more.

That argument doesn't hold any water when it comes to sellers of OOAK items, though. If there's only one person selling a purple elephant lamp, a buyer who is looking for a purple elephant lamp doesn't have any other seller to buy that lamp from instead.

Key words. Cassini doesn't care what the item is.

What they do want is people fighting over percentages to decide who gets seen and who doesn't.

Couple that with ebay not having enough bandwidth in the first place and you get  brownouts for the rest of us slobs.

Message 63 of 70
latest reply

I sell seeds.  I am being "throttled" also.  I am strategically being cut off at 37 dollars per day average.  This is a seasonal business.  In January, I made an average of 33 dollars per day.  Last year at this time it was 93 dollars per day and by April it should be 100-200 dollars (most I made in a day was 600) in sales (before shipping and overhead costs.)  My Amazon store got sabotaged right before this and is selling a throttled 2 packets per day.  Today it was 1 packet.  I'm **bleep** as hell about this crap.  It's like some communistic method of sales control and highly illegal.  When I make a sale on my website, the ebay sales stop for the day so I still only make an average of under 40 dollars.  I can map out the patterns and it's criminal communist hacking.  Also, my outgoing phone calls are diverted to criminal hackers and I've already spoken to the FBI and will be going to the county sheriff soon also.  Whether they will do anything or not, I don't know, but if they don't do anything they are supporting communistic illegal criminals.

Message 64 of 70
latest reply

I listed under "promoted listings" for about 30 listings (out of 200 listings with multiple items available for each listing) when I first started selling.  None of the promoted items sold even one product in an entire year of being "promoted."  The other non promoted items sold a lot.  I have sold 24,000 small items in the past year, and I don't promote any anymore.  because promoted sold NONE.   Go ahead and gaslight me and tell me that's not rigged.

Message 65 of 70
latest reply

Just 1c auction everything! Cheapest on the net in search engine landings!  Guessing that would be the 80%+ traffic from outside the bay. 

Message 66 of 70
latest reply

This "throttling" described is simply "communism" and it's a problem.  People used to hate communists and consider them criminals.  They are criminals.

Message 67 of 70
latest reply

@creativeinfinityart wrote:

This "throttling" described is simply "communism" and it's a problem.  People used to hate communists and consider them criminals.  They are criminals.

Ronald-Reagan-012.jpg

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

I've been saying for years that Ebay must be throttling my listings.  I've been on Ebay since 1999 and used to sell a decent amount of stuff (non-business), and make a little extra money. 

Now, I get NO hits, almost no sales, and I am paying fees for not selling anything.  

What really gets me is when I list something that has sold plenty of times by other sellers, yet my listing doesn't sell.  It can have better photos, a better description, a better price, better shipping cost, and yet my listing doesn't sell.

You can say "conspiracy theory" all you want, but facts are facts.

Message 69 of 70
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 70 of 70
latest reply